South Carolina Game Discussion

• 180 replies

crgreen

Re: South Carolina Game Discussion
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2012, 11:25:37 PM »

If this team plays with this type of intensity the rest of the season there is no way they shouldnt hear their name on selection sunday.

If we play that way, there's no way a selection committee's decision is even involved... :)

redslope

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »
Tonight was a fun game to attend.  Props to the student section and their who wears short shorts cheer.  the SC guy wears his shorts with the elastic waist turned over to shorten them.  reminded me of the catholic High School girls and what they did to shorten their uniform skirts before and after school.

the zone was very effective tonight.  Amir has a knack for rebounding.  D is unbelieveable in not forcing.  Marco showed what he can do when he gets the ball in the right spot.  Possibly with pure point guard in Branch, he will be an effective weapon.  Also looking forward to Phil the 4th playing the off guard position.

another good sign was the minutes distribution--D played 30 and everyone else less unlike last year when they were playing 36+ minutes and draging down the stretch.  this enhanced the zone defense which had good pressure/movement.  can;t wait for Branch and Sanchez as it could be incredible intensity.  Tonight was good for future recruiting as it was a good example of Lavin BB concepts and very fun for players!

was disappointed in Frank martin--was expecting a show like Rice.  he was loud for the first 10 minutes and then mostly behaved; guess he realized you don't best a dead horse.  But in those first 10 minutes he lived up to his reputation.  even my wife commented how could any one play for someone like him the way he gets in the face of his players.

paultzman

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2012, 11:40:31 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: St. John's Harrison Has Potential to Be a Dominant Big East Player; South Carolina's Williams Taken AWay on Stretcher… http://t.co/1pCSA8O3

Moose

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2012, 11:42:11 PM »
Tonight was a fun game to attend.  Props to the student section and their who wears short shorts cheer.  the SC guy wears his shorts with the elastic waist turned over to shorten them.  reminded me of the catholic High School girls and what they did to shorten their uniform skirts before and after school.

the zone was very effective tonight.  Amir has a knack for rebounding.  D is unbelieveable in not forcing.  Marco showed what he can do when he gets the ball in the right spot.  Possibly with pure point guard in Branch, he will be an effective weapon.  Also looking forward to Phil the 4th playing the off guard position.

another good sign was the minutes distribution--D played 30 and everyone else less unlike last year when they were playing 36+ minutes and draging down the stretch.  this enhanced the zone defense which had good pressure/movement.  can;t wait for Branch and Sanchez as it could be incredible intensity.  Tonight was good for future recruiting as it was a good example of Lavin BB concepts and very fun for players!

was disappointed in Frank martin--was expecting a show like Rice.  he was loud for the first 10 minutes and then mostly behaved; guess he realized you don't best a dead horse.  But in those first 10 minutes he lived up to his reputation.  even my wife commented how could any one play for someone like him the way he gets in the face of his players.

Carrera was a nut when I saw him in HS.  The kind of player you hate to play against but want on your team.  With the short shorts he looked like Artest back in HS.

Mixed up some more man which was nice.

Martin looked like he took a quelude or something.  No emotion at all.  The assistant next to him was constantly up.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
And great to hear that Williams was released from the hospital and will travel back to SC with the team.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
And great to hear that Williams was released from the hospital and will travel back to SC with the team.

Praise.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2012, 11:52:13 PM »

Got more info from Kara Lawson announcing this game than I've heard in the last couple months on Sanchez.   Clarifying it's the time between starting school, dropping out when his folks died to support the family, then coming back to school that's at the root of the delay.    Also liked her quoting Earl Watson - a National TV audience (well, as national as espnU gets) heard Earl's opinion that Sanchez is "good enuf right now to start for the Utah Jazz".... Good stuff.   

If that story is true, that is the most NCAA-type-of-thing EVERRRRRR.  So the kids parents die and he has to go and work to support family for a while and the NCAA enforcement staff is taking THIS long to rule the kid eligible?? Ridiculous.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »
Best game St. John's has played all season. Really making good strides.

http://johnnyjungle.com/game-recap/red-storm-blows-out-gamecocks-in-sec-vs-big-east-challenge/

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »
Loved the game and thought crowd was into it. It seemed like we had a ton of deflections, which, as Pitino always says, leads to good things. Felix is so much fun to watch. He is tough, battles constantly, obviously jumps to the moon and is perfect for our style. What a nice surprise thus far!

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
Was nice to see. Lotta positives.

But 'fore y'all go leaping, I think Fla Gulf would beat SC four outta every seven games.  Just sayin.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:03:05 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »

But 'fore y'all go leaping, I think Fla Gulf would beat SC four outta every seven games.  Just sayin.

Agreed Choz, but I must say I see a lot of growth in the kids and expect the positive trend to continue. The D is coming along, but rebounding remains an area of concern, All in all, I like this squad and will enjoy seeing it evolve.

desco80

« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
This was fun to watch.   A very promising future considering these guys are all freshmen and sophomores.   

Gotta remind myself though, don't get too high after a win, or too low after a loss.   Reality is probably somewhere in the middle. 

desco80

« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2012, 12:10:30 AM »

Agreed Choz, but I must say I see a lot of growth in the kids and expect the positive trend to continue. The D is coming along, but rebounding remains an area of concern, All in all, I like this squad and will enjoy seeing it evolve.

Agree Paul, we looked much better.   The defensive switching was better too.   Didn't leave shooters open very often if at all.
Interior defense was a bit weak though, we gave up a lot of easy layins around the basket.   Not used to seeing that.   We got our share of blocks, but there were times were I thought we were leaving our feet too early and giving them easy baskets off ball fakes.   
Some of that is probably positioning though as well.   Seems like we let guys get position near the basket too easily.

But overall can't complain.   Great effort.   Hope the team continues to develop. 

Poison

« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »

Glad to hear that. Pretty scary moment.

MCNPA

« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2012, 01:05:58 AM »

You're probably right, but we're still getting better fast.  I think we quietly played a pretty tough early season schedule, and while we could probably have been undefeated, we have had some solid tests early.  We'll be better for it.  Any way you cut it, it looks good to destroy an SEC team.

« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2012, 01:44:40 AM »
One thing that really impressed me was Obekpa's passing.  He had 2 tremendous passes out of the paint that led to wide open layups.

Marillac

« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:29 AM »

Carrera was a nut when I saw him in HS.  The kind of player you hate to play against but want on your team.  With the short shorts he looked like Artest back in HS.

Mixed up some more man which was nice.

Martin looked like he took a quelude or something.  No emotion at all.  The assistant next to him was constantly up.
Very good looking player that is similar to Chris Gaston in a lot of ways.  Does work on the boards...gotta respect that.  South Carolina is horrible, and I think that is why Martin was so relaxed. He'll have them up and running next year, but this year is just for learning and laying the foundation.

I thought our guys looked great.  First time all year I felt the defense really wanted it.  They are definitely making strides there, but there is still so much ground that needs to be made up.  Garrett was sensational.  I actually fear for his safety with how hard he goes after offensive rebounds.  I've seen him hit the deck hard at least once every game.  He's still feeling out his role this year I think, but he will be a big part of the team when he settles in. 

Balamou does not look like a freshman.  The poise, the patience, the pace he plays with...wow.  He wants it too and works for it.  I'd play him at PF over Jones if it came down to it. 

Marillac

« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2012, 02:02:19 AM »
One thing that really impressed me was Obekpa's passing.  He had 2 tremendous passes out of the paint that led to wide open layups.

Great vision in high school, but had some terrible habits there:  underhanded passes, lazy passes, etc. 

crgreen

« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2012, 02:16:15 AM »

Great vision in high school, but had some terrible habits there:  underhanded passes, lazy passes, etc.

Probably didn't take Rico long to target those issues.

MCNPA

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2012, 03:08:15 AM »

He's learning his role, even in or offense at an extremely fast rate.  I love both Obekpa and Balamou.  Two kids that learn fast, play extremely hard and totally understand the team concept.  Can't believe Balamou was basically unrecruited at this level out of HS.  He's going to be tremendous, and is already a kid that can change games.