Amir Garrett Next Year

• 55 replies

crgreen

Re: Amir Garrett
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
I love how hard this kid plays all the time but does anyone else think he will not be on the team next year.

I think his basketball skill set is clearly limited and his potential to be a professional player is in baseball.

I think he will continue playing basketball, there is zero financial incentive to give up basketball for baseball.

With that said, I am not 100% positive he comes back. I am alarmed how much his minutes have dropped and I think this is a huge error on the part of the staff. He clearly brings more to the table on most nights than Phil in my opinion.

The problem is, he's NOT been as good as either Jakarr or Sir Dom.  They've TAKEN his minutes.   In order for this team to win, they need those two on the court as much as possible, and Obekpa HAS to get a large chunk of the minutes up front they DON'T play - cause while Garret may be further along in development, CO's potential is SO high you HAVE to give him the minutes this year - because of the payoff NEXT year.

desco80

Re: Amir Garrett Next Year
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
In fairness to Amir, he was never expected to be as good as Dom.   
People forget Dom is the highest rated recruit we've signed to date in the Lavin era. 

Arguably, Dom underperformed as a freshman, but is making up for it now in a hurray and it makes Amir look like he's standing still.
Dom realizing his potential doesn't mean Amir isn't improving.   I think he is. 

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
In fairness to Amir, he was never expected to be as good as Dom.   
People forget Dom is the highest rated recruit we've signed to date in the Lavin era. 

Arguably, Dom underperformed as a freshman, but is making up for it now in a hurray and it makes Amir look like he's standing still.
Dom realizing his potential doesn't mean Amir isn't improving.   I think he is.

agree with this 100%.  right now, amir is a PF in a SF body.  i think he will both refine his perimeter skills and get stronger.  he's already valuable but i believe he will be a difference maker in the future

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
I still see a lot of promise in Amir. By the time he's a senior (assuming he stays 4 years), he will be very good for us.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
From what I got out of knowing (use that term lightly lol) Amir last year was that he will ride the basketball/baseball thing as long as he can before he makes a decision. Although I expect him to obviously be pitching in the Reds organization full time by the time its all said and done, in two years.

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 04:15:11 PM »
I think the only way it will become an issue is if the Reds start to pressure him about it.

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
I think with Amir the thing is that he loves to play basketball, he loves STJ and he loves his teammates. Those factors are huge. He and his family are not hurting financially, so there is really no incentive for him focus on one over the other. His arm is not going to get any weaker playing basketball, and in fact, with the minimal amount of pitching he has done compared to other prospects who focus solely on basketball will only help him down the line with a potential baseball career.

By staying at STJ he can play basketball during the school year, baseball during the summer, loose almost no money/value, and also get a free education if neither sports pan out in a professional manner.

I wouldn't anticipate Amir leaving until he has a 4 year degree and has let the entire basketball dream pan out.

TONYD3

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 04:38:49 PM »
I am not scared at all of him leaving. Think he will be a good 4 year player for us. Also think he will make his living playing basketball instead of baseball.
Very scared of Harrison leaving though. He leaves we are in big  trouble. Omar cook was considered a bust. I am sure he made money in the last 10 years then I did.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 04:42:21 PM »
I am not scared at all of him leaving. Think he will be a good 4 year player for us. Also think he will make his living playing basketball instead of baseball.
Very scared of Harrison leaving though. He leaves we are in big  trouble. Omar cook was considered a bust. I am sure he made money in the last 10 years then I did.

Cook was a bust. He left early to go the NBA. Not to bounce around Europe. Yes, he made money, but the term "bust" in this case is attached to the team that drafted him and got nothing out of him. That is why it fits perfectly.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:47:54 PM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 05:02:37 PM »
Harrison is the best player I have seen in a st. Johns uniform. He could make a million plus next year in Greece or Spain. Without him we would be scary bad. If he stays 4 years we are all going to have some fun at the garden

jr49

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
If Doms handle and shot continue to improve he can play the 2 as that should be his goal. Harrison goes and thats where we need depth, and it would open it up for Amir up front. Coach gotta get us a big time point guard. I know Harrison been hurt, but for awhile now it looks like he not full time interested in playing college ball. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong because we hear he expressed desire to be moving on so thats what I figure he apt to do. 

Poison

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »
Harrison is the best player I have seen in a st. Johns uniform. He could make a million plus next year in Greece or Spain. Without him we would be scary bad. If he stays 4 years we are all going to have some fun at the garden

You've never seen Marcus Hatten?

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »

Marcus Hatten?  He never saw Dwight Hardy!

Moose

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »

For all the success we seem to find with JUCO 2 guards.  Wonder if we can snag another?
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »

IMO Hatten was a lot better than Dwight overall.  Loved Hardy, but Hatten was absolutely unstoppable at most times.  Harrison can be that way too at times, but his moodiness limits that.  Hatten was always smiling and always scoring.  I wish he were on this team we have today.  SJU fans will never really appreciate what Hatten could have been if he had 4 years at a D1 university.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »

IMO Hatten was a lot better than Dwight overall.  Loved Hardy, but Hatten was absolutely unstoppable at most times.  Harrison can be that way too at times, but his moodiness limits that.  Hatten was always smiling and always scoring.  I wish he were on this team we have today.  SJU fans will never really appreciate what Hatten could have been if he had 4 years at a D1 university.

We haven't had a 4 year star since Malik Sealy. 2 years of Hatten was generous. He was one of our players who didn't think he was far better than he was. He was actually leagues better than Hardy, and Hardy was better than Harrison.

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »

We haven't had a 4 year star since Malik Sealy. 2 years of Hatten was generous. He was one of our players who didn't think he was far better than he was. He was actually leagues better than Hardy, and Hardy was better than Harrison.

Hopefully we get to see Harrison as an upperclassmen. Otherwise the comparison are skewed.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »

Your comparing Hardy as a SR to DLO as a SO. w a swollen finger.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 12:22:05 AM »
Jones offensive game is more refined than amirs but no one brings the toughness that he does (sans dlo).

Absolutely disagree.  Garrett can drive the ball as well as anyone on the roster.  He also has a decent set shot out to three and nobody can do what he does under the offensive glass.  This kid needs to find his place, and I think he will.  He desperately needs 15-20 pounds to be more successful as our junkyard dog.  He and Sampson are the only two guys that hit he offensive glass EVER, and Sampson is usually floating on the perimeter or near the FT line. 

Our lack of rebounding and Sampson's outside shooting have forced Garrett to live under the glass. He deserves more looks and more minutes.  As the teams starts to move the ball beter, Garett will show us his worth.

Listen, I'm a big fan of Amir. What he does well is work the baseline better than anyone else we have. His jumper needs work but it isn't all that bad, when he has good rhythm he hits a good %. The bad thing is that he has never once with his right hand; made a shot, delivered a pass, or take three consecutive dribbles. He is our best rebounder and one of if not our best finisher but his offensive game is not refined.

Jones shoots a better jumper and has a softer touch than Amir. Both of them
arw decent passers ( thought Amir was better as a frosh) but I would give the edge to Christian.

I like them both. Both should be getting more minutes IMO.

I usually think you are on the money, but Jones hasn't displayed anything offensively.  Amir has a solid shot out to three and Jones hasn't even attempted a three.  Garrett plays with great pace and is a very solid passer.  Jones found one cutter from five feet away in the first game and everyone has annointed him a skilled passer.  Garrett is a beast on the boards and has very creative finishes to get his shot off against bigger defenders after he outbattles them for the rebounds.  I don't think I even have to mention Jones' lack of effort on the glass.

The trouble Amir has is that he is not as good as Sampson and he is forced to play under the glass because nobody else is willing to play that role.  Sampson is looking for jumpers.

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »
Jones offensive game is more refined than amirs but no one brings the toughness that he does (sans dlo).

Absolutely disagree.  Garrett can drive the ball as well as anyone on the roster.  He also has a decent set shot out to three and nobody can do what he does under the offensive glass.  This kid needs to find his place, and I think he will.  He desperately needs 15-20 pounds to be more successful as our junkyard dog.  He and Sampson are the only two guys that hit he offensive glass EVER, and Sampson is usually floating on the perimeter or near the FT line. 

Our lack of rebounding and Sampson's outside shooting have forced Garrett to live under the glass. He deserves more looks and more minutes.  As the teams starts to move the ball beter, Garett will show us his worth.

Listen, I'm a big fan of Amir. What he does well is work the baseline better than anyone else we have. His jumper needs work but it isn't all that bad, when he has good rhythm he hits a good %. The bad thing is that he has never once with his right hand; made a shot, delivered a pass, or take three consecutive dribbles. He is our best rebounder and one of if not our best finisher but his offensive game is not refined.

Jones shoots a better jumper and has a softer touch than Amir. Both of them
arw decent passers ( thought Amir was better as a frosh) but I would give the edge to Christian.

I like them both. Both should be getting more minutes IMO.

I usually think you are on the money, but Jones hasn't displayed anything offensively.  Amir has a solid shot out to three and Jones hasn't even attempted a three.  Garrett plays with great pace and is a very solid passer.  Jones found one cutter from five feet away in the first game and everyone has annointed him a skilled passer.  Garrett is a beast on the boards and has very creative finishes to get his shot off against bigger defenders after he outbattles them for the rebounds.  I don't think I even have to mention Jones' lack of effort on the glass.

The trouble Amir has is that he is not as good as Sampson and he is forced to play under the glass because nobody else is willing to play that role.  Sampson is looking for jumpers.

I don't disagree with you on Amir. I just think your selling jones short.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.