Amir Garrett Next Year

• 55 replies

Marillac

Re: Amir Garrett Next Year
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 01:35:33 PM »
Jones offensive game is more refined than amirs but no one brings the toughness that he does (sans dlo).

Absolutely disagree.  Garrett can drive the ball as well as anyone on the roster.  He also has a decent set shot out to three and nobody can do what he does under the offensive glass.  This kid needs to find his place, and I think he will.  He desperately needs 15-20 pounds to be more successful as our junkyard dog.  He and Sampson are the only two guys that hit he offensive glass EVER, and Sampson is usually floating on the perimeter or near the FT line. 

Our lack of rebounding and Sampson's outside shooting have forced Garrett to live under the glass. He deserves more looks and more minutes.  As the teams starts to move the ball beter, Garett will show us his worth.

Listen, I'm a big fan of Amir. What he does well is work the baseline better than anyone else we have. His jumper needs work but it isn't all that bad, when he has good rhythm he hits a good %. The bad thing is that he has never once with his right hand; made a shot, delivered a pass, or take three consecutive dribbles. He is our best rebounder and one of if not our best finisher but his offensive game is not refined.

Jones shoots a better jumper and has a softer touch than Amir. Both of them
arw decent passers ( thought Amir was better as a frosh) but I would give the edge to Christian.

I like them both. Both should be getting more minutes IMO.

I usually think you are on the money, but Jones hasn't displayed anything offensively.  Amir has a solid shot out to three and Jones hasn't even attempted a three.  Garrett plays with great pace and is a very solid passer.  Jones found one cutter from five feet away in the first game and everyone has annointed him a skilled passer.  Garrett is a beast on the boards and has very creative finishes to get his shot off against bigger defenders after he outbattles them for the rebounds.  I don't think I even have to mention Jones' lack of effort on the glass.

The trouble Amir has is that he is not as good as Sampson and he is forced to play under the glass because nobody else is willing to play that role.  Sampson is looking for jumpers.

I don't disagree with you on Amir. I just think your selling jones short.

I would love to be wrong, but I really just don't think this kid offers that much if he doesn't become a complete stud on the boards.  Garrett has the heart of a lion down low and I think he is far more skilled. 

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 03:21:05 PM »
Jones is much mo skilled than Amir on the offensive end. Not even close, really.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:23:00 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »
Jones is much mo skilled than Amir on the offensive end. Not even close, really.

I mean this with the most respect in the world.
If he only had half the drive of Amir.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 03:24:13 PM »

Amir is a warrior no doubt. Hella respct.

But CJ has been sold short on these boards. Brother is still a frosh, still learnin evry aspect.

Bottom line is this: I luv his potential.

He has a better J. A better handle. Is just as explosive if not more. And he has sometin no one else has on the team: he can score wit his back to the basket.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

jr49

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 03:26:07 PM »
Harrison is the best player I have seen in a st. Johns uniform. He could make a million plus next year in Greece or Spain. Without him we would be scary bad. If he stays 4 years we are all going to have some fun at the garden

You've never seen Marcus Hatten?
Harrison to excel has gotta wanna be here. If he thinks he's to good for the college game and got a foot out the door not doing anybody a favor by hanging around. Has anyone heard him talk about him and his mates getting to a final 4 down the road? Nothing wrong with wanting to go pro, but can't have your head in 2 places and that might account for some of his play since the start of the BE season. If the fall off is because he's been hurt then I hope he gets well and hangs around. Regarding some combo guards that have entered the conversation, Showtime might have done ok at the point for this team. He played with Ingram and then Gino. Guys around now a step up from the guys he tried to carry. 

Marcus Hatten?  He never saw Dwight Hardy!

IMO Hatten was a lot better than Dwight overall.  Loved Hardy, but Hatten was absolutely unstoppable at most times.  Harrison can be that way too at times, but his moodiness limits that.  Hatten was always smiling and always scoring.  I wish he were on this team we have today.  SJU fans will never really appreciate what Hatten could have been if he had 4 years at a D1 university.

We haven't had a 4 year star since Malik Sealy. 2 years of Hatten was generous. He was one of our players who didn't think he was far better than he was. He was actually leagues better than Hardy, and Hardy was better than Harrison.

Hopefully we get to see Harrison as an upperclassmen. Otherwise the comparison are skewed.

Moose

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »

But CJ has been sold short on these boards. Brother is still a frosh, still learnin evry aspect.

He has a better J. A better handle. Is just as explosive if not more. And he has sometin no one else has on the team: he can score wit his back to the basket.

I know all his personal problems this year as well and they cannot be ignored.  That stuff effects everyone in so many different ways. 

He looks like the player.  But he gets out there and its like the game is too fast or his too "Robby Cano" in terms of floating out there.

Hope he gets more meaningful minutes down the stretch as I think we are doing something good with TX players.

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »

This.

Moose

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 03:27:45 PM »
Maybe I'm imagining it but a few people I sit with have noticed it too.  Anyone notice Amir doesnt seem to be exploding and jumping as high as last year?

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »
Maybe I'm imagining it but a few people I sit with have noticed it too.  Anyone notice Amir doesnt seem to be exploding and jumping as high as last year?

I've said it a couple times this year. Doesn't look like the explosive player he looked like in high school. Still a good athlete but the added muscle and perhaps baseball training as opposed to working out on the hardwood have stifled his explosiveness.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »

+2

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 05:50:47 PM »
Choz Knoz! :)

MCNPA

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »

I agree with you Choz.  I've always felt the same way.  Bring him along slowly, which I is fine.  Kid is an amazing athlete and has smooth offense.  When he learns the pace he has to play at, I think he can be real good.  Hopefully he gets to that point and develops some killer instinct.

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »

I agree with you Choz.  I've always felt the same way.  Bring him along slowly, which I is fine.  Kid is an amazing athlete and has smooth offense.  When he learns the pace he has to play at, I think he can be real good.  Hopefully he gets to that point and develops some killer instinct.

Wish Tyrone Grant would work with him. Ty maximized his ability with smarts and tenacity. Crafty player like Billy Singleton.

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »

Good interior passer too.

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »

Absolutely..baby hook among his repertoire..he needs the light bulb to go on like it did for Dom

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 10:51:26 PM »
The jump that Dom has made this year makes me feel good about what we'll see from Jones, CO and Balamou next year.