2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies

sju89tr

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »
I am tired of the locals. 4 as early season tune ups enough for me.

Play Manhattan, Iona, LIU Brooklyn, and then alternate in a St Francis Wagner Fordham Hoftsra Stony Brook Monmouth NJIT FDU Etc 

We won't play Iona. It's because we are scared of them.

I personally don't see the value in it to be honest, they have a low RPI and if we win does little for us and if we lose it's a bad loss both locally and nationally.

They however are an NCAA team 2 years in a row and should be played 

Poison

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2013, 11:48:47 AM »

Play Manhattan, Iona, LIU Brooklyn, and then alternate in a St Francis Wagner Fordham Hoftsra Stony Brook Monmouth NJIT FDU Etc 

I personally don't see the value in it to be honest, they have a low RPI and if we win does little for us and if we lose it's a bad loss both locally and nationally.

Locals sell tickets. The if we win we get nothing, if we lose it's shameful argument applies to every bad team. Not just the small ones. We are ducking Iona, and we have been because we have the right to.

There aren't many small program who have beaten us that we aren't scared of. We stopped playing Iona after they waxed the Felipe Lopez/Zendon Hamilton squad 18 years ago. We stopped playing Niagara after they beat us at Carnesecca Arena during Norm's 4th season. It's our style. We take our ball and we go home.

sju89tr

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2013, 11:56:56 AM »

Locals sell tickets. The if we win we get nothing, if we lose it's shameful argument applies to every bad team. Not just the small ones. We are ducking Iona, and we have been because we have the right to.

There aren't many small program who have beaten us that we aren't scared of. We stopped playing Iona after they waxed the Felipe Lopez/Zendon Hamilton squad 18 years ago. We stopped playing Niagara after they beat us at Carnesecca Arena during Norm's 4th season. It's our style. We take our ball and we go home.

Niagara is not a local so who care's Same for St Bonaventure Maybe we can play Albany since they made tournament

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »

Maybe ST Johns will show some sack now that all 3, Machado, Glover and Momo are gone. Although Laury would dominate. Beating up on Marist and St Francis doesn't help anything

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
To add, I would be shocked if a home and home wasn;t scheduled with UCONN

You think we'd play them at the Garden or on campus? I'm assuming Garden, but would love to see it on campus.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2013, 12:08:03 PM »

Maybe ST Johns will show some sack now that all 3, Machado, Glover and Momo are gone. Although Laury would dominate. Beating up on Marist and St Francis doesn't help anything

Don't count on it. The only way they'd entertain it is if Iona loses their coach, and SJ's, by some miracle returns everyone, Harrison included and adds Sanchez. But we all know that St.John's will somehow, some way F that up royally, because we are.

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »
Iona would trounce us this year?  Come on. They might be the only team right now we could score 80 against. Freaking Rutgers did.  Nothing to be gained playing them. Low RPI. If you lose, you get killed. If you win, you were supposed to. Would rather play good mid majors from other conferences, a la Detroit or Florida Gulf Coast.

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
If Iona went out and scheduled better, boosting their RPI, then that is a different situation.

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »
If Iona went out and scheduled better, boosting their RPI, then that is a different situation.

They try. No one will play them, including St Johns. Think Georgia,Maryland or Wake Forrest will ever schedule Iona again?

Poison

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »
Iona would trounce us this year?  Come on. They might be the only team right now we could score 80 against. Freaking Rutgers did.  Nothing to be gained playing them. Low RPI. If you lose, you get killed. If you win, you were supposed to. Would rather play good mid majors from other conferences, a la Detroit or Florida Gulf Coast.

IMO, Detroit, FGCU, and Iona. Same thing year to year, but Iona has bragging rights. We lost Detroit last year, but to many, it didn't matter bec they are a midwest mid major. 

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
I hear you Baldi. But why not play other really good mid majors, or road games against power conference schools, or enter some preseason tourneys.

Poison

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »
I hear you Baldi. But why not play other really good mid majors, or road games against power conference schools, or enter some preseason tourneys.

You can play other mid majors and Iona, Hofstra and Manhattan. There is no sense in playing Fordham every year. THAT is a waste of time.

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »
If I remember correctly they said that San Francisco will be coming to Carnesseca next season.

Moose

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »
If I remember correctly they said that San Francisco will be coming to Carnesseca next season.

Yes
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »
I want either high profile tough games, or absolute cupcakes. 
No UNCA, no Iona, no st Bonnie.     Enough of these mid majors.

Syracuse or Columbia.   No in between games. 

Moose

« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »

Why is that?

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
Risk/reward.  No good comes from beating a mid- major, but a loss to them is costly.  I don't necessarily agree but I understand. 

I prefer a competitive schedule.  A couple of cupcakes at the front end of your schedule to get your team in sync but then I like playing good teams.  I hate teams like Cinci that load up on easy wins just to try to build a record for the NCAA committee.

Moose

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
Risk/reward.  No good comes from beating a mid- major, but a loss to them is costly.  I don't necessarily agree but I understand. 

I prefer a competitive schedule.  A couple of cupcakes at the front end of your schedule to get your team in sync but then I like playing good teams.  I hate teams like Cinci that load up on easy wins just to try to build a record for the NCAA committee.

Your SOS and RPI are affected.  Worse the team lower the numbers.

Poison

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2013, 02:59:25 PM »

There is no risk or reward in playing Syracuse. They always kill us. And the logic of a true cup cake is flawed. We have lost to those too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:00:11 PM by Poison »

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »

There is no risk or reward in playing Syracuse. They always kill us.

We are their mid-major.