Greetings from the UVa side

• 86 replies
Greetings from the UVa side
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
Wahoo fan checking in...looking forward to the 2nd round game.

Obviously we had hoped to be in the NCAA's...especially after the Duke win, but a weak finish and some bad early season OOC losses hurt us and cost us a bid.  We're a relatively young team, but our 2 best players are JR's and we have a SR starter at PG.

PG - Jontel Evans is our SR starter.  Good assist man, and doesn't turn it over much, but no outside game whatsoever.  Whatever points he does score are on penetration, and one of the better on-the-ball defenders in the ACC.  His back-up is FR Teven Jones who has played well at times, and is a much better scorer/shooter than Jontel.  Not nearly as good defensively though, which will cost you minutes when you play for Tony Bennett.

SG - Joe Harris is our All-ACC, all around best player.  Good size (6'6), strong, can get into the lane, and deadly on the perimeter.  He lit up Duke for 36, but has struggled a bit down the stretch.  His backup is FR Taylor Barnette.  Don't give him on inch on the perimeter because he's an excellent 3 point shooter, but much like Jones, limited defense keeps him from getting more minutes.

C - Akil Mitchell is a converted wing, but excellent rebounder, can finish in the lane, and made 3rd team All-ACC.  His improvement between his SO & JR seasons have been off-the-charts.  Didn't play great against Norfolk State despite decent numbers, and is a double-double machine.  FR Mike Tobey comes off the bench, but is a star in the making with an NBA future.  He's only 18 and needs to bulk up, but very advanced offensive game, can hit on the perimeter from 18 feet, and finish with either hand near the basket.  More strength is the only thing keeping him from starting.

SF - Paul Jesperson starts, and is a good shooter, but doesn't score much.  Gets the majority of his PT because of defense.  FR Evan Nolte comes off the bench, and is also a good shooter, but lately has had a tendency to pick up quick/silly fouls.  Neither are super athletic, but Nolte has a much higher ceiling.

PF - We actually go with a small line-up...Justin Anderson isn't a true 4.  By far our best athlete, and was our best player against Norfolk State.  High energy guy who is my personal favorite player...he fills up the stat sheet in a variety of ways.  Not a great perimeter shooter, but good enough to keep the defense honest.  Coming off the bench is SO Darion Atkins...he started and played well the first half of the year, but has struggled with shin injuries the second half of the season.  A great athlete, but only playing spot minutes right now while healing.

That's our personnel overview.  We play great defense (top 5 nationally) but struggle at times on offense.  When the outside shots are dropping, Evans is getting into the lane, and Mitchell/Tobey finishing near the basket, we're very very tough.  When those things don't happen our offense struggles, and the game gets pretty ugly.  We're very tough at home, and most of the games haven't been close, but honestly we're not playing our best basketball right now.

Haven't followed St. John's super close this year...how do you think we'll match up?

Poison

Re: Greetings from the UVa side
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »
We are really athletic, but we have poor basketball instincts. We are great shot blockers, but if you'd like to shoot threes all game have at it. It will feel like a shoot around.

I think you'll win 75-62.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:46:22 PM by Poison »

crgreen

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
Those looking for "connections" - player Tony Bennett was as starter for Head Coach Gene Keady on the 1991 US National Team.

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
SJU is one of the most athletic teams you will play.  We are also a bit raw and don't shoot we'll from the outside.  SJU is the #1 shotblocking team in the nation.  Earning jumpshots inside can be difficult against us at times.  We have athletic wings that can guard lots of player's.  SJU suspended our best offensive player and a 19ppg scorer D'Angelo Harrison for the rest of the season for "attitude" issues, so it takes a very, very potent player out of the mix in this game. 

We will make it ugly and force UVA outside if we can.  I don't know exactly what to expect.  UVA was a solid team from what I have seen, but I don't think much of the ACC schedule, especially this season so I'm not sure how it will go.  When we are pplaying good man defense, we are very tough.  UVA with the edge I think due to location and the fact that UVA should have been an NCAA team and SJU is without our SG who lead the Big East in scoring.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »
 We are the youngest team in the country.. ;)

We start all Sophs and Freshman.

DFF6

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 06:34:20 PM »
You need to shut down Lipscomb to win.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 06:37:08 PM »

We're undefeated in games Lipscomb starts.

crgreen

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »

David Lipscomb = Sean Farnham :)

Moose

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »

David Lipscomb = Sean Farnham :)

Heard your boy Farnham last night announcing BYU game.  Said he has never been to MSG.  That's crazy.  Tell him to call Lavs up.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
Lipscomb jerseys are now available in the bookstore.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »
best part of David Lipscomb's roster page.

"averaged 8.6 points per game with 5.1 assists in his final high school season"

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/lipscomb_david00.html

crgreen

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
best part of David Lipscomb's roster page.

"averaged 8.6 points per game with 5.1 assists in his final high school season"

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/lipscomb_david00.html

Wow!  Averaged more assists than Jamal Branch as a high school senior.     Pretty sure that was your point! :)

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 09:02:53 PM »
UVA is going to slow this game up and it's going to be ugly. If it stays in the 50's then they'll win. Also Joe Harris is the real deal from the perimeter and is probably the best shooter Red Storm will match up with this season.

If St. John's can win battle of the boards to get out and run they'll have a chance.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
UVA is going to slow this game up and it's going to be ugly. If it stays in the 50's then they'll win. Also Joe Harris is the real deal from the perimeter and is probably the best shooter Red Storm will match up with this season.

If St. John's can win battle of the boards to get out and run they'll have a chance.

If they try to slow us down, I think they'll lose.  Teams that try that against us usually lose.  Teams that beat us are the ones that push offensive tempo and score big points.  If it they try to keep it in the 50's I think we will be where we want.  Just an opinion.  Their defense is good though.  Key will be to draw plenty of fouls if we can. 

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »
if we keep the game in the 40's no way we lose

Moose

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
If we score more points, no way we lose
Remember who broke the Slice news

jr49

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 09:51:43 PM »
Gatta get it into paint for that. Some day CO gonna score some inside for us, and next game would be nice. We just don't want him the guy getting fouled. Him, JaKarr and Dom can take turns in the paint. JaKarr can really help kicking out quick when the double comes. If we can fool around some in the paint, I really think we can get some put backs and one. Oh well, sounds good.

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 09:52:49 PM »

Haven't followed St. John's super close this year...how do you think we'll match up?

Welcome.

Dont much appreciate yo name up there since this is a family board, but whateva.

Heres the thing. We are St. John's. We aint no Monticello. We aint founded by some johnny-come-lately embodiment of the French Enlightenment complete wit his peeps in the field and by peeps I mean slaves.

We straight up gonna smoke all y'all folks sayin "Hey I'm in a school just as good as the Ivy League!" Except you aint.  You aint, son.

When you say Ralph Sampson, I say: C'mon now.

When you say Bryant Stith, I say: C'mon now!

And when you say Syl, I say: C'MON NOW!!

Peace out.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:59:01 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »

Welcome.

Dont much appreciate yo name up there since this is a family board, but whateva.

Heres the thing. We are St. John's. We aint no Monticello. We aint founded by some johnny-come-lately embodiment of the French Enlightenment complete wit his peeps in the field and by peeps I mean slaves.

We straight up gonna smoke all y'all folks sayin "Hey I'm in a school just as good as the Ivy League!" Except you aint.  You aint, son.

When you say Ralph Sampson, I say: C'mon now.

When you say Bryant Stith, I say: C'mon now!

And when you say Syl, I say: C'MON NOW!!

Peace out.

Pwned...

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
Knock, knock.

Who there?

Junior Burrough

Junior Burrough who?

Exactly.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:17:30 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.