Greetings from the UVa side

• 86 replies
Re: Greetings from the UVa side
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:03 AM »
Rocky, you said "if we can force turnovers"...one of the few things we are clearly good at this year is taking care of the ball. We can't shoot, but we can score in the paint if given some space, we can run in transition, we don't turn it over much, and we defend well generally.

I really, really, really hope our well overdue red hot shooting day comes against UVA. I can't remember the last time we shot 38% or better from behind the arc. Everyone knows I'm obsessed with 3PT stats and perhaps overly so, but we need points badly. 2's keep you in the game, 3's put the other team away.

We shot 43% from 3 against St Joe's....

For a minute there, I thought someone was having a "Sybil" moment.  Then I realized it is two different Redstormy's   (Redstormies?)

Poison

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »
Yo no disrespct to Majestic, but Scientific was better.

In other words, y'all got lost wit the wrong Mapp.

The terrorist's nephew was also pretty good.

Foad

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »
Have seen a few comments about SJU getting out in transition.  If you check our offensive rebounding numbers, they're near the bottom of the ACC.  Reason being, we send no one to crash the boards...we drop everyone back on defense to prevent transition baskets.  We're very difficult to run on because of this, which is why 19 times out of 20, we'll win the tempo game.  UNC in Chapel Hill has really been the only time this year someone dictated a faster pace on us.

We're vulnerable to the press, but in order to set it up, you have to execute on offense.  Can your big men pass out of the double team in the post?  You'll see alot of Justin Anderson double teaming with Akil when your big man gets the entry pass...if they can pass out of it, you can take advantage.  If they're shaky ball handlers, or passing's not a strength, we'll force them into turnovers.

If your staff thinks like you do SJ will win this game in a walk. For example, in your post you mention "big men," "entry passes," and "execute on offense." We dont really utilize those sorts of mundane strategies and if you guys prepare for them you will have fallen into Lavin's diabolical trap.

On offense we do two things. First, we run the weave. This is intended to make the opposing team fall asleep. Once we are able to induce a coma in the defense our shooting guards break free to launch off balance fall away jumpers that connect at a percentage upwards of 35 percent. Second, our point guard Phil Greene is immune to the effects of centrifical force. Being the superior tactician that he is Lavin plays to Greene's strength by having him dribble around in circles beyond the three point line, causing defenders to get severely dizzy. (This is an off shoot of Pete Newell's motion offense called Pin the Tail on the Donkey.) Once again the idea is to stupify the opposition to free our guards to make plays.

Being that our team is so young they are still learning the intricasies of the offense, such as which end of the donkey the tail is on and how tightly to tie the blindfold. Although our progress is being measured in baby steps we seem to have put it all together, defeating a gritty a10 team with the same sort of determination we showed against BE powerhouses DePaul and South Florida. The team lost its focus slightly while losing 8 out of its last 10, but dont let that fool you. That was D'Angelo Harrison's fault because he rolled his eyes one too many times. He is no longer with the team and we're better off for it, as is evident from the one game winning streak we are riding. Needless to say I fancy our chances Saturday morning. I only hope the game does not conflict with Tennessee Tuxedo, because I loves me some Mister Whoopee.

redslope

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2013, 10:18:44 AM »
Have seen a few comments about SJU getting out in transition.  If you check our offensive rebounding numbers, they're near the bottom of the ACC.  Reason being, we send no one to crash the boards...we drop everyone back on defense to prevent transition baskets.  We're very difficult to run on because of this, which is why 19 times out of 20, we'll win the tempo game.  UNC in Chapel Hill has really been the only time this year someone dictated a faster pace on us.

We're vulnerable to the press, but in order to set it up, you have to execute on offense.  Can your big men pass out of the double team in the post?  You'll see alot of Justin Anderson double teaming with Akil when your big man gets the entry pass...if they can pass out of it, you can take advantage.  If they're shaky ball handlers, or passing's not a strength, we'll force them into turnovers.

If your staff thinks like you do SJ will win this game in a walk. For example, in your post you mention "big men," "entry passes," and "execute on offense." We dont really utilize those sorts of mundane strategies and if you guys prepare for them you will have fallen into Lavin's diabolical trap.

On offense we do two things. First, we run the weave. This is intended to make the opposing team fall asleep. Once we are able to induce a coma in the defense our shooting guards break free to launch off balance fall away jumpers that connect at a percentage upwards of 35 percent. Second, our point guard Phil Greene is immune to the effects of centrifical force. Being the superior tactician that he is Lavin plays to Greene's strength by having him dribble around in circles beyond the three point line, causing defenders to get severely dizzy. (This is an off shoot of Pete Newell's motion offense called Pin the Tail on the Donkey.) Once again the idea is to stupify the opposition to free our guards to make plays.

Being that our team is so young they are still learning the intricasies of the offense, such as which end of the donkey the tail is on and how tightly to tie the blindfold. Although our progress is being measured in baby steps we seem to have put it all together, defeating a gritty a10 team with the same sort of determination we showed against BE powerhouses DePaul and South Florida. The team lost its focus slightly while losing 8 out of its last 10, but dont let that fool you. That was D'Angelo Harrison's fault because he rolled his eyes one too many times. He is no longer with the team and we're better off for it, as is evident from the one game winning streak we are riding. Needless to say I fancy our chances Saturday morning. I only hope the game does not conflict with Tennessee Tuxedo, because I loves me some Mister Whoopee.

A classic Foad; had me laughing.  this poor Yahoo is probably forwarding your intel to UVA coaching staff right now.

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »

Brilliant.  :2funny:

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »
You guys are terrific.  This site is a shut-in's best friend.

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »

This is pretty freaking funny  ;D

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2013, 01:47:13 PM »

You've met our resident sage/comedian.

You will also see that we are the most self-loathing fanbase in college basketball.

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »

You've met our resident sage/comedian.

You will also see that we are the most self-loathing fanbase in college basketball.

Which explains why we loathe one another, the team, the coach, former coaches, the university, the country, the world ....

Lose to us and we'll loathe you as well.

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
Which explains why we loathe one another, the team, the coach, former coaches, the university, the country, the world ....

Living in Florida (Rocky Mtn is an old handle from when I lived in Colorado) I've found New Yorkers become much less stressed when they move south.  It's harder to loathe much of anything when surrounded by beaches, palm trees, and 75 degree days in February...except of course the 80 year old New Yorkers going 30 in the passing lane on A1A  ;)

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »

Living in Florida (Rocky Mtn is an old handle from when I lived in Colorado) I've found New Yorkers become much less stressed when they move south.  It's harder to loathe much of anything when surrounded by beaches, palm trees, and 75 degree days in February...except of course the 80 year old New Yorkers going 30 in the passing lane on A1A  ;)

F that.  You're still surrounded by Floridians, and that's worse than everything you mentioned!  Now I moved to SoCal, got it all and a pretty literate bunch of neighbors as well.  ;)

ras

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »
When you live in SE FL, you are surrounded by transplanted NYers.

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »
Well within the "Hell's Waiting Room" part of the region you're certainly right about that.

jr49

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »

Glad ya didn't give away Phil playin his best ball yet. He's almost locked up the starting PG spot for next season.

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2013, 12:47:41 AM »
Happy hour for Choz?

« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2013, 08:21:44 AM »

Glad ya didn't give away Phil playin his best ball yet. He's almost locked up the starting PG spot for next season.

I'd hope Phil Greene would lock up the Phil Greene spot. As for starting, I don't know about that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:22:07 AM by 0404 »

Poison

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »

I'd hope Phil Greene would lock up the Phil Greene spot. As for starting, I don't know about that.

How could Greene possibly not start?

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
If Harrison and Jakarr come back, I'd start Branch over him.

ras

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »
If Harrison and Jakarr come back, I'd start Branch over him.
Most posters would. But considering Lavins love affair w Greene, I believe Lavin will start him over Branch. I also think Greene is going to be a good 4 yr player when all is said and done.. Not defending him but hes only a So. and playing injured.                         

Foad

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
How could Greene possibly not start?

Maybe we can pay someone to put sugar in his gas tank. Bah dum bum.

Of course he'll start, but hopefully not at PG.