NIT Virginia Game predictions

• 54 replies
Re: NIT Virginia Game predictions
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »
SJU is down 62-61 with 3.7 seconds to go.

Obekpa at the line for two shots.

First shot circles the inside of the rim and inexplicably pops out dropping off to the side.

Obekpa is sweating profusely and smiling nervously. He nods his head to Branch reassuring him he's ok.

The shot goes up and hits the back of the rim so hard that
it bounces 13 feet in the air.

Obekpa swoops in and thunderously slams the ball down into the basket in a windmill motion.

With 1.3 seconds left on the clock Virginia throws a pass the length of the court to a VA guard under the basket but Obekpa springs from out of nowhere and slams the ball into the stands as the VA guard stares at his empty hands.

The thirteen Johnny fans at the John Paul Jones Arena rush the court trampling the security guards.

SJU wins the game 63-62 but St. John's is disqualified from further participation in the NIT.

p.s. I know that you guys think that happy endings for St. John's are unrealistic.

Big Chris has made 11 of his last 16 free throws (69%) . No way he misses 2 in a row, can't believe you're jumping off your own bandwagon

jr49

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
Remember that Va. game in the N.I.T., played at CA, where they brought that mascot that bounced around the arena all game. Hey Va. fan do you still have that goofball mascot.

When was that?
Pete's good friend Bobby G turned up at game, and did a lot of running around. He no doubt loved being seen. That was our 3rd win in a row over those guys. Next up was Mike Andersons UAB team, also at the Carn. They could run some and that team did help Mike get Mizzu job. then it was Bobby and TT, and we finished it off vs. G.Town. They gave us 5 home games and took it away from us anyway. Pete lost his job, and the next year Craig Eichrick lost to our walk ons and they really hired the right coach after that. He brought that kid Wallace with him and instead of playing 4 years at Princeton, he had a great career at G.Town. We also beat Howland that year before the team met it's fate in Pitt. He was in his first year so he got to keep his job. We were 0-7 in BE play goin into UCLA gamebut that was with our full team. It was hard to lose to us and keep your job in those days. Norm was around a couple of years and it was suggested he bring in Pete, and he could have used the help. I think he might have looked at him as a threat and did not go for it. Pete later joined Rick. Bottom line, we goin for 4 in a row. Go Storm.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »
Remember that Va. game in the N.I.T., played at CA, where they brought that mascot that bounced around the arena all game. Hey Va. fan do you still have that goofball mascot.

When was that?
Pete's good friend Bobby G turned up at game, and did a lot of running around. He no doubt loved being seen. That was our 3rd win in a row over those guys. Next up was Mike Andersons UAB team, also at the Carn. They could run some and that team did help Mike get Mizzu job. then it was Bobby and TT, and we finished it off vs. G.Town. They gave us 5 home games and took it away from us anyway. Pete lost his job, and the next year Craig Eichrick lost to our walk ons and they really hired the right coach after that. He brought that kid Wallace with him and instead of playing 4 years at Princeton, he had a great career at G.Town. We also beat Howland that year before the team met it's fate in Pitt. He was in his first year so he got to keep his job. We were 0-7 in BE play goin into UCLA gamebut that was with our full team. It was hard to lose to us and keep your job in those days. Norm was around a couple of years and it was suggested he bring in Pete, and he could have used the help. I think he might have looked at him as a threat and did not go for it. Pete later joined Rick. Bottom line, we goin for 4 in a row. Go Storm.

??? Pete who?

jr49

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »
SJU is down 62-61 with 3.7 seconds to go.

Obekpa at the line for two shots.

First shot circles the inside of the rim and inexplicably pops out dropping off to the side.

Obekpa is sweating profusely and smiling nervously. He nods his head to Branch reassuring him he's ok.

The shot goes up and hits the back of the rim so hard that
it bounces 13 feet in the air.

Obekpa swoops in and thunderously slams the ball down into the basket in a windmill motion.

With 1.3 seconds left on the clock Virginia throws a pass the length of the court to a VA guard under the basket but Obekpa springs from out of nowhere and slams the ball into the stands as the VA guard stares at his empty hands.

The thirteen Johnny fans at the John Paul Jones Arena rush the court trampling the security guards.

SJU wins the game 63-62 but St. John's is disqualified from further participation in the NIT.

p.s. I know that you guys think that happy endings for St. John's are unrealistic.

Big Chris has made 11 of his last 16 free throws (69%) . No way he misses 2 in a row, can't believe you're jumping off your own bandwagon
Why do we have to beat them with a gimmick. Ginny not used to seeing the likes of us. How about we ground and pound?

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »

When was that?

??? Pete who?

Gillen I believe.

jr49

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »

When was that?

??? Pete who?
Guillen.

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »
He was talking about Ozzie?  I thought he was talking about Pete.  ;)

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
I was there! Didn't the mascots try to trip each other? That was when we had the horse....we should should combine the mascots and call him JohnnyRed horse Thunder Bird! He sounds Native American but it is not offensive and thus we link the old tradition with the new! And all alumni rejoice new and old!
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »
I was there! Didn't the mascots try to trip each other? That was when we had the horse....we should should combine the mascots and call him JohnnyRed horse Thunder Bird! He sounds Native American but it is not offensive and thus we link the old tradition with the new! And all alumni rejoice new and old!

Wasn't there a rassler named Johnny Redhorse Thunderbird in the NWA.  Used to tag team with Wahoo McDaniel.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:34:00 AM by simplyred »

LJSA

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
Wasn't there a rassler named Johnny Redhorse Thunderbird in the NWA.  Used to tag team with Wahoo McDaniel.

Was he actually Native American, or just an Italian guy dressed as an Indian like Chief Jay Strongbow?  ;D

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »
Chief Jay Strongbow wasn't a real Indian (Native American)?  Omg, my entire childhood is shaken.

Tiznow

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »
Virginia went 9-0 in ACC play at home.  They have not lost at home since early November.

Maybe they are due to blow one in front of their home crowd.

Moose

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 11:37:09 PM »
Virginia went 9-0 in ACC play at home.  They have not lost at home since early November.

Maybe they are due to blow one in front of their home crowd.

Go figure their only home loss was to Delaware.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Tiznow

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »
I saw Delaware get robbed in their tourney loss to JMU.  They must have had BE refs do the game.  Delaware was decent this year.

Johnnies have a shot if the second half shooting carries over.

paultzman

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 11:47:30 PM »
With 11am start, what are odds everyone makes breakfast on time? Give Hicks the job.

MCNPA

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 12:04:26 AM »
Will be a very tough game.  UVA does have a scoring offense ranked next to last in ACC.  It should be interesting since we have a tough time scoring regardless.  Draw fouls and grab boards.  Get em in transition and we have a shot. 

desco80

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
When was the last time we really got out and ran and won a game with our transition game?

Providence last season?   
We have good athletes, but I think we as fans overrate our transition game.
We'll win by playing good D and executing offensively.  Don't turn it over, get penetration when possible, and grab offensive rebounds.  Things like that.

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
When was the last time we really got out and ran and won a game with our transition game?

Providence last season?   
We'll win by playing good D and executing offensively.  Don't turn it over, get penetration when possible, and grab offensive rebounds.  Things like that.

Someone on tv cited some stats recently which show that we are near the top in number of possessions per game---indicating that we do push tempo more than most.  It probably seems like we never run because it is so frustrating when we get into the half-court offense.

desco80

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »

Providence last season?   

Someone on tv cited some stats recently which show that we are near the top in number of possessions per game---indicating that we do push tempo more than most.  It probably seems like we never run because it is so frustrating when we get into the half-court offense.

Really?  Ok.  I guess I stand corrected.
We Definately push the ball up the floor as quick as we can, but then it seems to stop and settle.
I guess that's just the perception of fans who watch every game though.   Maybe other teams see us differently. 

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 03:19:42 PM »

Providence last season?   

You didn't think we were running in the second half of the St. Joe's game? I sure thought we were.