Abdul Malik Abu - PF - Kimball Union Academy - Boston, MA - NC STATE

• 181 replies

paultzman

Re: Abdul Malik Abu - PF - Kimball Union Academy - Boston, MA
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »
Kid is such a winner. His team won Jam Fest final.

“@Josh_Stirn: Abdul-Malik Abu with the dunk and the foul to give Expressions Elite the 54-5- lead with 3.1 seconds left #SummerJamFest”

“@Josh_Stirn: Abdul-Malik Abu had the GW dunk and is now ready to finally get to eat and watch The Fresh Prince of Bel Air after the sun goes down.”
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:28:22 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »
17U–Expressions Elite (Mass.) vs. Brookwood Bounce (Can.)
Highly-touted prospect Abdul-Malik Abu (2014/Kimball Union Academy) got to Philadelphia just in time to get his Expressions Elite squad through the toughest rounds of the tournament, helping them come away with a 54-51 victory and the 17U title.

The 6-8 forward’s put-back slam dunk and subsequent free throw with under five seconds remaining provided the difference, and his 11 points were a team high as nine of his teammates also put the ball through the hoop.

“Guys stuck with the plan and continued to use our system that was in place four months ago, and we came away with a win,” Expressions Elite coach Tyron Boswell told CoBL.

Abu had previously been in Washington, D.C. playing in the Nike Global Challenge, and made his way up to King of Prussia in time for last night’s Sweet 16 game. As a practicing Muslim who’s currently observing Ramadan, by the time he played in the final he was on his third game in a row with no food or water.

“It’s tough for him, but mentally he’s a mentally tough kid and he’s able to go through it,” Boswell said. “He had prior arrangements with the Global Challenge, came and joined his team and helped us to get this win.”

“@jmverlin: The #SummerJamFest wrapped up today, with @TeamPhillyBball taking home the 16U title: http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/07/team-philly-16us-take-home-summer-jam-fest-title/

paultzman

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »
“@HoopDreamsmag: UCLA has offered 2014 Abdul Malik Abu Expressions Elite (MA) @MalikAbu_”

« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
Watched him yesterday. Posterized two kids and was knocking down 3's. Stud.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »
Watched him yesterday. Posterized two kids and was knocking down 3's. Stud.

Any idea at what kind of chance we have Dave?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2013, 08:53:53 PM »
“@HoopDreamsmag: Abdul Malik Abu Final 10:
NC State
Florida
Kansas State
Miami
Kentucky
Iowa State
UConn
Prov
UCLA
St Johns
@MalikAbu_”

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
The common schools for both Abu and Terrell are:

SJU, Providence, UCONN, UCLA, Florida, and Miami.

Different schools:

Abu: NC St, K-State, Kentucky and Iowa State

Terrell: Cincy, OSU (I assume that is Oklahoma St), URI and Xavier.

MCNPA

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »
The common schools for both Abu and Terrell are:

SJU, Providence, UCONN, UCLA, Florida, and Miami.

Different schools:

Abu: NC St, K-State, Kentucky and Iowa State

Terrell: Cincy, OSU (I assume that is Oklahoma St), URI and Xavier.
. We are playing with big boys, but both kids I've heard love Lavin and staff.  I really think we make a string case to land both of them considering that Terrell can jump in to D'lo's spot when he departs and Abu comes in as we lose Sanchez and likely Jakarr. 

LJSA

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »
I'm going with St. John's, Providence, Florida, Miami, and NC St. for Abu.

St. John's, Providence, Miami, Cincy, and Xavier for Terrell.

MCNPA

« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »

Looking at the lists and know how hard we've been pursuing both, I get a vibe we really have a good shot to land both.  They both want to play together and we are pushing hard for both.  I addition, Lavin has really excelled at bringing pairs of players in here that already have chemistry.  Lavin loves these "package deals" and in this case, both are awesome players and both have us in their top 10. 

I don't think the other common schools except for Florida can compete with Lavin.  Uconn has a solid shot being in New England but AAC is lackluster IMO.  Uconn could be a dark horse, but I really think the pair will like exposure of NYC in new Big East better.  Ucla has a new coach, Alford is overly structured, and is far for both.  Both New England kids, NYC is close but just far enough. I don't think Cooley will best Lavs for these kids either.  Good shot here, and the fact that we are listed with both on the same night they cut their list bodes well. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:49:53 AM by MCNPA »

RedVet

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2013, 01:01:56 AM »

Looking at the lists and know how hard we've been pursuing both, I get a vibe we really have a good shot to land both.  They both want to play together and we are pushing hard for both.  I addition, Lavin has really excelled at bringing pairs of players in here that already have chemistry.  Lavin loves these "package deals" and in this case, both are awesome players and both have us in their top 10. 

I don't think the other common schools except for Florida can compete with Lavin.  Uconn has a solid shot being in New England but AAC is lackluster IMO.  Uconn could be a dark horse, but I really think the pair will like exposure of NYC in new Big East better.  Ucla has a new coach, Alford is overly structured, and is far for both.  Both New England kids, NYC is close but just far enough. I don't think Cooley will best Lavs for these kids either.  Good shot here, and the fact that we are listed with both on the same night they cut their list bodes well. 

Don't underestimate Cooley.

MCNPA

« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2013, 01:24:27 AM »

Don't underestimate Cooley.

Cooley is a very solid recruiter, but he isn't Lavin IMHO.  He has landed some great recruits but not kids that we also recruited.  I love Brandon Austin btw.   Providence isn't NYC either.  If these kids for sure want to stay in New England, then they will choose Providence but it won't be because of Cooley.  I'm thrilled witht he job Cooley has done at Providence, but his sell is still a bit tougher and he doesn't have much of a coaching track record.  Maybe it's my homer nature, but I think we have an advantage here. 

paultzman

« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »
With Lavin, we always have a shot for kids who choose to visit. That said, Cooley has spent countless hours with both kids and also has a great chance. I am told he is very tight with their AAU program as well, from his many years in NE area. Imo, we have a better shot with Terrell than Abu and it is conceivable that they go in different directions. We'll see. At least we are in it.

paultzman

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »
“@AdamZagoria: Providence, St. John's and N.C. State back watching Abu and Terrell in AC”

paultzman

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
“@AdamZagoria: UCLA, which recently offered Abdul Malik Abu, is expected to watch him Saturday in NYC. Providence, NC State & #stjbb here now watching inAC”

paultzman

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »
This was my first time ever getting a chance to see Abu play, and what a pleasure it was to watch this gifted, physical specimen with a powerful build and high motor. He is a 6-8, super-athletic forward that excels in transition and plays well above the rim. At the same time, he is also a banger who thrives by throwing his body around on the inside, crashing the glass, and doing the dirty work. His best attribute may be his ability to grab a rebound, put it on the floor and start the transition break.

Abu has also proven that he is a natural-born leader and winner, by taking his team to another championship game this past week at Live In A.C. He has almost every school in the country trying to get him to their campus in the fall and whoever gets him will have a heck of player coming in to play for them.

“@jmverlin: Here's the report from @COACHSIMON200 on his standout performers from Live in AC: http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/07/live-in-a-c-top-players/

Chilleb

« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »
Lavin court side for the game I'm here taking it in , Abu is a beast , NYC jay hawks vs expressions

paultzman

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »
Lavin court side for the game I'm here taking it in , Abu is a beast , NYC jay hawks vs expressions

Whisper Delarosa concerns in Lav's ear Chilleb. Kidding! Great hearing from you!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:57:08 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2013, 11:15:02 PM »
The Basketball Diary ‏@TheBBallDiary

Outside of St Johns Steve Lavin only Providence associate Andre La Fleur. Didn't see more major coaches for Expressions game.