Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies
Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2013, 12:42:40 PM »
Look, I like the lunch lady cause she give me some extra bammy evry day.
Dont mean Im gon marrying her.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

ras

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »
According to MJ Dinkens on Redmen.com he says the staff offered  and Lavin feels he is a diamond in the rough and already lost 30 pounds. He also said DLO will be back.

SJUFAN

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
Have to trust the staffs judgement on this. This is a kid that would sit on the bench and develop for a couple of years and contribute as a upper classmen. With the type of talent Lavin is bringing in, looks like we may have a 1-2 year player in every class. Need those glue guys, that's why I hope Felix and C. Jones stick around. Even if it doesn't pan out I think we are in position to take a flyer on a kid. We are not winning or losing any games because of the players at the end of the bench.

paultzman

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2013, 03:39:59 PM »
Have to trust the staffs judgement on this. This is a kid that would sit on the bench and develop for a couple of years and contribute as a upper classmen. With the type of talent Lavin is bringing in, looks like we may have a 1-2 year player in every class. Need those glue guys, that's why I hope Felix and C. Jones stick around. Even if it doesn't pan out I think we are in position to take a flyer on a kid. We are not winning or losing any games because of the players at the end of the bench.

Could begrudgingly live with a gamble, provided Lavs lands two other quality bigs for immediate help.

Moose

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »

Could begrudgingly live with a gamble, provided Lavs lands two other quality bigs for immediate help.

Exactly.  By all indications were looking at 3 most likely 4 man class in 14 and another 4 man class in 15.  Two of the 4 are likely going to need to be bigs in 14.  If you add a project as one of those two we are flirting with a thin frontcourt.  Sound familiar?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »

Exactly.  By all indications were looking at 3 most likely 4 man class in 14 and another 4 man class in 15.  Two of the 4 are likely going to need to be bigs in 14.  If you add a project as one of those two we are flirting with a thin frontcourt.  Sound familiar?

Quite.

SJUFAN

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »

Don't think the staff is looking at him as a project, but someone who will garner minimal minutes with a possible high ceiling if things pan out. If we land another quality big in 14' that will leave us with a four man rotation at the 5/4 spot (Obekpa and CJ). That's IF JS leaves. May not be ideal, but doable. Unfortunately, it may also mean that the staff may not feel good about their chances landing a quality big in 14'. 

MCNPA

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
Can see this IS-8 game here.  Oddly enough, in this game you can see that he actually does have good hands and move well in space.  He has a lot of work to do and a lot of weight to lose, but at a kid his size isn't totally unathletic.  Josh Smith killed us and couldn't run much better than this kid.  If the staff is taking a chance on a kid, at least it is a huge kid with good hands.  He needs to drop quite s bit of weight though.  He has the right idea where to be on th court though, if that is a mild compliment.  I also thought Hibbert and Thabeet looked like total turds as high schoolers and freshmen in college.  Who knows?

1 | Mount Vernon High School Vs Christ The King High School | 2012 Nike IS8 Fall Classic
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:49:48 PM by MCNPA »

Chilleb

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
Can see this IS-8 game here.  Oddly enough, in this game you can see that he actually does have good hands and move well in space.  He has a lot of work to do and a lot of weight to lose, but at a kid his size isn't totally unathletic.  Josh Smith killed us and couldn't run much better than this kid.  If the staff is taking a chance on a kid, at least it is a huge kid with good hands.  He needs to drop quite s bit of weight though.  He has the right idea where to be on th court though, if that is a mild compliment.  I also thought Hibbert and Thabeet looked like total turds as high schoolers and freshmen in college.  Who knows?

1 | Mount Vernon High School Vs Christ The King High School | 2012 Nike IS8 Fall Classic
Adonis isn't 7 feet though

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »
Josh Smith was a McD AA and far superior to Adonis. With all due respect that video posted shows little, especially against a Mount Vernon team with no one over six three. Not being argumentative and I realize staff knows more than me. That said, I am no further convinced he has much upside. Been wrong before!

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »
Josh Smith was a McD AA and far superior to Adonis. With all due respect that video posted shows little, especially against a Mount Vernon team with no one over six three. Not being argumentative and I realize staff knows more than me. That said, I am no further convinced he has much upside. Been wrong before!

Yeah, I'm trying to find an angle as to why we offered.  He has good hands. Again, that's why the professionals handle this stuff.  They certainly have a better idea than I.  I think we have a good shot at plenty others in the class as well. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »

Yeah, I'm trying to find an angle as to why we offered.  He has good hands. Again, that's why the professionals handle this stuff.  They certainly have a better idea than I.  I think we have a good shot at plenty others in the class as well.

It is odd. It could be a favor to someone just to offer him so that other programs get involved. That is not out of the realm of possibilities.

crgreen

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2013, 03:33:44 AM »

It is odd. It could be a favor to someone just to offer him so that other programs get involved. That is not out of the realm of possibilities.

That would make sense, IF he didn't already HAVE offers from Stanford, Maryland, Georgetown, Missouri, Notre Dame, Florida State, Providence, SMU, Xavier,  VCU,  Arkansas.....We're LATE to the "Adonis offer party" - not early. 

Perhaps it's a Shaka Smart, Larry Brown, John Thompson III, Mark Turgeon, Frank Haith, Mike Brey, Leonard Hamilton, Ed Cooley, Johnny Dawkins  trick to get US interested? :)

Moose

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2013, 04:24:56 AM »

That would make sense, IF he didn't already HAVE offers from Stanford, Maryland, Georgetown, Missouri, Notre Dame, Florida State, Providence, SMU, Xavier,  VCU,  Arkansas.....We're LATE to the "Adonis offer party" - not early. 

Perhaps it's a Shaka Smart, Larry Brown, John Thompson III, Mark Turgeon, Frank Haith, Mike Brey, Leonard Hamilton, Ed Cooley, Johnny Dawkins  trick to get US interested? :)

Do you believe everything you read?
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2013, 06:09:27 AM »

Do you believe everything you read?

Not sure what you mean, Moose.   At least three sites have reported the VCU, SMU, Maryland, & Standord offers.   At least 2 have reported Georgetown, Notre Dame, Providence, Arkansas, Missouri, and Florida Sate offers. 

For what it's worth, I never refer to a "kid having an offer" unless I've confirmed the offer from at least 2 reputable (okay, this is college hoops recruiting - let's just say what PASSES for reputable) sources....And, please, I hope no one in the Jungle or at Redmen takes offense - a guy posting on a message board doesn't count as a reputable source - unless he cites HIS sources...

What are you referring to?

mkras99

« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2013, 08:17:55 AM »
Who's to say that the "offer" isn't contingent on him losing 30 lbs, prepping a year, etc.

Foad

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »
Who's to say that the "offer" isn't contingent on him losing 30 lbs, prepping a year, etc.

I heard the quote offer unquote is contingent upon him learning to spin straw into gold. Who's to say it isn't. Plus he has to bring the newlywed Keadys breakfast in bed twice a month, eggs, hash browns, canadian bacon, rye toast lightly buttered and cranberry juice. Who's to say he doesn't.

Can't believe the million dollar staff has offered a 6'11" player three guys on the internet have dismissed after watching a few utube clips. Offered in quotes obviously, I don't believe everything I read on the internet. In fact, here's a link to an amazing internet article about why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet:

http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh

SJUFAN

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »

I believe site's often confuse "interest" with "offer". I mean if there were truly hard offers on the table from the programs you listed why hasn't he signed yet? Is he holding out for Kentucky? We are not even talking about a top 100 prospect here and those are some good programs who supposedly "offered".

crgreen

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »

I believe site's often confuse "interest" with "offer". I mean if there were truly hard offers on the table from the programs you listed why hasn't he signed yet? Is he holding out for Kentucky? We are not even talking about a top 100 prospect here and those are some good programs who supposedly "offered".

Well (again), per multiple sites, his early offers (last fall) were from the likes of Drexel, SMU, Hofstra...I would assume back then, he was holding out for better offers.   Those started coming last fall, when reportedly Providence and G'town offered.  I don't know, I'm guessing G'town backed off when Josh Smith became available and transferred in AFTER the offer was made.   The reported offers from Missouri, Maryland, VCU, Arkansas, Stanford  & Xavier (5/10/13), Florida State (5/16/13), Notre Dame (5/27/13) were all within the last 8 weeks.  Why not commit?  Maybe he is holding out for a target school that HASN'T as yet offered (doesn't have be be fricken Kentucky - maybe Iona is his dream!).   The reported St Johns offer THIS week would be an indication other schools are getting involved.    But given the number of schools reportedly offering in the last 8 weeks, and the time of year, AAU schedules, etc - I doubt there's been time for UNofficial visits, let alone officials.   Doubt seriously you make your decision and announcement before those occur.

I don't know why this seems suprising to anyone - it happens this time of year EVERY season.  Schools are seeing target bigs signing elsewhere, seeing kids in the program transfer - and now you're facing going into  coming seasons with no one over 6'8 and 210 lbs on your roster.   

Please note, I'm not remotely discussing whether the kid is good or bad.   This discussion is simply who's been reported (by  multiple sources) to have offered him (whatever their reasons might be).  He11s bells, we almost ended up with Remi Berry in at a similar time of year, and we DID get Christian Jones....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:47:27 PM by crgreen »

Foad

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
Please note, I'm not remotely discussing whether the kid is good or bad.   This discussion is simply who's been reported (by  multiple sources) to have offered him (whatever their reasons might be).  He11s bells, we almost ended up with Remi Berry in at a similar time of year, and we DID get Christian Jones....

Didn't Xtian Jones commit the summer after his senior year? Isn't Delarosa class of 2014? Meaning he just finished his junior year. He has a full year of high school to play. It's not surprising to me he hasn't committed, it'd be surprising to me if he had. How many juniors in high school have applied to college by the summer before their senior year and know where they're going? Answer: almost none.

Odd to me that the argument is that Rivals doesn't know what an "offer" is, notice the scare quotes. Rivals rates some kid no one's ever heard of as three stars rather than three and a half and it makes all the difference in the world, but somehow they don't know the difference between an "offer" and interest. Seems to me that the million dollar staff saw a player with enormous upside and figured that they could make him into a player. Three star wings are a dime a dozen. What's so hard to understand.