Sporting News College Basketball Preview
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:11:09 PM »
They have St.John's coming in seventh.

Re: Sporting News College Basketball Preview
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »
What was the order?

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »
I saw it yesterday and refused to buy it since they have us so low.  It think alot of publications are going to be eating crow by March.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »
1.MU 2. G town 3. Creighton 4. Nova 5. Xavier 6. Butler 7. SJU 8.Providence 9. Seton Hall. 10. DePaul. A lot of people will be eating crow.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
Rankings are one thing but I'd love to see the write-up.  Presumably it says something like they return everyone and add a Top 30 recruit.  Well then if thats the case why pick them 7th?  Common sense lacks sadly too much nowadays.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »
When did they make these predictions? Before Brad Stevens left and Jones went down? I would hope so other wise that's completely nuts.

Xavier and Butler too high. Move up St. John's and Providence and mover down Xavier and Butler and it's pretty reasonable.

St. John's at 5 seems plenty reasonable.

LJSA

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »
St. John's at 5 seems plenty reasonable.

I assume we are all smart enough to not take the bait. . .

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 08:16:19 PM »
We deserve some skepticism, since we have not set the world on fire recently. Win and we will be respected. It is that simple.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:14 PM »
We deserve some skepticism, since we have not set the world on fire recently. Win and we will be respected. It is that simple.

Yeah i'm with you I have no problem with that ranking. I dont agree with it but we haven't proven that we deserve to be higher

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »
"We deserve some skepticism, since we have not set the world on fire recently. Win and we will be respected. It is that simple."

Couldn't have said it better myself. SPOT ON.

jr49

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 11:58:14 AM »
Rankings are one thing but I'd love to see the write-up.  Presumably it says something like they return everyone and add a Top 30 recruit.  Well then if thats the case why pick them 7th?  Common sense lacks sadly too much nowadays.
We bring back every one, but who did we beat thats any good, and who did our guys lose to last year? Based on performance I would not ridicule our ranking. Me, I got high hopes. I think Pointer gonna be great, but don't expect guys who do the rankings to feel the same.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
We bring back every one, but who did we beat thats any good, and who did our guys lose to last year? Based on performance I would not ridicule our ranking. Me, I got high hopes. I think Pointer gonna be great, but don't expect guys who do the rankings to feel the same.

We beat Florida Gulf Coast :)

Seriously we beat a ranked Cincy team.  A ranked ND team.   A Uconn team and also lost in OT on the road to Nova.

We were 8-10 in the Big East.  We were actually 8-7 in the Big East before our leading scorer was stupidly suspended for the year.  If Dee wasn't suspended we beat Prov on the road and Marquette at home.  And also don't get our lunch handed to us by ND on the road where Dom snaps and punches someone.

As Hoya pointed out ranking Butler who lost Stevens, Rotnei and now Jones should NOT be ahead.  Neither should Xavier.  I have issues with some others as well.  This team should be ranked no less than 4th end of story.  Yes go out and prove it of course.  I'd just like some high expectations at this point. This is a junior and senior laden team and everyone returns plus you add a Top 30 point guard.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
The fact that Harrison came back, ego and all, says that  your "stupidly" comment is way off. Lavin did what he thought was best and it took guts.  He has a set of values that Harrison tested one too many times, that is the way it is suppose to work, if  you want to have a culture of accountability.

Harrison and the rest of the team now know Lavin's "red line".

Moose

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 02:13:36 PM »
The fact that Harrison came back, ego and all, says that  your "stupidly" comment is way off. Lavin did what he thought was best and it took guts.  He has a set of values that Harrison tested one too many times, that is the way it is suppose to work, if  you want to have a culture of accountability.

I stand by my stupid comment.  That should make those who think I'm a Lavin homer cringe. 

I don't doubt he deserved a suspension.  But he didn't deserve the remainder of the season.  It submarined the chance we had at dancing.  And we DID have a decent chance at that point.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
We can agree to disagree. I think Lavin was thinking long term when he suspended Harrison for the reminder of the season. He made a huge bet, but a responsible one.

Could we have made the dance, possibly, but that was not the issue. That's when you know your values are for real, when are willing to lose something, even big.

I do this for a  living and see this all the time, doesn't make me an expert, just with a different perspective.

I was shocked Lavin did it, that is why I respect him all the more.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »
We can agree to disagree. I think Lavin was thinking long term when he suspended Harrison for the reminder of the season. He made a huge bet, but a responsible one.

Could we have made the dance, possibly, but that was not the issue. That's when you know your values are for real, when are willing to lose something, even big.

I do this for a  living and see this all the time, doesn't make me an expert, just with a different perspective.

I was shocked Lavin did it, that is why I respect him all the more.

We all were shocked.

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »

I stand by my stupid comment.  That should make those who think I'm a Lavin homer cringe. 

I don't doubt he deserved a suspension.  But he didn't deserve the remainder of the season.  It submarined the chance we had at dancing.  And we DID have a decent chance at that point.
At least you admit it. (WINK  SMILEY FACE)

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 08:03:15 PM »

Homer! 

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 09:43:45 PM »

Can't believe they have UCONN in top 20..we beat them last year with a worse team

MCNPA

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »

Can't believe they have UCONN in top 20..we beat them last year with a worse team

Agree... And they have little frontcourt.