Sixth man

• 41 replies

Foad

Re: Sixth man
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »
Has anyone thought about using SirDom as the sixth man?  Wasn't Postel often used that way?   It could help keep him and others out of foul trouble and give the team a defensive lift when he comes in at the five minute or so mark.

Pointer is the ideal 6th man because he brings energy on both sides of the ball. (As opposed to eg Obekpa, who blocks shots and does nothing else well.) Pointer's suitability for the role almost guarantees that Lavin will not use him that way.

If Lavin still has a hard on for Harrison it wouldn't surprise me to see him as 6th. That would allow Lavin to make more speeches about teamwork and sacrifice while screwing with the kid's head and leaving Lavin with a built in excuse in case it all goes south. You know, like last year.

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 02:47:45 PM »
not sure why people are not talking about Max and what contribution he will make off the bench. Shoot shoot  shoot....

Hooper is the type of role player we haven't had.  He's a pure shooter.  He's going to be very annoying for a team like Syracuse and others who want to try to pack it in on defense and deny shots around the rim.  Some guys are shooters that need to be accounted for.  Hooper is a guy that can't be left alone or he'll make them all day.  Regardless, in certain situations he will help screw up defensive assignments.  He won't be our 6th man, but a role player we really needed.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »
not sure why people are not talking about Max and what contribution he will make off the bench. Shoot shoot  shoot....

Hooper is the type of role player we haven't had.  He's a pure shooter.  He's going to be very annoying for a team like Syracuse and others who want to try to pack it in on defense and deny shots around the rim.  Some guys are shooters that need to be accounted for.  Hooper is a guy that can't be left alone or he'll make them all day.  Regardless, in certain situations he will help screw up defensive assignments.  He won't be our 6th man, but a role player we really needed.

That is my hope, and expectation, but you're talking about him like you've seen him do it. Aren't
you getting a little ahead of yourself?

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »

He's shot over 50% from 3 at Mater Dei, Brewster and just hit 10-12 from 3 against an Italian pro team for us.  You can doubt his athleticism, or anything else, but the kid can shoot, especially if he has a little space, and the 2-3 zone gives shooters space. 

That is my hope, and expectation, but you're talking about him like you've seen him do it. Aren't

He's shot over 50% from 3 at Mater Dei, Brewster and just hit 10-12 from 3 against an Italian pro team for us.  You can doubt his athleticism, or anything else, but the kid can shoot, especially if he has a little space, and the 2-3 zone gives shooters space.  The twitter link of his shot counter on this page had him shoot 200-219 which is absurd.  Making that percentage of FT'a is absurd, nonetheless treys.   He isn't going to forget how to shoot, I'm pretty sure of that.  He's probably just a role player, but we need a guy like that.

NYCoffey

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 08:26:35 PM »
I think Phil is a very good  player that can provide a scoring spark when we're cold. For the last 2 years he's been playing out of position and not doing a bad job regardless. And a lot of the time he's been playing hurt. There have been plenty of times that we couldn't buy a bucket and he took over and kept us in the game. He has his faults but I think he's our first off the bench.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 08:47:59 PM »
I think Phil is a very good  player that can provide a scoring spark when we're cold. For the last 2 years he's been playing out of position and not doing a bad job regardless. And a lot of the time he's been playing hurt. There have been plenty of times that we couldn't buy a bucket and he took over and kept us in the game. He has his faults but I think he's our first off the bench.

What is his position?

Poison

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 08:54:32 PM »

He's shot over 50% from 3 at Mater Dei, Brewster and just hit 10-12 from 3 against an Italian pro team for us.  You can doubt his athleticism, or anything else, but the kid can shoot, especially if he has a little space, and the 2-3 zone gives shooters space. 

He's shot over 50% from 3 at Mater Dei, Brewster and just hit 10-12 from 3 against an Italian pro team for us.  You can doubt his athleticism, or anything else, but the kid can shoot, especially if he has a little space, and the 2-3 zone gives shooters space.  The twitter link of his shot counter on this page had him shoot 200-219 which is absurd.  Making that percentage of FT'a is absurd, nonetheless treys.   He isn't going to forget how to shoot, I'm pretty sure of that.  He's probably just a role player, but we need a guy like that.

I'm not doubting anything in particular except actual games played in front of my own eyes. I have made it clear that he's the kind of guy I'd expect to be a solid STJ player because of his dedication to practicing. I love his attitude. You need shooters, but you also need confident players. People, me included, have compared the talent level to the 98-99 team. That group had a swagger. A confidence. They weren't afraid of anyone.

NYCoffey

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »

What is his position?

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 11:24:40 PM »

I'm not doubting anything in particular except actual games played in front of my own eyes. I have made it clear that he's the kind of guy I'd expect to be a solid STJ player because of his dedication to practicing. I love his attitude. You need shooters, but you also need confident players. People, me included, have compared the talent level to the 98-99 team. That group had a swagger. A confidence. They weren't afraid of anyone.

I don't know if Hooper is afraid of anyone, but I don't think he's afraid to shoot.  Kid spends so much time in the gym and is nearly automatic from 3.  If he doesn't have a body on him and hands in is face, I'm guessing he will make a nice percentage.  He's got good height too.  I'm not expecting any more him than being a role-player/shooter.  If we get more, then great.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »

I don't know if Hooper is afraid of anyone, but I don't think he's afraid to shoot.  Kid spends so much time in the gym and is nearly automatic from 3.  If he doesn't have a body on him and hands in is face, I'm guessing he will make a nice percentage.  He's got good height too.  I'm not expecting any more him than being a role-player/shooter.  If we get more, then great.

The great 3 point shooter has eluded our program since Chris Mullin, and Avery Patterson, depending on who you ask. But this kid works hard. That's one thing we can see, and that's a helluva lot. Look at the way Georgetown and SU players come back to school after their freshman seasons. They show marked improvement. Otto Porter, CJ Fair, James Southerland. They work on weaknesses, and it pays off. Personally, I'm kinda worried that on Dec 15th, Dejuan Coleman and Jerami Grant will already be among the best players in the nation. Hope I'm wrong.

NYCoffey

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 10:55:55 AM »

What is his position?

SG

Poison

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »

What is his position?

SG

I would have loved if he was a shooting guard, but look at his shooting %. Do you think that % will go up once he's no longer asked to distribute as much? I'm not as hopeful. I think by now, if he was going to be a serviceable 3 point shooter, we'd see signs of it, but he was awful. Not an awful player, but an awful shooter. In order to be the 2, he'd need to be an incredible crafty scorer. Bootsy didn't have the highest 3 point #, but that scored from everywhere.

NYCoffey

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »
Just because your a shooting guard, it doesn't mean you have to be a lights out shooter. He can get into the lane when he is off the ball, and I really like that tear drop that goes in more often than not. If we needed to rely on his 3 point shooting as a 6 th man I would agree with you, but I like his slashing ability.

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
'and he isn't a very good defender.

When he comes to spell a guard as the 6th man, what is coming in to do other than not directly turn the ball over? '

I'm not at all surprised but why is it assumed that Jamal is ahead of the Triangle?  Down the stretch, Phil with an injured hip was way better than Branch with a tweaked knee. He clearly was/is? our best defensive guard despite what Michael says.

Perhaps a fixed hip, becoming an upperclassman and having had as much playing experience as is humanly possible for a junior will result in the next two years being his time to shine?

Fortunately for my favorite player and I,  Hollywood is a crackerjack coach and an extremely astute judge of basketball talent and he's not surprisingly in love with the rectangle and his game.  I'm confident he'll fill out the starting lineup sheet correctly and have Phil on the court appropriately( a whole lot).

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

When he comes to spell a guard as the 6th man, what is coming in to do other than not directly turn the ball over? '

I'm not at all surprised but why is it assumed that Jamal is ahead of the Triangle?  Down the stretch, Phil with an injured hip was way better than Branch with a tweaked knee. He clearly was/is? our best defensive guard despite what Michael says.

Perhaps a fixed hip, becoming an upperclassman and having had as much playing experience as is humanly possible for a junior will result in the next two years being his time to shine?

Fortunately for my favorite player and I,  Hollywood is a crackerjack coach and an extremely astute judge of basketball talent and he's not surprisingly in love with the rectangle and his game.  I'm confident he'll fill out the starting lineup sheet correctly and have Phil on the court appropriately( a whole lot).
carmineabbatiello/PGIV=bobre/Sean Evans

Poison

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »

Saying he was our best guard defensively is like saying he was our best 3 point shooter. We were pretty bad at both. And, I'm not convinced that he's better than anyone except maybe Marco defensively. I don't think he did a good job staying with his man. He's average defensively, and he can't shoot the ball.

But maturity could be what his game needs. Still it isn't a specific reason and it's pretty pie in the sky. Remember he didn't play this summer. Branch may have less BE game exp but he's got recent experience, and he put up several quality games.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:18:01 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »
Just because your a shooting guard, it doesn't mean you have to be a lights out shooter. He can get into the lane when he is off the ball, and I really like that tear drop that goes in more often than not. If we needed to rely on his 3 point shooting as a 6 th man I would agree with you, but I like his slashing ability.

I want to like his slashing ability, but i didn't see slashing ability. I did see Dom develop some.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »
I like Dom in the 6th man role. Jack of all trades who will bring lots of energy.

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »

Nah...I've never even once complained about his lack of playing time.

Moose

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »

Nah...I've never even once complained about his lack of playing time.

Zing.......
Remember who broke the Slice news