Melvin Swift, SF, Yates HS, Tx

• 53 replies

MCNPA

Melvin Swift, SF, Yates HS, Tx
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:37:54 PM »
Guess we are recruiting him as this seems to be his latest list?

http://instagram.com/p/fa2DDRCdrD/

"I Am Taking My Talent To? UConn or St.John or Baylor or SMU or UMass or Penn State or St.Joesph's or Oklahoma Wesleyan 🏀🏆🏀🏆"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:38:53 PM by MCNPA »

Moose

Re: Melvin Swift, SF, Yates HS, Tx
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »

"I Am Taking My Talent To? UConn or St.John or Baylor or SMU or UMass or Penn State or St.Joesph's or Oklahoma Wesleyan 🏀🏆🏀🏆"

Um who doesnt belong there????
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:42:23 PM »

Oklahoma Wesleyan must be a favor to somebody...

NYCoffey

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »

I know. Why wood he consider UCONN?

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »

I know. Why wood he consider UCONN?

+100

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »
Had once committed to Xavier, so he must have decent ability. He also played with primo AAU team in Houston.

http://blip.tv/ballislife/6-8-melvin-swift-dunks-all-over-the-competition-best-game-dunker-of-2014-5613384
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:03:04 PM by paultzman »

LJSA

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »
He'll be able to run. I'm pretty sure Yates has averaged more than 100 a game the past several seasons.

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
He'll be able to run. I'm pretty sure Yates has averaged more than 100 a game the past several seasons.

Really? That's ridiculous.

But yea he sure looks like he can run and jump and also looks like he likes to press.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
I think they have another guy with similar size and skill set on the team. I'd take both of them and run run run all day.

LJSA

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »
Per wikipedia:

"As of March 2010, Yates' boys basketball team was ranked number one in the nation by USA Today having defeated their opponents by margins of 135, 115, 99 (twice), 98, 90 and 88 points. On January 6, 2010, the basketball team defeated Class 4A District 21 opponent Lee High School 170-35, setting the state record for points in a game and sparking al debate in the process. Despite a 100-12 halftime lead, the Lions stayed true to their pressing and trapping style, which did not sit well with Lee head coach Jacques Armant.

“I feel very disrespected right now,” Armant told the Houston Chronicle after the game. “I don’t understand why Yates just kept scoring and pressing when they were up so much. These are kids. It isn’t good to do that to other young men.” Yates head coach Greg Wise defended his team’s efforts. ESPN's Rick Reilly wrote a scathing article condemning the school's coach, Greg Wise, as unsportsmanlike. He called upon USA Today "to remove Yates from its national rankings ... as a statement about basic sports decency."[22]

In February 2012 Yates was reclassified as a University Interscholastic League 3A school, down from the 4A level."

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
Per wikipedia:

"As of March 2010, Yates' boys basketball team was ranked number one in the nation by USA Today having defeated their opponents by margins of 135, 115, 99 (twice), 98, 90 and 88 points. On January 6, 2010, the basketball team defeated Class 4A District 21 opponent Lee High School 170-35, setting the state record for points in a game and sparking al debate in the process. Despite a 100-12 halftime lead, the Lions stayed true to their pressing and trapping style, which did not sit well with Lee head coach Jacques Armant.

“I feel very disrespected right now,” Armant told the Houston Chronicle after the game. “I don’t understand why Yates just kept scoring and pressing when they were up so much. These are kids. It isn’t good to do that to other young men.” Yates head coach Greg Wise defended his team’s efforts. ESPN's Rick Reilly wrote a scathing article condemning the school's coach, Greg Wise, as unsportsmanlike. He called upon USA Today "to remove Yates from its national rankings ... as a statement about basic sports decency."[22]

In February 2012 Yates was reclassified as a University Interscholastic League 3A school, down from the 4A level."

Wow coach sounds like a class act.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 12:17:02 AM »
I would politely say, no thanks. Melvin is a very good athlete but doesn't excel in enough areas of the game to be impact guy in Big East. Think Amir Garrett with less of a jumpshot & handles.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »
From last week;

Melvin Swift, 2014 PF - Houston Yates High School (Texas)

The only member of the senior class who will be at the event, Melvin Swift would be the Minutemen's biggest priority at the event if he is still on the board at that point. Swift is an explosive 6-foot-7 forward who is known for thundering dunks and his ability to run the floor on the break. He is a little undersized for the power forward spot, but what he lacks in height he makes up for in athleticism.

In UMass' favor is redshirt freshman Clyde Santee, Swift's former teammate at Yates. The experts at 247sports believe he is headed to Penn State.h

Swift is still considering seven schools: UMass, UConn, Penn State, SMU, St. John's, Baylor and St. Joseph's, as of last week. He has taken official visits to St. Joe's and Penn State already and will be on his official at UConn on Oct. 10.

http://www.hustlebelt.com/umass/2013/10/7/4813446/five-players-with-offers-from-umass-basketball-to-play-in-2014
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:45:41 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »
I wish players would stop saying "I'm taking my talent to..."  What are they leaving the rest of themselves somewhere else?  It's more annoying than people who sign off on their own posts...

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »
Was told SJU staff visited him yesterday. Guess so;

“@DelgrecoWilson: @ThatBoySwift St. John's is in da building to the @ThatBoySwift today!! Let's go Swift!!”

paultzman

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
“@ThatBoySwift: Hope My UConn & UMass & SMU & St.John & Baylor & Penn State & St.Joesph's People Show Up To My Game On November 11 🏀🏆🙌”

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 02:03:59 PM »
“@ThatBoySwift: Hope My UConn & UMass & SMU & St.John & Baylor & Penn State & St.Joesph's People Show Up To My Game On November 11 🏀🏆🙌”
Heard UConn, Umass, SMU, Baylor, Penn St., and St. Joe's are recruiting him the hardest!  ;) :)