St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8

• 507 replies

jr49

Re: St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2013, 01:36:59 PM »
I'm not much on perdition making, but hope Gift gets enough court time to wreck some havoc. Because CO sat gift got enough time to shake off the rust. I know our other bigs gotta play, but hope Gift gets his chance.

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
SJU - 42
Wisc - 43

dR3w

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »
Under Lavin StJ hasn't defended the three very well.  My opinion is we will be out-coached or out-prepared.  StJ always seems to start soooo slow.  I think if the Johnnies can force a faster tempo, they have a chance, but if this is a half-court contest, the Johnnies are in for a long night.  I hope I am wrong.  Wisconsin 72- StJ 62.

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
Hey, guys!  Looking forward to the game tonight.  This game scares the hell out of me because I recognize St. John's length and athleticism.

Wisconsin graduated integral big men from last season in Jared Berggren, Mike Bruesewitz, and Ryan Evans.  I think we will miss Berggren the most.  He was a very good post-defender and our best big man.  We'll miss Bruesewitz's hustle plays.  Frank Martin was incredibly complimentary of Bruesewitz following our win over K. State in the 2012 NCAA Tournament, which is telling of his importance.  Ryan Evans had a terrific junior season in 2011-2012, but took a giant step back in 2012-2013 and was a complete liability on offense.  We will miss his ability as a versatile defender, but not his offensive woes.

Now, in their place, we will have Frank Kaminsky, Sam Dekker, Nigel Hayes, Vitto Brown, Duje Dukan, and Evan Anderson.  It is a talented, yet inexperienced front court. 
- Kaminsky has been an important contributor since he was a freshman, but is now the starter.  How will he adapt?  He is a finesse big man with a solid shooting stroke.  Can stretch the floor, but is not a knock-down shooter by any stretch.
- Dekker is a heralded sophomore.  Came in as a consensus 5* prospect a year ago and expectations were through the roof.  He is an incredibly gifted offensive player, but was put on a short leash because of his defense.  We were prone to scoring droughts in 2012-2013 and having our most gifted offensive player being on that freshman leash had our fan base playing tug-of-war.  It's a new year and Bo Ryan will undoubtedly keep Dekker in there.  Behind GRIII and Gary Harris, Dekker is the conference's best pro prospect.  Dekker is listed as a forward, but is more of a wing-forward.
- Brown and Hayes are both freshman that have impressed the coaching staff thus far.  They are young and both from Ohio.  We'll see what each can bring to the table.
- Dukan is a guy that many are intrigued about.  His father is the Director of International Scouting for the Chicago Bulls.  He is a junior (RS) that has yet to really contribute to the Badgers, but as a 6'8"-6'9" wing with a nice shooting stroke, should provide some stability.
- Anderson had some big-time offers out of high school (Kansas, Kentucky, Marquette), but also hasn't been a large contributor for Wisconsin.  His imposing size will provide us with some depth, though.  He just needs to learn to be a bit more disciplined defensively.

The backcourt is the strength of this team, especially when you consider Dekker is a wing-forward.
- It's good to have Josh Gasser back.  He was an all-conference defender in 2011-2012 before tearing his ACL before last season commenced.  Really hurt, especially after losing Jordan Taylor to graduation.  A lot of young guys had to grow up quick.  Good defender, good shooter, but this is his first live action in over a year.  We'll see what happens.
- Ben Brust is an undersized shooting guard with range up to 25' ... Kid has no problem letting it fly.  Despite his height, he is a deceivingly good rebounder.
- Trae Jackson is Jim Jackson's son.  Kid made the transition to PG last season and was lightning in a bottle.  Made some huge plays for Wisconsin, but also committed turnovers and questions surrounded his overall on-court attitude.  All indications (per news sources) point to a much better demeanor this season.
- Our backup guards include Bronson Koenig and George Marshall.  Koenig is a highly-rated recruit from Wisconsin that chose us over Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Marquette.  He is one of the more talented guards we've had come here in some time.  Sweet stroke from behind the arc and he should get some minutes.  The other guard, George Marshall, was originally pegged to be the starting PG in 2012-2013 when Gasser went down.  Unfortunately, he had some trouble adapting and was relegated to the bench.  He does bring a lightning streak to the offense, though.  He is very quick.

I think Wisconsin holds the pace.  In the past six seasons, I can think of just three times a team completely controlled the pace (Duke in '07, UConn in '08, OSU in '11).  That's not to say we win every game because that is simply not the case.  Bo Ryan teams are just very good at dictating the tempo.

I'm expecting St. John's to pull out the win tonight.  Wisconsin is too inexperienced in the front court and I am not sure how well Gasser performs in his return from his ACL injury.  On top of that, we have not been so hot coming out of the gate over the past couple seasons against bigger opponents.  Assuming my prediction of St. John's winning is correct, that'll be huge come March.  Wisconsin currently ranks only behind Duke, Kansas, and MSU in NCAA tournament appearances in a row.

Also, I'm not sure if any of you have ventured to the Wisconsin Scout board or Buckyville to see what other fans are saying about tonight's game.  The chatter has been pretty mild because we are in the middle of football season trying to secure a BCS bid!  Big game tomorrow versus BYU, so many have that in mind.  That's not to say anyone is dismissing St. John's as an opponent.  Just unfortunate that the two seasons overlap.  A little different than North Carolina who can't wait to get out of football season.  ;)

Anyway, sorry for the incredibly long post and best of luck tonight!  I would love to see my Badgers pull it off in South Dakota, but I think early-season struggles and a scoring drought gives you guys a six-point victory.

66-60, St. John's.

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
Thanks for the team breakdown.  Let's hope the players are more focused on the BCS bid.

bk8664

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »
Hey Badgers007,
Thank you very much for you synopsis,

And this why most of think we are going to lose on this board, since we have been terrible defending the outside shot...    Quoting you, on four different players on your team:

"1. solid shooting stroke
 2. gifted offensive player
3. with range up to 25'
4. Sweet stroke from behind the arc"

This is what has our board terrified....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:49:02 PM by bk8664 »

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2013, 05:45:27 PM »
WOOOOOOOO

GAME 1 LETS GOO BOYS!!!

kjd01067

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
Can't believe the season starts tonight. So pumped let's go Johnnies!

Moose

« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »
Be interesting to see who of the local beat writers, Kussoy/Braziller/Rubin/Logan, make the trip to sunny South Dakota for game.  If any.

Kussoy is going.
Be interesting to see who of the local beat writers, Kussoy/Braziller/Rubin/Logan, make the trip to sunny South Dakota for game.  If any.

Kussoy is going.

I realized at the exhibition game last week  that I went to HS with that guy.     How long has he been covering the team?
Can't say I'm surprised he's a sports writer, seems made for the job. 

Not sure exactly what he was doing at the Post prior to this year but this is his first year on SJU exclusively.  Him and Zach will be splitting duties supposedly.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
@StJohnsBBall: About 10 mins from tip. #SJUBB will start three guards in Branch, Harrison and Jordan. Forwards are Sanchez and Sampson. Legooooooo!

bk8664

« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »
@StJohnsBBall: About 10 mins from tip. #SJUBB will start three guards in Branch, Harrison and Jordan. Forwards are Sanchez and Sampson. Legooooooo!

Let's go baby!

paultzman

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
Stu Jackson, former NBA Suit, praising Johnnies at half of PC game.

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2013, 07:00:24 PM »
Lets go!!!

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2013, 07:01:04 PM »
Hopefully this is the year. Can't  wait for this to start.

TONYD3

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
This game has a great Alaska shootout feel. Hopefully same result. Lets go boys

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
Brust in his 11th year?

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2013, 07:11:14 PM »
Sanchez looks so smooth out there.

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »
This game has a great Alaska shootout feel. Hopefully same result. Lets go boys

Without the gun store commercials and BBC-esque panoramic shots from the baseline.

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
Looks like our strategy of letting the opponent shoot uncontested threes is still going strong.

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
Two dumb fouls by Sanchez. Could hurt us.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.