God's Gift Critique

• 56 replies

paultzman

God's Gift Critique
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »
Reasonable piece IMO;

“@QSJUHoops: God'sgift Achiuwa is back; more ready to contribute for Johnnies than before? #sjubb (Plus: a poll!) http://sbn.to/1hj6RzR

Re: God's Gift Critique
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »
what i love most about Gift, is that he doesn't take a play off.  He is always hustling.  the guy will bust his ass running down the court on every possession trying to beat the other team down and get himself into proper position. 

he's clumsy with the ball, but as long as he can secure some rebounds and put back some easy layups, i'll be happy.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »
GG might be a Reggie Evans type player in the future and that would make me happy!  I'm always happy except today. I had a bowl of bourbon and some crackers and it ain't laying right.  Must be the salt.

LJSA

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
GG might be a Reggie Evans type player in the future and that would make me happy!  I'm always happy except today. I had a bowl of bourbon and some crackers and it ain't laying right.  Must be the salt.

A Reggie Evans-type player would average 15 and 11. Go easy on the salt.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »
I think he's going to have a pretty solid season for us. I know he played better against lower opponents 2 years ago but I also remember him when we went out to the kentucky game and he played really well ( and kentucky fans were very impressed by him ) so he definitely has it in him

boo3

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »
I think he's going to have a pretty solid season for us. I know he played better against lower opponents 2 years ago but I also remember him when we went out to the kentucky game and he played really well ( and kentucky fans were very impressed by him ) so he definitely has it in him

I'm with you. People hate on him if he has a good game against Humbolt st in preseason and hate on him when he has a good game against Kentucky in a real game... No convincing those people. No reason he can't give 10-12 solid minutes and play good defense and rebound and follow up some misses. 

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 07:43:04 AM »
It was his first year playing D-1 ball. If we expect all our other players to get better after some experience, why can't he? Coming off the bench he's going to make Obekpa's job a little easier.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:17:19 AM »
HE IS AS HARD OF A WORKER as we have ever had......exept maybe billy goodwin

TONYD3

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:49:07 AM »
 hope this year gift can give us 5/10minutes, a few fouls maybe a few points and not lose any games for us.  I don't think he can get much better because I dont think he is anywhere near a big east player. He looks strong but he doesn't play strong. i dont think he is a good defender and he has little basketball skills.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 10:14:02 AM »
I'd be shocked if he wasn't a big contributer.  He did come up small against most tough opponents two years ago, but this is now.

Big contributer, meaning eight points and five rebounds in limited playing time.

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
I like him.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »

I'm with you. People hate on him if he has a good game against Humbolt st in preseason and hate on him when he has a good game against Kentucky in a real game... No convincing those people. No reason he can't give 10-12 solid minutes and play good defense and rebound and follow up some misses. 

There should be no convincing anyone that we did anything well vs UK.

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
I keep hearing that Gift put up his stats against UK in garbage time.  He only scored one point and had no rebounds in the last five minutes of the game.  He had 7 pts. and 3 rebs in the first half.  The rest of his stats were accumulated in the first 15 minutes of the second half.  I know the game was never in doubt just about from the opening tip (if everyone remembers, we had 6 scholarship players and they had the first two picks in the next NBA draft) but my question is, at what point did UK stoop playing defense and trying to get rebounds?

http://espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=313350096

EDIT:  We still had Nuri and Stith, so we were not yet down to 6 scholarship players.  Unfortunately, those two were not the difference makers.  Amir wasn't there yet, so we had 7.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 05:32:49 PM by simplyred »

Poison

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 06:57:39 PM »
We'll know tomorrow night

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »

Gift and Sanchez are the type of players that Wisconsin doesn't want to see inside.  Gift needs to continue his hustle from last game, and be garbage man down low.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:08:31 PM by MCNPA »

bk8664

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »

Gift and Sanchez are the type of players that Wisconsin doesn't want to see inside.  Gift needs to continue his hustle from last game, and be garbage man down low.

Do you mind elaborating on why Wisconsin doesn't want to see Gift?  Not sure I follow you.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »

Do you mind elaborating on why Wisconsin doesn't want to see Gift?  Not sure I follow you.

He's a very high percentage scorer inside and a very good offensive rebounder.  Wisconsin lost their entire frontcourt last year.  Gift can be a menace with offensive boards and put backs, because IMO a big key to the game will be SJU on the offensive boards. 

It only needs elaborating because you're another Gift-hater I presume, but I obliged anyway.  He can help us.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 07:45:16 PM »
Not trying to be a dxck. What has he done to make u think he will help us? I hope he has 25 rebound and scores 30 points. But I don't think so

bk8664

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »

He's a very high percentage scorer inside and a very good offensive rebounder.  Wisconsin lost their entire frontcourt last year.  Gift can be a menace with offensive boards and put backs, because IMO a big key to the game will be SJU on the offensive boards. 

It only needs elaborating because you're another Gift-hater I presume, but I obliged anyway.  He can help us.

Please don't take offense at my asking.  I don't hate on any of our players.  I just don't understand how Gift is any different from any muscled 6'8'' power forward that you'll find on any team from the Big East, Big Ten, ACC, AAC, etc.

MCNPA

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 08:55:35 PM »
Not trying to be a dxck. What has he done to make u think he will help us? I hope he has 25 rebound and scores 30 points. But I don't think so

He was almost a 10pt 6 reb guy his first season, who scored over 50% from the field.  Why do you think he can't help?  He doesnt have to match your absurd numbers which make no point whatsoever.  Seems you really are just trying to be a dick because his first seasons numbers are very good and he just scored 24pts and a bunch of rebounds in our most recent exhibition.