Just a seriously flawed team we have

• 41 replies
Just a seriously flawed team we have
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
The team cant shoot and cant rebound. They have a number of the same type of slasher/athletic players (which is a synonym for cant shoot).

If you were another team's coach, why would you entertain playing man to man (other than as a switch up once in a while)?

This team is just not put together correctly. Lavin got some talented players but the mix is awful.

A mess.

SJUFAN

Re: Just a seriously flawed team we have
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »
The team cant shoot and cant rebound. They have a number of the same type of slasher/athletic players (which is a synonym for cant shoot).

If you were another team's coach, why would you entertain playing man to man (other than as a switch up once in a while)?

This team is just not put together correctly. Lavin got some talented players but the mix is awful.

A mess.

Not even sure if you could say they are slashers. I haven't looked at it, but I would guess that they are bottom of the league in free throw attempts.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »

A mess.

Team couldn't shoot last year.  Coach went out and landed a very good shooter in Hooper.  And doesn't play him.

Your guess is as good as mine.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:51:24 PM »
The mix has been a mess because its been exactly that so far.  A mix.  No set lineups or identity means guys havent gotten into a rhythm.  Things like defensive rotations which leads to better rotations when the ball comes off the defensive glass improves as guys play together.  I would also say we have a flawed approach given how many 2 pt jumpshots we take.  Must run better offense off the ball to the rim.  I think refining Orlando Sanchez's role to being a high-post player and passer out of the high-post would help this.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

SJUFAN

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
I think refining Orlando Sanchez's role to being a high-post player and passer out of the high-post would help this.

I agree the Sanchez's would be better suited out of the high post, problem is that is the only area on the florr were Sampson can be effective. So Sanchez's isn't in the high post much when Sampson is in the game.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »
I think refining Orlando Sanchez's role to being a high-post player and passer out of the high-post would help this.

I agree the Sanchez's would be better suited out of the high post, problem is that is the only area on the florr were Sampson can be effective. So Sanchez's isn't in the high post much when Sampson is in the game.

Sampson could be a killer on the baseline IMO.  He needs to go up strong every time he gets the ball. Have you guys seen Justin Jackson on Cinci play? He is not nearly as talented as Jakarr and although he may be a bit thicker than him he is no brick house,  but he goes out there every game and in his mind truly believes that he is the biggest baddest MO FO in the gym. In reality he is not, but thats how he plays and its great to watch. Jakarr needs that type of intensity.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 02:38:08 PM »
i wish we could be an athletic smart team like a San Diego State.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »

Sampson could be a killer on the baseline IMO.  He needs to go up strong every time he gets the ball. Have you guys seen Justin Jackson on Cinci play? He is not nearly as talented as Jakarr and although he may be a bit thicker than him he is no brick house,  but he goes out there every game and in his mind truly believes that he is the biggest baddest MO FO in the gym. In reality he is not, but thats how he plays and its great to watch. Jakarr needs that type of intensity.

Great comparison.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »

Interesting since we have competed with them for a number of recruits recently.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 02:42:16 PM »
Winston Shepard does not mature if he comes here!

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »
Maybe we do but maybe just maybe we don't have a very smart (in terms of teaching basketball) head coach!

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »
Fisher>Lavin

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
I actually feel bad for criticizing Lavin prior to Saturday. I wish I could go back to a time when he only slightly annoyed me. Would be like constantly getting on your kid for not doing his homework only for him to burn down your house.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 05:12:20 PM »
I actually feel bad for criticizing Lavin prior to Saturday. I wish I could go back to a time when he only slightly annoyed me. Would be like constantly getting on your kid for not doing his homework only for him to burn down your house.
Great analogy as Lavin seems intent on burning down the program. Let's hope he takes stock of himself and wises up. A highly respected former HS coach with strong ties to the program thought Lavin's move of starting a walk on vs g'town was crazy.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »
I like Lavin, met him his second day on the job. I was interning at a local sports network when he came in with Fratto for an interview. I sat in Fratto's car while the two of them grabbed dinner. However, I started to sour on Lavin when he did not hire Tim O'Toole as an assistant in spring/summer of 2012. Especially since Tim knew our team  and was schooled in Syracuse zone. Coach Lavin is a solid recruiter he has raised our recruiting profile ten fold, but the way this team plays on the court I see no difference from the Norm era.

SJUFAN

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
I like Lavin, met him his second day on the job. I was interning at a local sports network when he came in with Fratto for an interview. I sat in Fratto's car while the two of them grabbed dinner. However, I started to sour on Lavin when he did not hire Tim O'Toole as an assistant in spring/summer of 2012. Especially since Tim knew our team  and was schooled in Syracuse zone. Coach Lavin is a solid recruiter he has raised our recruiting profile ten fold, but the way this team plays on the court I see no difference from the Norm era.

Did you feel that way about the team's play after the Fordham game?

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 06:41:03 PM »
We had everything go right in that game also it was Fordham. We got out strong for a change. The Best game we played this year was against Cuse and we lost. 

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 11:02:09 PM »

Did you feel that way about the team's play after the Fordham game?
good post. As long as we beat Fordham by 46 points we can lose the rest of our games and everyone should be happy.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 01:54:08 PM »
SJU has been the land of combo players.  The closest we have to being a 4 or 5 is Obekpa and he's coming along slowly at best.  Sanchez and Karr belong at the 3 and are only faking it anywhere else.  Phil Green fakes it as a 1 and Jordan isn't ready.  DLo is about the only one who is properly placed at the 2 and that's one of the main reasons he's been successful.  Lavin would rather grab athletes and play them out of position than players with a knowledge of their roles. We have a bunch of 2s who can't surpass Harrison so where are the minutes coming from? Starting Balamou and now Ndjai with no experience was bizarre at best.  You have to think that something is up between Lavin and his team and the proof was in the pudding vs Gtown.  Anywhere else that alone would have started some action but you'll never see it at SJU. Too bad nobody cares.

ras

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 03:27:37 PM »
In Lavins first big recruiting year ,I was not happy that he recruited Garrett. Nothing against Garrett. We had Moe,Sampson, and Dom. Thaught we  were too heavy w long athletic wings and we needed needed a true PG , another true C. ,or shooter .Of course maybe Lavin knew Sampson was a long shot.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:31:26 PM by ras »