What is the solution?

• 63 replies
Re: What is the solution?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
 When the ship is sinking having a x's and o's second in command isn't going to alter the outcome.. The ship is still going down.. And, 3 years in, does anyone think this group and they are a group of individuals, is able to change their playing styles?  I don't..

Actually, here's a novel idea.. Make Lavin the AD, retire Monasch, give him another job and get us a new BB coach. but, Lavin would not select the COACH.

This way, for a year left, we pay Lavin off, have him manage the front office, with limitations and get a new COACH.

i think we have to acknowledge the Lavin era is on life support He isn't the guy to re-build the Program. Actually, did we ever finish last in the BE under Norm? I'm sure we did but, were we ever 0-5 to start the season?

After last night against Providence, I think he's lost the team with his questionable substitutions and overall, poor Coaching.

but, were we ever 0-5 to start?

uwsfan

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 11:01:20 AM »
Lavin should have been fired last night, after the game.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 11:04:52 AM »
In retrospect, why did anyone ever let Monasch hire the coach all by himself?

What multi-million dollar position isn't selected by a search firm or with the aide of consultants?

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
Take the team to see Lone Survivor

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »
1) Make Dom take 500 jump shots after every practice.  He improved his jumper as a sophomore but is worse than his freshman year currently. 

2a) Jordan needs to play 25-30 minutes a game.
2b) One of Branch / Jordan on the floor running the point at all times

3) Free Obekpa and build your defense around him.  I think man to man is the way to go and have him guard the teams worst shooting big. 

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
1) Make Dom take 500 jump shots after every practice.  He improved his jumper as a sophomore but is worse than his freshman year currently. 

3) Free Obekpa and build your defense around him.  I think man to man is the way to go and have him guard the teams worst shooting big. 

I don't think Dom has regressed. I just think he's lost in terms of where he has to be on the floor. There was one play last night where Dom caught it on the wing, drove to the basket, euro stepped, easy layup. He looked like a knife in butter.

I can honestly say that Dom can do that more often than not yet he just simply doesn't get the ball in those situations. He looks lost.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 12:50:42 PM »

I don't think Dom has regressed. I just think he's lost in terms of where he has to be on the floor. There was one play last night where Dom caught it on the wing, drove to the basket, euro stepped, easy layup. He looked like a knife in butter.

I can honestly say that Dom can do that more often than not yet he just simply doesn't get the ball in those situations. He looks lost.
Not to beat a dead horse, but wouldn't a more rigid offensive scheme being quarterbacked by a true PG at all times go a long way?

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 12:53:13 PM »
When Obekpa is in how about not playing man to man defense. The big man will always pull him out to the perimeter and you might as well have him sitting on the bench at that point.

SJUFAN

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but wouldn't a more rigid offensive scheme being quarterbacked by a true PG at all times go a long way?

Play Jordan. Anyone know what the deal was with him not playing much last night? Its crazy no one asked Lavin about that in his post game. His utilization of Jordan, or lack there of, has me thinking there may be some credence to Jordan leaving after the season. 

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 12:57:31 PM »

Play Jordan. Anyone know what the deal was with him not playing much last night? Its crazy no one asked Lavin about that in his post game. His utilization of Jordan, or lack there of, has me thinking there may be some credence to Jordan leaving after the season. 

At one point he was about to check in for Phil but Phil made a three point play I believe and he brought Jordan back to the bench.

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »
 I want to win saturday, but it might be better to lose. This guy has no clue. Worst thing that can happen is we start winning some games and make the NIT. We don't start to get better until he is out of here. Hopefully these guys get a senior year. They deserve it and we do also.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »

I think Branch and Sheed should split time at PG. I think the offense flows so much better with Branch at the helm. I don't think there should ever be a time with the exception of playing with a large lead late in game where Greene is at the point.

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »
I agree Tony last year the NIT was acceptable this year NO WAY.  To be honest 1-8 against real teams they are more like CBI or nothing.  One more loss to 0-6 then I root for them to lose and get the fraud out of here.  No way this team wins with him at helm and I am not ready to have another wasted year.  No more falling for this guys B.S.

He needs 2 go

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
Branch is absolutely terrible.  He looked good for a 5 minute stretch against DePaul because DePaul St Johns games are out of control like Branch likes to play.  Against disciplined teams Branch is useless and should get no more than 5 minutes of spot play.  I liked Greene the first 2 years as Lavin compared him to Rondo (LOL) but he has completely fallen off and does very little to make the team better.

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »
When Obekpa is in how about not playing man to man defense. The big man will always pull him out to the perimeter and you might as well have him sitting on the bench at that point.

At that point don't let the other team dictate your personnel. I'd switch to zone for a few possessions and switch back out. The problem with Obekpa is two fold.

1. Obekpa needs to play with more energy and assertiveness. He has rebounded the ball poorly and you simply need more production out of him.

2. Coaching staff keeps yanking him in/out which is visibly affecting his motivation. Both sides need to give a little.

I think Obepka is an elite talent and does something better than anyone else in the country but he needs to do more if he wants to elevate his stock. He needs to get more aggressive on the offensive glass much like Gift was last night. That energy is contagious just need someone on this team to spark it.

desco80

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »

I think Branch and Sheed should split time at PG. I think the offense flows so much better with Branch at the helm. I don't think there should ever be a time with the exception of playing with a large lead late in game where Greene is at the point.

I don't know how the staff doesn't see this Dave.    Lavin has tried every conceivable rotation combination possible, EXCEPT playing Branch more.   Him or Rysheed should always be in the game.  And last night the two of them played about 20mins combined, in a 2OT game!   

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
I want to win saturday, but it might be better to lose. This guy has no clue. Worst thing that can happen is we start winning some games and make the NIT. We don't start to get better until he is out of here. Hopefully these guys get a senior year. They deserve it and we do also.

It's sad, but I'm almost there with you. Like the end of the Norm years when everyone wanted us to continue losing. I'm not QUITE there yet, but don't blame those that are.

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 01:17:32 PM »
Branch is absolutely terrible.  He looked good for a 5 minute stretch against DePaul because DePaul St Johns games are out of control like Branch likes to play.  Against disciplined teams Branch is useless and should get no more than 5 minutes of spot play.  I liked Greene the first 2 years as Lavin compared him to Rondo (LOL) but he has completely fallen off and does very little to make the team better.

Can you be more specific?

You pinpointed where he was excellent then proceeded to ride the bench where the team lost.

There is no doubt Branch has some flaws as do all players but I think he has the best court vision on the team, actually looks to penetrate and create, keeps defenses on their heels. He has a couple of bad turnovers which I could live without but again he is at least looking for his teammates.

While Phil Greene may not turnover the ball as much he takes some awful shots that count as turnovers in my stat sheet. Fran Fraschilla likes to call bad shots, "silent turnovers." This team has a lot of those.

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »

Can you be more specific?

You pinpointed where he was excellent then proceeded to ride the bench where the team lost.

There is no doubt Branch has some flaws as do all players but I think he has the best court vision on the team, actually looks to penetrate and create, keeps defenses on their heels. He has a couple of bad turnovers which I could live without but again he is at least looking for his teammates.

While Phil Greene may not turnover the ball as much he takes some awful shots that count as turnovers in my stat sheet. Fran Fraschilla likes to call bad shots, "silent turnovers." This team has a lot of those.

When Phil shoots any shot I think it is a bad shot

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »

I don't know how the staff doesn't see this Dave.    Lavin has tried every conceivable rotation combination possible, EXCEPT playing Branch more.   Him or Rysheed should always be in the game.  And last night the two of them played about 20mins combined, in a 2OT game!   

Well I would say that it was to please Jordan yet his minutes aren't exactly shooting through the roof either. It is just odd because Phil Greene was recruited here to be a combo off the bench. He knew that coming in and was thrusted into more PT sooner than expected.