What is the solution?

• 63 replies
Re: What is the solution?
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2014, 12:19:35 AM »
One thing we can all agree on is that Branch or Jordan have to be on the court at all times. This team with all its athletes has no brain to run a normal halfcourt offense. This is where a true PG comes in.

Whoever said Branch is horrible clearly just doesn't understand what his role on this team could be if coached right. Branch is the one guy on the team who shows composure and acts like a true floor general. Even moreso than Jordan because Jordan gets crazy at times and puts his head down and drives to the basket out of control.

Yet Lavin's awful, pathetic patterns are killing any type of cohesion that is trying to be developed.

I think the frustrating thing is we don't know the reason behind the perceived madness. We are not at practice, we are not in the huddle. What if Branch didn't know the plays? I would like to think there has to be a reason for it because it doesn't make any sense.
What plays???

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »
Rotation? Preparation? Motivation? Scheme?

If you were in charge what would you do?
Fire myself and give myself a golden parachute!

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »
Let Hooper be the X & O Coach.

Marillac

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2014, 11:05:26 PM »
The solution IMO:

(1) Get the team to buy-in to a new identity with two key tenets:  (a) Pressure Defense to create easy baskets and extra possessions (b) Rebounding on both sides of the ball:  solid on the defensive end and, the signature characteristic of the team, being absolutely UNRELENTING on the offense glass.  Sure, we'll give up plenty of easy baskets with pressure, but we'll make the game ugly and allow our guys to react instead of over-think. Add more and more pressure every game until it becomes the backbone of our defensive philosophy.  None of this garbage man pressure...either zone press or a matchup to keep the center near the tin. 

(2)  Sit down Dom Pointer and let him know that his future will be based on how dominant he is at doing the dirty work--expanding his game from there.  The role he has had the past 2 1/2 seasons is over. Done.  His new role is to follow every single shot on offense with reckless abandon, set screens, MOVE through the defense, and put himself in positions where he can be a threat, like the baseline, cuts to the basket, alleyoops, etc. His goal should be to create a minimum of  3-5 extra possessions a game without any turnovers.  No more ball-handling in the half court, no more living on the perimeter, no more outside shots.  Just look for an angle to the basket and when the ball leaves the shooters hand, make life hell for the defense.  0.5 offensive rebounds a game for a top-notch 6'5/6'6 athlete at the wing position is DISGUSTING.  It is unheard of.  We can't win that way especially when he has more than twice as many turnovers (14:6) and a horrible 2 pt FG % in our eight losses (32%) to go with 2-15 shooting from three on the season (13%).   Substitute him liberally to keep him focused on his main goal.

(3) Branch has to play more.   We get absolutely nothing offensively from Sanchez, Pointer, or Sampson when they play the three.  They all float on the perimeter and lack the requisite ability to be a consistent threat.  Out of those three, only Sampson will even attempt to crash the offensive glass from the outside.  Nothing is lost by going to a three guard lineup, and we actually have better ball movement and a real perimeter threat. When he's in, he has to be much, much more aggressive.  A drive from him is a great look for us and makes things easier on his teammates. 

(4) Stop switching on every single ball screen.  Most of these kids are juniors, they need to learn how to handle a simple ball screen.  A switch should not be an automatic reaction.  Fight through the damn screen--especially with these new rules.  Obekpa and Sanchez on any guard in the country even for a few seconds is a foul waiting to happen.  If they do have to switch, there needs to be better communication and the other three defenders need to be ready to help so there is no repeat of Xavier. 

(5) The "combo" in front of guard gets permanently removed from Greene and it gets replaced with "shooting."  I know many of you hate the kid, but, in spite of an 0-5 three-game stretch before tonight, Greene is now shooting 40% from three and over 45% from two.  A set shot from him is as good as it gets for this offense.  He is also a threat to take it to the hole on a bad closeout and will get much more space as a shooter than Harrison or Hooper.

(6) Establish the post.  Yeah, they suck from inside, but you need that dimension to make the other things easier to come by.  It is a high % shot and we have four guys that can get off a shot with a 40%+ chance of going in. The offensive rebounding opportunities from those shots are higher than most because of the weakside help.  This should also draw the defense in to give our guards space to shoot or head/ball-fake and drive.

(7) Obekpa needs to get up to speed and play more.  He is statistically our best offensive and defensive rebounder, and he is shooting 56% from the field--yes, usually from dunks off of his offensive rebounds, but those are dunks nobody but Sampson would get. 

(8) Sanchez needs to be utilized better.  He needs to be a post player.  I have no problem giving him as many looks as he wants from inside ten feet or letting him face-up from the high post in.  He gets in trouble when he tries to drive or shoot from the perimeter.  Move it in and those 1.5 TOs per game will fall as points and rebounds go up. 1.6 offensive rebounds per game is not horrible, but it needs to improve. His minutes need to be reduced because of is poor conditioning.  He falls back into some very lazy habits when he's tired.  I have no problem with him or Dom leading the way on a break or in secondary transition, but Sanchez needs to stay under control and have a better idea of what he is going to do and where his teammates are supposed to be. 

(9) Jordan has to start every single game and get involved early.  He has been a second half player, but he needs to start before that sense of urgency kicks in.  I'd draw up something for him in the first three plays of every game to get him going.  He is one of the streakiest, rhythm players I've seen.  We need him to hit that 2nd half rhythm as early as possible.

(10) I would test out a four-guard lineup with Obekpa or Sampson in the middle, I love a three-guard lineup with Obekpa and Sampson, and I think our best lineup might be three guards, Dom at the four, and Obekpa/Sampson in the middle.  That should force Dom away from the perimeter.