Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC - ST. JOHN'S (SIGNED LOI)

• 164 replies

pmg911

Re: Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2008, 07:32:57 AM »
he also played for the panthers. I know the guy who handles him and he is gonna sign from what I have been told

Malik Stith. .   a second tier, at best, recruit has a "handler"

what is wrong with that picture..?

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2008, 01:36:36 PM »

I hope this blind date really works out! ???

Do you have questions or concerns about Stith ?
Seems there was no reason for the staff to offer early and accept his commitment if they did not feel he could play at this level. 

I think most posters show concern because he's not ranked by any website and since he plays in Carolina noone has seen him play.  Some see other highly touted players showing interest in us and are thinking maybe we accepted his verbal too soon.  Hopefully he's the goods because we need a PG in this class badly.

All I know is he hasn't signed on that dotted line so... if someone comes along that is more talented than there still is some wiggle room.

A great approach to build good will for the program  ::) thank g-d you are not a member of the coaching staff.

I'm not saying its the ethical thing to do... the point i was trying to get across was that if I was Norm and Parrom and Lance told me they wanted to play for me I would say thanks for the interest Malik but we can't offer you the ship.  Like you said its not the way to build a good program but what do you think calhoun does at Uconn and I wouldnt mind the kind of success they have been having up their.  I quess its kinda of a damned if you do damned if you don't.

I dont think that is what the drunk up in CONNU does at all.
For the longest period of time he has been recruiting 3 top 50 players a year and lets certain players go after they have played a season or two because he only has room for the best , like Wiggins and Kelly this past summer.
Although Will Harris is one example, that Darwinian approach is basically how Calhoun has built the program into one of the nation's best.

As for the drunk comment on Calhoun, to paraphrase Lincoln, find out what he brand he drinks and give a case of it to Roberts.  :D

kob24

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »
when I say the guy who handles him I mean his coach there isn't anything wrong with having some one help u out with school choices I don't think.

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2008, 09:59:45 AM »
it depends on what the coach is looking for in exchange for helping the kid out with his school choices.

sjd8886

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2008, 03:05:07 PM »
so if we can get both parrom and stephenson then this kid just gets the boot? seems kinda messed up...although im sure he would understand seems like the commitment should be honored by norm, even though he didn't sign...although it would be kinda funny if for once st johns were the one backing out of the verbal lol

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2008, 03:52:25 PM »
I don't see a reason for that to happen.  I'd be surprised if Stevenson makes a decision before the fall signing period - he's got too much attention on him, and there's no indication that he, Tiny, or his dad want that attention to stop, no sign of recruiting fatigue.  And any numbers crunch will be addressed with our heavy sophomore class - how are all 7 of them going to play along with impact recruits?  Not enough time to go around.  I say Lance decides in the spring and by then, one player currently on the squad will leave.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2008, 11:55:55 PM »
In a "perfect world" Norm honors this kids commitment, Parrom chooses SJU over Xavier within the next few weeks & someone on the current team is unhappy with his PT and expresses a desire to transfer... thus opening up a schollie for Lance(or Baskin/Bruce) during the "late" signing period OR enables us to lock-up Pinkston "early" for our '10 class..  ;D ... keep  ur fingers crossed johnnie fans!!!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Poison

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »
he also played for the panthers. I know the guy who handles him and he is gonna sign from what I have been told

Who knows what kind of recruit he becomes by the end of his senior year.
Ricky Torres was a top 100 recruit as a junior. By the time he got here, he wasn't a D1 player.

Stith could improve to the point where we'll be happy to have him. Lotta time left.

Malik Stith. .   a second tier, at best, recruit has a "handler"

what is wrong with that picture..?

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2008, 09:40:33 AM »
Who knows what kind of recruit he becomes by the end of his senior year.

Ricky Torres was a top 100 recruit as a junior. By the time he got here, he wasn't a D1 player.

Stith could improve to the point where we'll be happy to have him. Lotta time left.

Exactly poison... and from the little i've heard about him he sounds like boothe with a better offensive repertoire.. :) .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Randomhero423

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2008, 05:19:14 PM »
i heard from somewhere he's going to decommit.  i don't know how true that is but that's what i heard.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2008, 05:33:14 PM »
Really?  That's a little out of left field, even if it would make sense with the Hardy signing.  But there's hardly ever any news on this kid; who's in contact with him who would know about his commitment?  Does he have bigger schools on him than Wichita State now?

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2008, 05:46:37 PM »
Really?  That's a little out of left field, even if it would make sense with the Hardy signing.  But there's hardly ever any news on this kid; who's in contact with him who would know about his commitment?  Does he have bigger schools on him than Wichita State now?

Even with the Hardy commit that would solve absolutely nothing.  Stith is still the only qualified backup PG on the roster for this year or next. 

mkras99

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »

Yeah - he's a complete mystery.  No clue if he's even taken an official here.

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »
This mofo went AWOL....

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2008, 08:07:09 AM »
This mofo went AWOL....

Just read in Daily News his offer has been withdrawn.  Something about him questioning ST. John's ability to  succeed.  GOOD LUCK MALIK!!!
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2008, 08:20:12 AM »
This mofo went AWOL....

Just read in Daily News his offer has been withdrawn.  Something about him questioning ST. John's ability to  succeed.  GOOD LUCK MALIK!!!

You're correct queensrevolution.  Here's the blurb in the Omari signing article:

"A third letter of intent was expected, from point guard Malik Stith of Bridgton (Maine) Academy, who verbally accepted a scholarship offer in June. Over the last two weeks that arrangement has unraveled. Stith is said to be questioning St. John's potential to succeed. The Storm is said to have withdrawn its offer."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/11/13/2008-11-13_st_johns_starts_season_with_good_signs.html

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2008, 08:24:50 AM »
This mofo went AWOL....

You're correct queensrevolution.  Here's the blurb in the Omari signing article:

"A third letter of intent was expected, from point guard Malik Stith of Bridgton (Maine) Academy, who verbally accepted a scholarship offer in June. Over the last two weeks that arrangement has unraveled. Stith is said to be questioning St. John's potential to succeed. The Storm is said to have withdrawn its offer."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/11/13/2008-11-13_st_johns_starts_season_with_good_signs.html

Well its either that or he knew he wasnt going to get any PT

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2008, 08:28:23 AM »
He woulda got PT since he the only other PG 'sides Malik.

But I dont know the borther at all so I dont know what impact this had.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2008, 08:31:07 AM »
He woulda got PT since he the only other PG 'sides Malik.

But I dont know the borther at all so I dont know what impact this had.

Alot of guards on this team, and by the time he would have gotten here another player would have a year of backing up Boothe under his belt

mkras99

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
You won't catch me saying this very often, but Marco hit the nail on the head.