LAVIN ON WFAN

• 56 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: LAVIN ON WFAN
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
Only old people listen to radio, like parents of talented kids listening how Mike is positively talking about the team....Maybe, just maybe admit that he proudly went to SJU. It is a trickle down affect. Lavin can quote media outlets about the te, newspapers talk about what Mike says, even if they do hate him.

The other legendary coaches never had to do this because when was SJU ever I'm a 20yr lull to put it nicely. The key factor is SJU has to win constantly for a long period of time.

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2014, 12:48:02 AM »
I really don't think he struggled as much as he wasn't given the opportunity.

Revisionist history.  Playing Rysheed early on would have resulted in additional bracket busting out of conference losses.  Kid really sucked a$$ in the beginning.  Not even close to being ready from the get go.

Nope many of us were saying give him the ball and let him go. I and I have been saying Phil Greene can't play point for 3 years. Yet there he was again at start of the season. 

Nope - The kid didn't suck early on? or nope we wouldn't have lost additional games if we just "give him the ball" to a player that wasn't ready to take it?

I'm well aware of what people were saying and of your opinion of Phil Greene.

The day Jordan was born he was a better point guard than Greene is now so yes not only would we be better off then, Jordan would be more advanced earlier in the season and I am giving us 2 more wins at this point.

I see your point.  I think that was Hollywood's plan in the beginning as evidenced by the 24 min. he played in his first game against Wisc.  Only departing once he had fouled out.  He stunk in that game and his play closely resembled a deer in headlights.  Second game against Wagner he was even worse.  After these two he was shooting 12% from the field and 0% from 3.  I think Lavin got scared at this point and correctly concluded that the savior was not yet ready and had best be brought along a little more slowly.

After his 1st six he was shooting 23% from the field and 14% from 3 with 9 turnovers in limited minutes.  You love shooting.  Ordinarily you would be slamming a player with these numbers even if other aspects of his game, and they didn't at that point, resembled John Stockton.

Add the facts that he missed one game for "a violation of team rules" and missed another for an "ailing mother" in only his first eleven games......It is what it is.

Lavin can be knocked for many reasons. Not handing the keys over to a kid that's been drinking shots and doesn't yet have a drivers license, shouldn't be one of them.

I am guessing you were also a big Bobby Kelly and Mike Moses fan. Two other point guards that started over clearly better players.

No.  I liked Jackson.  Who's minutes did Bobby Kelly steal?

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »
Crazy Kevin Williams

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »
Mike Moses was better than Jackson at that point. 

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2014, 10:27:41 AM »
Mike Moses was better than Jackson at that point. 

Absolutely Not!

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »

Revisionist history.  Playing Rysheed early on would have resulted in additional bracket busting out of conference losses.  Kid really sucked a$$ in the beginning.  Not even close to being ready from the get go.

Nope many of us were saying give him the ball and let him go. I and I have been saying Phil Greene can't play point for 3 years. Yet there he was again at start of the season. 

Nope - The kid didn't suck early on? or nope we wouldn't have lost additional games if we just "give him the ball" to a player that wasn't ready to take it?

The day Jordan was born he was a better point guard than Greene is now so yes not only would we be better off then, Jordan would be more advanced earlier in the season and I am giving us 2 more wins at this point.

I see your point.  I think that was Hollywood's plan in the beginning as evidenced by the 24 min. he played in his first game against Wisc.  Only departing once he had fouled out.  He stunk in that game and his play closely resembled a deer in headlights.  Second game against Wagner he was even worse.  After these two he was shooting 12% from the field and 0% from 3.  I think Lavin got scared at this point and correctly concluded that the savior was not yet ready and had best be brought along a little more slowly.

After his 1st six he was shooting 23% from the field and 14% from 3 with 9 turnovers in limited minutes.  You love shooting.  Ordinarily you would be slamming a player with these numbers even if other aspects of his game, and they didn't at that point, resembled John Stockton.

Add the facts that he missed one game for "a violation of team rules" and missed another for an "ailing mother" in only his first eleven games......It is what it is.

Lavin can be knocked for many reasons. Not handing the keys over to a kid that's been drinking shots and doesn't yet have a drivers license, shouldn't be one of them.

I am guessing you were also a big Bobby Kelly and Mike Moses fan. Two other point guards that started over clearly better players.

Rysheed was in at the end of the DePaul game and he basically froze when he had the ball. Not sure why but I remember it clearly, he wasn't ready at the beginning of the season as I would have a expected him to be. But I understand why people clamored for letting him play through his challenges, for the future. Who was better at that point in the season PGIV or RJ, I thought it was Phil. Today Rysheed clearly.

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
@zschonbrun: . @SJUCoachLavin says he thinks five Big East teams will earn bids to NCAA. It's early, but that's the number he sees now

nudginator59

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »
@zschonbrun: . @SJUCoachLavin says he thinks five Big East teams will earn bids to NCAA. It's early, but that's the number he sees now

Steve is always the optimist.
Cougar O' Malley

DFF6

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »

It's still too early to really make a prediction for NCAA bids.  Nova and Creighton should be in.  After that, Xavier is well positioned (for now), and then you have a log jam among Gtown, us and Providence.  At best I think 2 out of the 4 make it in, but it could just as easily work out that only 1 of the 4 get a bid.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 03:11:30 AM »

For once, I'm glad he's getting that conversation started.  People need to start looking at this league like  a five bid conference. 

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
My gut tells me it will be five, hoping SJU will eventually overtake Providence.

Creighton
Nova
Xavier
GTown
SJU

Sounds good to me. Win tonight.

paultzman

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB Fans can catch @SJUCoachLavin on @ESPNNY98_7FM and @YESNetwork on Monday at 4:45 pm with @realmichaelkay and @DonLagreca.

ras

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »

Rysheed was in at the end of the DePaul game and he basically froze when he had the ball. Not sure why but I remember it clearly, he wasn't ready at the beginning of the season as I would have a expected him to be. But I understand why people clamored for letting him play through his challenges, for the future. Who was better at that point in the season PGIV or RJ, I thought it was Phil. Today Rysheed clearly.
You forgot to consider Branch as PG instead of Phil at that point in the season, DePaul game.

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:46 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin also said sees a 2015 and 2016 as potentially big classes. #sjubb

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Lavin also said sees a 2015 and 2016 as potentially big classes. #sjubb
And our patience will pay off...

nudginator59

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »
Making the tournament this year will really help.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »
Making the tournament this year will really help.
It's even helped on this board.  The haters have gone on hiatus - it's amazing that they lack the consistency they were criticizing.  And now the guys are playing hard and executing much more consistently - ironic.