Thursday's a play in game!

• 140 replies

goredmen

Re: Thursday's a play in game!
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »
I wish I lived in the fantasy world that you guys that think just beating Providence will be enough to get us in. Sounds like a fun little world you guys got there

My position is the BE gets four teams in, the winner of the SJU/Prov game dances. If the BE can't get four teams in then they are not treating it like the fourth best rated conference, they are treating it like a mid major.

Well before Gtown beat a depleted Michigan State team at MSG, the best non-conference win by a team not named Villanova is over Arizona State. And nobody other than Creighton has beat Nova in this league. So this conference isnt as good as you think. I know its sacrilege around these parts to think this, but this year the BE is right on par with A10. In fact the 4th best team in the A10 beat the 2nd best team in the BE.

They wont put 4 BE teams in the dance just because its the big east. The committee wont leave a team out that has a better resume than the 4th BE team just to have 4 BE teams in. Thats not how it works

jr49

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »
Does Anyone think GT can go on a run and win the BET? They are the only ones that make me nervous on taking the final BET tournament spot. Would the committee take into account that SJU hasn't won a tournament game in a decade as another reason not to pick SJU if were on the bubble?
No, but losing to Penn St. might get a couple of big ten teams picked over us. If we don't get in with 22 wins, it's ok to gripe. In or not I'm glad the guys held together, and finished up strong.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
I think it's dangerous to assume the Big East gets 4 teams, and therefore if X happens we'll be in best position for that 4th bid.

You need to look at the teams individually.   Committee members aren't going to be worried about whether the BE has 3 or 4 teams.   They're going to ask, is SJU better than Nebraska or Dayton or Baylor etc.

Tha Kid

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
TIS posted this site on redmen.  50 pct chance if we win 1, 75 pct if we win 2

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/st-johns-red-storm/bracketology
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
I believe the game is more of a play out game, the loser will be NIT bound for sure.

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
Beat Providence and we will need help from other bubble teams.

Beat Nova and we are in.  That would have to put us in the high 40s RPI and should be enough.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Foad

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 04:40:03 PM »
People keep saying this, but then I look at other teams resume's and I'm not too impressed. Not much better than ours. If we add two wins (One would be Villanova) we are 100% in.

What if the other teams add wins as well? You say we have a worse resume (theirs are "better than our") than other teams, which resumes you don't find impressive. So our is less than not very impressive. And I agree. Dayton -- one of the last four in -- for example isn't that great but they have a better resume than us. Two wins against top 20 opponents, a better conference record, losses to ranked Baylor, Saint Louis, VCU and  beat Georgia Tech, Cal, Old Miss, and unlike SJU they weren't scared to play Iona, who they beat. What if they win two games also. Still we 100 percent?

goredmen

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
People keep saying this, but then I look at other teams resume's and I'm not too impressed. Not much better than ours. If we add two wins (One would be Villanova) we are 100% in.

What if the other teams add wins as well? You say we have a worse resume (theirs are "better than our") than other teams, which resumes you don't find impressive. So our is less than not very impressive. And I agree. Dayton -- one of the last four in -- for example isn't that great but they have a better resume than us. Two wins against top 20 opponents, a better conference record, losses to ranked Baylor, Saint Louis, VCU and  beat Georgia Tech, Cal, Old Miss, and unlike SJU they weren't scared to play Iona, who they beat. What if they win two games also. Still we 100 percent?

The fact is we won't be in if we only beat Providence. If some dreamers here believe thats all we need to do to get in we might as well let them. They will be the ones extra disappointed next Sunday when we arent even realistically in the conversation

desco80

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
Regardless of whether you think they will get in with 0, 1, or 2 wins,  do you think they should be in?

Playing Selection Committee, I don't believe this team deserves to be in as they stand now.   
They need to beat Villanova to pass the eye test.   And then hope other teams of equal standing don't have equal or more impressive wins in their own conference tournaments (ie Nebraska beating KU, Cal besting Arizona, or FSU beating Duke or Cuse).

And odds are some of those teams will pick up signature wins as well.   Not everyone is going to sit pat. 

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 04:59:59 PM »

Well in the unlikely case that all of the teams in front of us as of now all win 2 games in their conference tournaments, we probably will be sweating it out. But, I think two wins against Providence and Villanova would be better wins than most teams ahead of us will have the opportunity to achieve. And like I said, as of now, their resume's aren't that much better than ours.

boo3

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
 We need two wins, preferably one against Nova, to have a shot.  The idea that one win gets us in wishful thinking, at best, insanity, at worse.

If we beat Prov and then Nova, I think we pass the eye test.  Since #February we have certainly played as one of the best 64 teams in the country... 

Foad

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »

Well in the unlikely case that all of the teams in front of us as of now all win 2 games in their conference tournaments, we probably will be sweating it out. But, I think two wins against Providence and Villanova would be better wins than most teams ahead of us will have the opportunity to achieve. And like I said, as of now, their resume's aren't that much better than ours.

I agree that there's about a 50-50 chance we back into a bid. I would have hoped that in Lavin IV we were better than that, but that was before I saw him coach. Now I feel lucky to be in that position.

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »
BE lite is not going from 8 bids to 3 bids in 1 season.  Beat the Friars and put on your best shoes.  We'ld be dancing.

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »
Jerry Palm has Providence in the tourney as of today.

I won't be holding my breath but not completely unreasonable to say we would replace them if we beat them.  And that's a BIG if...not looking forward to playing Cotton again.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

SJUFAN

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »

The fact is we won't be in if we only beat Providence. If some dreamers here believe thats all we need to do to get in we might as well let them. They will be the ones extra disappointed next Sunday when we arent even realistically in the conversation
I think it's dangerous to assume the Big East gets 4 teams, and therefore if X happens we'll be in best position for that 4th bid.

You need to look at the teams individually.   Committee members aren't going to be worried about whether the BE has 3 or 4 teams.   They're going to ask, is SJU better than Nebraska or Dayton or Baylor etc.

If the BE is the forth best conference then yes four teams should get in. That's why teams like Baylor gets some consideration. SJU/Prov should get in over teams like Nebraska and Arkansas. SEC was terrible this year. Only team Arkansas beat was UK twice and UK beat nobody except LOU. I think people are looking down on the BE because of the defections, can't wait for the BE to prove everyone wrong.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:05:09 PM by SJUFAN »

Wods317

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2014, 07:28:35 PM »
In my estimation we win Thursday we are at best 50-50 odds to get in. If we win two games especially if the second one is against Nova we will get in. Theres some good bubble teams but 22 wins coming off two quality wins we won't be left out in that scenario, I hope.

goredmen

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »
BE lite is not going from 8 bids to 3 bids in 1 season.  Beat the Friars and put on your best shoes.  We'ld be dancing.

so you're saying that even if other bubble teams have better resumes than the 4th BE team, the BE team will make it just because they are from the BE. Completely stupid. Go 1-1 in the BET and put your shoes back in the closet and buy your tickets for an NIT game at CA

goredmen

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »

If the BE is the forth best conference then yes four teams should get in. That's why teams like Baylor gets some consideration. SJU/Prov should get in over teams like Nebraska and Arkansas. SEC was terrible this year. Only team Arkansas beat was UK twice and UK beat nobody except LOU. I think people are looking down on the BE because of the defections, can't wait for the BE to prove everyone wrong.

People are looking down on the BE because Villanova was the only team that picked up any significant non-conference wins and they dominated this league

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »
On a side note, a reason that goes in Sju favor is our record away from home which the committee takes into consideration as well.  Based on our record compared to a team like Minnesota (2-9) and Nebraska ( 4-10) our record on road or neutral court, is much better (6-7) .   The only win of significance is neb over mich st. 

Tonight's game for neb is huge.  They have to win because they need these home victories to carry them.  Lot goes into these decisions on whose in or out but something worth noting.

Tiznow

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »

People are looking down on the BE because Villanova was the only team that picked up any significant non-conference wins and they dominated this league

They are 0-2 against the second place team losing by an average of 25 points.  They are an average of 5 points better than the Johnnies over two games.  I hope the johnnies get past Cotton.