Thursday's a play in game!

• 140 replies
Re: Thursday's a play in game!
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
He has massively underachieved with this team, especially if we don;t make the tournament.

I'm no great genius and I predicted pre-season that we would go 10 and 3 out of conference (exactly correct) and 11 and 7 in conference (missed by one).  I recall other rational posters picking in a similar range.  Our final conference standing was equal to or better than the pre-season coaches poll predicted.  By what measure or algorithm could this be seen as 'massive underachievement'?

Everything isn't black and white on a basketball court.
Except when we play Marco or Max.

boo3

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 04:27:18 PM »
 If we don't make the tournament it is a disappointment.  I thought this team had sweet 16 potential coming in. I didn't think it should have taken until february to have this team gel considering the fact that the core are experienced players.  Plus this squad took a " team building"  trip to Europe in the summer. One would think that fleshing out rotations and playing style would have occurred then , rather than having to endure an underwhelming non-coference and an 0-5 start to BE play.

If we get in, I'm happy...simple as that.   If not, Lavin deserves some the heat he will undoubtably take.

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »
I thought this team had sweet 16 potential coming in.

Still could happen.  But just because you put the cart ahead of the horse doesn't make this season 'massively disappointing' by any rational measure.

boo3

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
 I would say, not making the NCAA tournament this season would be disappointing.. For me personally, massively so.. I had higher expectations. I didn't think that this team, all coming back for the most part, would struggle so mightily in a watered down BE.

Yes, it is all still possible, so lets wait and see what happens.

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »
Massively disappointing is a little harsh. We realistically will finish with 21-22 wins, which most years is a lock for the tournament. And 21-22 wins is maybe a win or two short of what the majority of people on here thought we'd win.

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 05:19:07 PM »
I would say, not making the NCAA tournament this season would be disappointing.. For me personally, massively so.. I had higher expectations. I didn't think that this team, all coming back for the most part, would struggle so mightily in a watered down BE.

I agree. I would be tremendously disappointed

goredmen

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Massively disappointing is a little harsh. We realistically will finish with 21-22 wins, which most years is a lock for the tournament. And 21-22 wins is maybe a win or two short of what the majority of people on here thought we'd win.

21-22 wins has not historically been a lock to make the tournament. Teams from big conferences miss the tournament every year with 21-22 wins

Tiznow

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2014, 11:46:25 PM »

I thought watered down meant that you added water to weaken the flavor.  This league became smaller, unlike the conference they broke away from when powerhouse Tulane was invited to join.  It is some of the larger conferences that are watered down with too many non-competitive hoops programs.

You can make your case that it was easier to win this season as compared to past seasons, but it's not because it is watered down.  By the way, you may get an argument from two very highly paid and successful coaches.  Williams and Thompson had very rough campaigns as compared to prior seasons.

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2014, 12:02:56 AM »

21-22 wins has not historically been a lock to make the tournament. Teams from big conferences miss the tournament every year with 21-22 wins

Maybe not a lock, but if you're in a top 4 conference with 21 wins, you are most likely making the tournament. There are exceptions.

goredmen

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2014, 12:15:51 AM »

Maybe not a lock, but if you're in a top 4 conference with 21 wins, you are most likely making the tournament. There are exceptions.

Yeah, 4 exceptions last year alone

SJUFAN

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2014, 01:10:01 AM »
If we don't make the tournament it is a disappointment.  I thought this team had sweet 16 potential coming in. I didn't think it should have taken until february to have this team gel considering the fact that the core are experienced players.  Plus this squad took a " team building"  trip to Europe in the summer. One would think that fleshing out rotations and playing style would have occurred then , rather than having to endure an underwhelming non-coference and an 0-5 start to BE play.

If we get in, I'm happy...simple as that.   If not, Lavin deserves some the heat he will undoubtably take.

Nothing wrong with being disappointed. But the core is Jordan, Sampson, and Obepka, two sophomores' and a freshman. Wouldn't call that much experience. Lavin didn't help matters with his experimenting lineups, probably cost us two games. But at the end we tied for third, placed 5th. Exactly where we were projected to finish.   

Foad

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2014, 04:56:48 AM »
the core is Jordan, Sampson, and Obepka, two sophomores' and a freshman. Wouldn't call that much experience

Yeah, that's the core, good take.

Youngest team in America was last year's excuse. Try and keep up.

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2014, 06:54:26 AM »

Nothing wrong with being disappointed. But the core is Jordan, Sampson, and Obepka, two sophomores' and a freshman. Wouldn't call that much experience. Lavin didn't help matters with his experimenting lineups, probably cost us two games. But at the end we tied for third, placed 5th. Exactly where we were projected to finish.   

DId you really just leave Harrison off of this teams "core"?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »
This new Big East isn't a top 4 conference, no way. Big 12 the strongest, then Big 10/Pac 12 in either order, AAC very strong, ACC, A10, then Big East if I was ranking.  Maybe I'd put Big East above A10 to finish as 6th best conference but it's a toss up.

This new Big East will be lucky to get 4 teams in the tourney unless bubble teams in the power conference's above us all lose in first round of their conference tourneys.

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »

DId you really just leave Harrison off of this teams "core"?

Why let facts get in the way of a silly argument?

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2014, 09:00:02 AM »

ST John's team has never been left off with 20. Heck I have seen a 17 and 18 win ST John's team make it.

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2014, 09:30:03 AM »

ST John's team has never been left off with 20. Heck I have seen a 17 and 18 win ST John's team make it.

Those were the days when everyone played 26 games.

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
This new Big East isn't a top 4 conference, no way. Big 12 the strongest, then Big 10/Pac 12 in either order, AAC very strong, ACC, A10, then Big East if I was ranking.  Maybe I'd put Big East above A10 to finish as 6th best conference but it's a toss up.

This new Big East will be lucky to get 4 teams in the tourney unless bubble teams in the power conference's above us all lose in first round of their conference tourneys.

A10 could get six teams in.  Dayton #42 RPI  is their bubble team.

Tiznow

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »

Johnny, on the court the Big East teams won 8 of ten against the A ten.  You call that a toss up?

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »

Alright 21-22 wins usually gets you in the tournament. Is that ok to say?