Thursday's a play in game!

• 140 replies
Re: Thursday's a play in game!
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2014, 12:08:10 PM »
http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/st-johns-red-storm/bracketology
Odds To Make NCAA Tournament By Win Total

Total Wins       NCAA Bid%

23                      100.0%
22                      76.6%
21                       53.4%
20                      9.8%

I believe this is stjohns chances according to this site.  So if we end up beating providence well have 21 wins and a 53.4 chance of getting in , if we beat nova and get 22 wins then 76.6 chance of getting in, I personally think if we beat nova were 100percent in. 

Johnny23

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:54 PM »
This new Big East isn't a top 4 conference, no way. Big 12 the strongest, then Big 10/Pac 12 in either order, AAC very strong, ACC, A10, then Big East if I was ranking.  Maybe I'd put Big East above A10 to finish as 6th best conference but it's a toss up.

This new Big East will be lucky to get 4 teams in the tourney unless bubble teams in the power conference's above us all lose in first round of their conference tourneys.

Johnny, on the court the Big East teams won 8 of ten against the A ten.  You call that a toss up?

Tiz, that's like saying because Villanova beat Kansas back in November that the Big East is better than the Big 12. Do you really think that? You have to look at the entire body of work instead of just picking a tiny sample size like you just did. Furthermore, if you're going to tell me that the Big East won 8 of 10 against the A 10 at least name the teams who won and lost. Hell those wins could've been against the lower tier A 10 teams like Fordham and St. Bonny which makes your statement null and void.

Tiznow

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
This new Big East isn't a top 4 conference, no way. Big 12 the strongest, then Big 10/Pac 12 in either order, AAC very strong, ACC, A10, then Big East if I was ranking.  Maybe I'd put Big East above A10 to finish as 6th best conference but it's a toss up.

This new Big East will be lucky to get 4 teams in the tourney unless bubble teams in the power conference's above us all lose in first round of their conference tourneys.

Johnny, on the court the Big East teams won 8 of ten against the A ten.  You call that a toss up?

Tiz, that's like saying because Villanova beat Kansas back in November that the Big East is better than the Big 12. Do you really think that? You have to look at the entire body of work instead of just picking a tiny sample size like you just did. Furthermore, if you're going to tell me that the Big East won 8 of 10 against the A 10 at least name the teams who won and lost. Hell those wins could've been against the lower tier A 10 teams like Fordham and St. Bonny which makes your statement null and void.

Here's the link.  A-ten is lucky it was not ten and zero.  8 - 2 is a blow-out.  The fans of the guys with 2 should stop talking and do something on the court.

http://www.bbstate.com/conferences/A-10/vs

SJUFAN

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2014, 01:03:50 PM »
If we don't make the tournament it is a disappointment.  I thought this team had sweet 16 potential coming in. I didn't think it should have taken until february to have this team gel considering the fact that the core are experienced players.  Plus this squad took a " team building"  trip to Europe in the summer. One would think that fleshing out rotations and playing style would have occurred then , rather than having to endure an underwhelming non-coference and an 0-5 start to BE play.

If we get in, I'm happy...simple as that.   If not, Lavin deserves some the heat he will undoubtably take.

Nothing wrong with being disappointed. But the core is Jordan, Sampson, and Obepka, two sophomores' and a freshman. Wouldn't call that much experience. Lavin didn't help matters with his experimenting lineups, probably cost us two games. But at the end we tied for third, placed 5th. Exactly where we were projected to finish.   

DId you really just leave Harrison off of this teams "core"?

If we don't make the tournament it is a disappointment.  I thought this team had sweet 16 potential coming in. I didn't think it should have taken until february to have this team gel considering the fact that the core are experienced players.  Plus this squad took a " team building"  trip to Europe in the summer. One would think that fleshing out rotations and playing style would have occurred then , rather than having to endure an underwhelming non-coference and an 0-5 start to BE play.

If we get in, I'm happy...simple as that.   If not, Lavin deserves some the heat he will undoubtably take.

Nothing wrong with being disappointed. But the core is Jordan, Sampson, and Obepka, two sophomores' and a freshman. Wouldn't call that much experience. Lavin didn't help matters with his experimenting lineups, probably cost us two games. But at the end we tied for third, placed 5th. Exactly where we were projected to finish.   

Why let facts get in the way of a silly argument?

What facts do you speak of? I should include him as part of the core, he's a good player, but his success doesn't equate to the teams success. He's melo 2.0, imo. I think his shot selection is very poor. How many times has Harrison scored 20+ yet we lost? He'll go down as one of the all time leading scorers in SJU history yet in his junior year we're still a bubble team? That's the facts. We started 0-5 and our turn around happened not because of Harrison, he was scoring his 20 3 out of 5 times during that span, it was because of the play of Jordan, Sampson, and Obekpa. Lavin wised up and started playing Jordan and Obekpa more.

Foad

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
What facts do you speak of?

The fact that he leads the team in various statistical categories including points and minutes and is the focal point of the offense.

I should include him as part of the core, he's a good player, but his success doesn't equate to the teams success. He's melo 2.0, imo.

By Melo do you mean that bum who singlehandedly won a national championship, or is that some other Melo?

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »

Why let facts get in the way of a silly argument?

What facts do you speak of? I should include him as part of the core, he's a good player, but his success doesn't equate to the teams success. He's melo 2.0, imo. I think his shot selection is very poor. How many times has Harrison scored 20+ yet we lost? He'll go down as one of the all time leading scorers in SJU history yet in his junior year we're still a bubble team? That's the facts. We started 0-5 and our turn around happened not because of Harrison, he was scoring his 20 3 out of 5 times during that span, it was because of the play of Jordan, Sampson, and Obekpa. Lavin wised up and started playing Jordan and Obekpa more.

I agree the team has played better once Obepka and Jordan's roles were increased and Greene and Sanchez were decreased. But through it all Harrison has been Harrison. Take Harrison off this team and they are a 10 win team. But whether you like him or you don't, there is no argument that the best player on a team is a "core" guy.

« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »
Harrison is the best player on the team and it's not close. He helps the team win more than any other player.

derk

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »
Harrison is the go to guy when a big basket is needed. He is 2nd in the league in FT %, a stat which frequently decides games. If you leave hm out of your list of "core" players you should take up watching another sport. Oh and he's got the biggest pair of cojones on the team - by far.

SJUFAN

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »

The fact that he leads the team in various statistical categories including points and minutes and is the focal point of the offense.

I should include him as part of the core, he's a good player, but his success doesn't equate to the teams success. He's melo 2.0, imo.

By Melo do you mean that bum who singlehandedly won a national championship, or is that some other Melo?

Ok he's a core guy, fine. Harrison is a good player, but he hasn't singlehandedly even brought us to the NCAA  tournamnent let alone a national championship, hence 2.0. What they do have in common, and i'm comparing him to the Melo in the Pro's not college, is a propensity to put up numbers yet their team doesn't seem to win much, and by much I mean playoff games, NCAA toury games. I honestly equate it to Harrison's shot selection. He should be a spot up shooter and needs to shoot more from 3 point land. There are many times he catches the ball in position to shoot but hesitates and doesn't get off the shot. Then in that same posession, we don't get a better look, that drives me nuts. I'm waiting for the game Harrison puts up 30+. He could do it, his shot selection is just poor which is why he shoots below 40%. He should shoot the ball everytime he is open from three, EVERY time. He isn't left open that much so when he is he needs to take advantage of it, the team needs him to take advantage of it. We would be a better offensive team if players played to there strengths. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:19:39 PM by SJUFAN »

Poison

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2014, 06:05:22 PM »

Ok he's a core guy, fine. Harrison is a good player, but he hasn't singlehandedly even brought us to the NCAA  tournamnent let alone a national championship, hence 2.0. What they do have in common, and i'm comparing him to the Melo in the Pro's not college, is a propensity to put up numbers yet their team doesn't seem to win much, and by much I mean playoff games, NCAA toury games. I honestly equate it to Harrison's shot selection. He should be a spot up shooter and needs to shoot more from 3 point land. There are many times he catches the ball in position to shoot but hesitates and doesn't get off the shot. Then in that same posession, we don't get a better look, that drives me nuts. I'm waiting for the game Harrison puts up 30+. He could do it, his shot selection is just poor which is why he shoots below 40%. He should shoot the ball everytime he is open from three, EVERY time. He isn't left open that much so when he is he needs to take advantage of it, the team needs him to take advantage of it. We would be a better offensive team if players played to there strengths. 

I think earlier in the year, in games like the ones against Penn State, SU and Depaul. We had no one interested in stepping up, and making a play. So, there's Harrison with the ball at the top of the key doing what Lavin probably had him do. Trying to make something happen.

It's not what we want to see, and it's not what Harrison wants to do either.

So who gets the blame for making DLO take an entire team on by himself in crunch time over and over again? I'll give you one guess.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:14:03 PM by Poison »

DFF6

« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
Harrison is the best player on the team and it's not close. He helps the team win more than any other player.

Empirically, I agree that Harrison is our best player.  However, the guy that makes this team a top 25 team is Jordan.

Johnny23

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2014, 06:20:11 PM »

Here's the link.  A-ten is lucky it was not ten and zero.  8 - 2 is a blow-out.  The fans of the guys with 2 should stop talking and do something on the court.

http://www.bbstate.com/conferences/A-10/vs

Thanks for proving my point. You use wins over LaSalle and Fordham as part of your statement. That's just weak. And not to mention the A10's best team all year, St. Louis, didn't even play a Big East team. You need to look at the whole resume to make an honest evaluation.

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »
I would say, not making the NCAA tournament this season would be disappointing.. For me personally, massively so.. I had higher expectations. I didn't think that this team, all coming back for the most part, would struggle so mightily in a watered down BE.

Yes, it is all still possible, so lets wait and see what happens.

I confused everything when I changed your original statement, "massively underachieved" to "massively disappointed".  Yes, we all would be "massively disappointed" if we don't dance.  We're Johnny fans for g*ds sake.  Disappointed is our middle name. 

However,  the team has not "massively underachieved" even if they miss the tournament.  They finished the regular almost exactly as I, many rational others and BE coaches thought they would.  You can't consider that underachievement.

« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »
I agree the team has played better once Obepka and Jordan's roles were increased and Greene and Sanchez were decreased.

In 3 of our most recent 4 games,  Parallelogram has played 31, 35 and 37 minutes respectively plus he starts.  I'm incredibly concerned he'll be rusty for the BE tournament. LOL

Deep dish remains a vital and critical piece of our puzzle.  Hollywood's reliance on Rectangle certain not to diminish now that we're in crunch time.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:52:13 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2014, 10:08:18 PM »
I agree the team has played better once Obepka and Jordan's roles were increased and Greene and Sanchez were decreased.

In 3 of our most recent 4 games,  Parallelogram has played 31, 35 and 37 minutes respectively plus he starts.  I'm incredibly concerned he'll be rusty for the BE tournament. LOL

Deep dish remains a vital and critical piece of our puzzle.  Hollywood's reliance on Rectangle certain not to diminish now that we're in crunch time.

They pretty much gave up on the point guard disaster. Now he hits a couple of early threes then drifts around virtually unnoticed the rest of the game. I can live with that.

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »

They pretty much gave up on the point guard disaster. Now he hits a couple of early threes then drifts around virtually unnoticed the rest of the game. I can live with that.

He's shooting .426 from three on the season.  A hair behind Larry Wright's first season and comfortably ahead of Larry Wright's second season.

You've been quoted as saying (excuse if I paraphrase):
"Phil Greene should never take another 3 as long as he lives"
"The next 3 pointer Phil Greene takes will be one too many"
"We all know what's going to happen to his 3 point percentage as the year goes on"
etc., etc., etc.

ISN'T IT HIGH TIME YOU OFFERED PHIL AN APOLOGY?

P.S. He spent the last 6 minutes of the Nova game locked up mano a mano on Archidiacano when the whole world knows the offense is going to run through him and he's trying to take the big shots down the stretch.  Most everyone but you hardly consider that "drifts around virtually unnoticed the rest of the game".

P.S.S.  3 for 5 from three and an insane 4 assists no turnovers - infinity assist/turnover ratio in the huge must have senior day road win?  I'm fine with that.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:42:13 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »

Phil Greene is an important player to this team. He's a guy who can hit spot up jumpers at a good clip. Many of his threes come at times when we really need them.

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »
Now that they don't have him playing the point, I am happy he is at St. John's.

He can shoot, is decent in transition, has a nice floater, pretty solid d, and can get to the tin a little bit. Wish he shot FT's a little better, but Phil is a fantastic role player, with the potential to fill it up on certain nights.

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2014, 10:53:52 PM »

You foolishly tried to make an inane point linking better performance at basketball by St. John's with decreased minutes for the triangle ( a popular key component ).  I merely crumpled it up and threw it in the garbage by pointing out that Mean Joe has played 35 and 37 minutes in the last two "must have" victories.

Don't be bitter.

« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2014, 10:54:23 PM »
Agreed.  Phil is out of position at the point.  He's solid on the wing and can give us offense at times.  But he's not a distributor.  That's why Branch is so important to the team.  Sheed can't play 40 and the offense is much smoother when we have a natural PG on the floor.  Even though Branch's stats aren't great, I think he's done a fine job. I also like the offense when Branch and Sheed are on the court at the same time and Sheed can play a little off the ball.