The Plight of Dangelo Harrison...

• 70 replies

boo3

Re: The Plight of Dangelo Harrison...
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 01:31:12 PM »
I think the actual numbers of Harrison haters is pretty low.

The fact there are some shouldn't come as a surprise.  The majority of STJ fans are old crusty white guys.... A tatted up, mohawk wearing, kid from Texas who plays with his heart on his sleeve is sure to ruffle some of the wine and cheese crowd...

I wouldn't spend too much time worried about.. It's a very small minority
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:31:57 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 01:37:16 PM »
Seriously, what is the deal with the Harrison haters?
He got rid of the frohawk if that was part of the problem. People have speculated it is a race thing, but Hatten had cornrows and tats and is pretty well liked on this board.

Is it just a case of ridiculous expectations? Do people expect him to be Chris Mullin? He is not but he also does not have Wennington, Berry, Russell, Goodwin, Jackson and Glass. He also does not have Louie.

Is it just fans frustratingly take it out on the best player?

Very strange whatever the reason is

And his numbers are better than Hatten but it continues.

If only he went to Baylor like your summer prediction.  We would be battling DePaul for last in the BE.

I would still take Hatten over him only becuase he was more fun to watch and made the tourney with an even worse roster than Harrison has. Though Hatten did have a better coach.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:38:10 PM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »

The fact there are some shouldn't come as a surprise.  The majority of STJ fans are old crusty white guys.... A tatted up, mohawk wearing, kid from Texas who plays with his heart on his sleeve is sure to ruffle some of the wine and cheese crowd...

Minority?  I'm not too sure Boo.  Maybe its 35/65 maybe.  They are a very vocal 35 % too.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
He got rid of the frohawk if that was part of the problem. People have speculated it is a race thing, but Hatten had cornrows and tats and is pretty well liked on this board.

Is it just a case of ridiculous expectations? Do people expect him to be Chris Mullin? He is not but he also does not have Wennington, Berry, Russell, Goodwin, Jackson and Glass. He also does not have Louie.

And his numbers are better than Hatten but it continues.

If only he went to Baylor like your summer prediction.  We would be battling DePaul for last in the BE.

I would still take Hatten over him only becuase he was more fun to watch and made the tourney with an even worse roster than Harrison has. Though Hatten did have a better coach.

Equally fun to watch IMO.  Without question 2 of my top 5 from my days as a fan.

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »

Minority?  I'm not too sure Boo.  Maybe its 35/65 maybe.  They are a very vocal 35 % too.

There is some  truth to that though. There is only one Greene supporter but he is so annoying, persistent and off base about it that it makes it seem like there are more than him.

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »
This is my biggest prob with him -
10:15 left in the game - Harrison misses jumper Score 55-44
6:24 - still hasn't shot we have scored 2 points in this period. 63-46
5 minutes remaining He goes out. 
Team starts press and starts scoring without him.
His next shot
3:16 left in the game. 

Scores 13 points in the last 3 minutes ends up with 21.

Not ONE SHOT in 4 minutes when the team is completely dead offensively.  And none in 7 minutes.

Hey if the rest of team was lighting it up I wouldn't have a problem but look at the game.  Let your team go 5 minutes with 2 points and don't shoot?  That is the issue with him.  He is the only player who can score and he doesn't even drive to the basket let alone shoot the ball

Leaders lead.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:51:58 PM by happyrappy »

cjfish

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »
Here is the crusty old winedrinking white guy view on Harrison.  Don't care about Tats or shoulder length hair, if the kid can play and can be controlled, sign him.   Great talent but may be undersized for the NBA at shooting guard.  Forces too many shots but, at the end of a game, he knows how to get to the line and keep us in it.  Defense is inconsistent, sometimes good, sometimes not. Definitely has consistency problems.  His demeanor problems have lessened, as pointed out previously Pointer and CO are more of a problem in this area.  A very nice player who could be great on a more competently coached team. 

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Here is the crusty old winedrinking white guy view on Harrison.  Don't care about Tats or shoulder length hair, if the kid can play and can be controlled, sign him.   Great talent but may be undersized for the NBA at shooting guard.  Forces too many shots but, at the end of a game, he knows how to get to the line and keep us in it.  Defense is inconsistent, sometimes good, sometimes not. Definitely has consistency problems.  His demeanor problems have lessened, as pointed out previously Pointer and CO are more of a problem in this area.  A very nice player who could be great on a more competently coached team. 

See, even though your post was even handed, it brings out some of the unfairness towards Harrison. He gets criticized for forcing too many shots, yet people were complaining that he went too long w/o shooting yesterday. Kid can't win.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:17:31 PM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »

See, even though your post was even handed, it brings out some of the unfairness towards Harrison. He gets criticized for forcing too many shots, yet people were complaining that he went too long w/o shooting yesterday. Kid can't win.

Dribbling off 30 seconds on the clock each time down the floor is more to our fans liking.

*Side note NCAA should knock the shot clock down from 35 to 30.  Can't match the NBA's 24 but 35 is too long IMO.

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 03:14:51 PM »
He is a talented offensive player and he showed a lot of maturity this year.... 

That said...   he is a dumb basketball player and very very lazy defender...    trying to launch that 3 with 30 seconds left was a bad basketball play and honestly it was the move of a player with a low basketball IQ

Dont think he is a dumb basketball player. Actually think he is a smart one. Dont think he is a lazy defender, actually think he was our most consistent perimeter defender all year. Lazy defenders dont pull down 10 rebounds, especially when that player is shorter then everyone else and has the lowest vertical on the floor.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
8 points for a kid of his talent before the 4 minute mark is not sowing up

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »

Dribbling off 30 seconds on the clock each time down the floor is more to our fans liking.

*Side note NCAA should knock the shot clock down from 35 to 30.  Can't match the NBA's 24 but 35 is too long IMO.

There was a big story about the shot clock on I believe ESPN. Makes no sense why it is still 35. The women changed their's to 30 recently no?

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »

If you are a St John's fan who complains about Harrison then I have to question your knowledge of the game. He is the least of our problems
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:43:03 PM by Redstormy80 »

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »

Does he take some ill advised shots? Absolutely
I like Lavin but some of this stuff falls on him for tolerating if not encouraging high risk, low success probability actions...I think Harrison believes he is expected to score and taking those shots is part of it...same reason Pointer reaches in so much on defense..he sees his role as the guy who has to make something happen on defense

Back to Dlo...I think he plays hard...inch-for-inch the best rebounder on the team...

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 12:03:25 AM »

Does he take some ill advised shots? Absolutely
I like Lavin but some of this stuff falls on him for tolerating if not encouraging high risk, low success probability actions...I think Harrison believes he is expected to score and taking those shots is part of it...same reason Pointer reaches in so much on defense..he sees his role as the guy who has to make something happen on defense

Back to Dlo...I think he plays hard...inch-for-inch the best rebounder on the team...

I found it very funny when Sampson yelled box out to Harrison when Harris grabbed an offensive rebound.

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »

There was a big story about the shot clock on I believe ESPN. Makes no sense why it is still 35. The women changed their's to 30 recently no?
If by recently you mean about 20 yrs ago-yes.

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 01:00:11 AM »

If by recently you mean about 20 yrs ago-yes.

Has it been that long? I use to work with the women's team and believe me the shot clock and game clock couldn't run out fast enough.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 01:46:49 AM »
Harrison forces shots because the rest of the offense is pathetic. Dom and Phil are juniors, too. How'd they do? Right. Give it a rest.

goredmen

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 02:08:44 AM »
Harrison forces shots because the rest of the offense is pathetic. Dom and Phil are juniors, too. How'd they do? Right. Give it a rest.

Its mostly because theres no movement on offense to get him or anybody else an open look. Its all 1 on 1 or simple ball screens. Of the 350 division 1 teams I'd bet we rank 340 or worse in off ball screens set. Providence sets more off ball screens in one possession of their flex offense than we have the whole season

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »

Its mostly because theres no movement on offense to get him or anybody else an open look. Its all 1 on 1 or simple ball screens. Of the 350 division 1 teams I'd bet we rank 340 or worse in off ball screens set. Providence sets more off ball screens in one possession of their flex offense than we have the whole season

+1. They were good screens too
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.