« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »

Playing with Ashley Hamilton here
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Phil Wait - C - Proctor Academy - Andover, NH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 12:43:36 AM »

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2008, 12:44:43 AM »

and he has a good sense of humor....pretty funny shirt.

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2008, 07:19:53 AM »
did he make those shots? his release looks good.

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 08:09:58 AM »
Dont wanna hype, but the kid got hisself some nice form.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »
Tomas has nice form too ;D
Remember who broke the Slice news

HTGS_says_shutup

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 08:39:18 AM »
I am sorry but it's impossible for me to get excited about this signing.  With this staff's track record, to me, this is just another scramble to sign a player to fill a roster spot this incompetant bunch of "coaches" were unable to fill during the season.
If I read another "steal" or "diamond in the rough" post i am going to throw my breakfast up because it shows what a bunch of cheerleaders and unknowledgeable "fans" you guys are.

MAJOR <HAND WAVE> to this signing!!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »
I don't see a lot of people on this board really drinking the kool aid, or claiming he's going to throw it on Thabeet, Onuaku, Harangody, Greg Monroe, or claiming this is going to get the team to the freaking NIT.  He might be a diamond in the rough.  He might be a stiff.  He is 7'1", which means something if you can get him to the right defensive spots.  You're not excited, that's cool.  You give the signing the "hand wave," that's great (and an important opinion).

But don't throw hate on people who are trying to look for the silver lining because you feel beaten down by the incompetence of the administration and the coaching.  We're all hungry to watch a winner, even if it's expressed in different ways.

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2008, 09:38:17 AM »
I don't see a lot of people on this board really drinking the kool aid, or claiming he's going to throw it on Thabeet, Onuaku, Harangody, Greg Monroe, or claiming this is going to get the team to the freaking NIT.  He might be a diamond in the rough.  He might be a stiff.  He is 7'1", which means something if you can get him to the right defensive spots.  You're not excited, that's cool.  You give the signing the "hand wave," that's great (and an important opinion).

But don't throw hate on people who are trying to look for the silver lining because you feel beaten down by the incompetence of the administration and the coaching.  We're all hungry to watch a winner, even if it's expressed in different ways.

Amen.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »
But seriously, how come the staff doesn't assign/ hire some of the recent greats - Jayson Williams, Glover if he's around, or assign Billy Singleton to work with the bigs?  Williams was one of the best defensive big men of his time in the pros.  If they could pass that knowledge onto Coker and Wait, and if those guys were quick enough mentally and physically...

if, if, if.

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 09:45:36 AM »
But seriously, how come the staff doesn't assign/ hire some of the recent greats - Jayson Williams, Glover if he's around, or assign Billy Singleton to work with the bigs?  Williams was one of the best defensive big men of his time in the pros.  If they could pass that knowledge onto Coker and Wait, and if those guys were quick enough mentally and physically...

if, if, if.

Jay gotta few things on his mind other than ball these day.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2008, 10:29:23 AM »

if, if, if.

Jay gotta few things on his mind other than ball these day.

If Jayson was asked..   I think he would be happily work with players...

But Choz is right. . he is a little busy right now...

Poison

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2008, 11:01:04 AM »

if, if, if.

I'm not sure Jayson Williams has the kind of judgement you want in a teacher of any kind. Billy Singleton certainly does, and he already works for the program.
I do like the idea of bringing in anyone who can help the kids get better. Clearly Roberts isn't getting it done alone.

Where is Charles Minlend these days?

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2008, 11:08:02 AM »

if, if, if.

I'm not sure Jayson Williams has the kind of judgement you want in a teacher of any kind. Billy Singleton certainly does, and he already works for the program.
I do like the idea of bringing in anyone who can help the kids get better. Clearly Roberts isn't getting it done alone.

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=UKR&PlayerID=28727

Randomhero423

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »
i'd love anthony glover.  my dad taught him.  he's a really nice guy from what i've heard.

i think with a guy like paul wait he's such a mystery it's hard to be exicited and not exicited for him.  i think it's a good sign UCLA was recruiting him but i'm not going to think he's a savior or starter right away.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »

if, if, if.

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=UKR&PlayerID=28727

Eastern Europe. Ouch. Work is work I guess. Thanks for that.

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2008, 12:14:49 PM »
Eastern Europe. Ouch. Work is work I guess. Thanks for that.

Have you been to eastern Europe...not everything looks like a scene from Rocky 4 :P
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
'BIG' DAY FOR JOHNNIES

By LENN ROBBINS

June 10, 2008

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06102008/sports/big_day_for_johnnies_114815.htm

Glenn Braica, St. John's assistant basketball coach, went to the Canary Islands in March and landed a big fish.

The Red Storm yesterday announced the signing of 7-foot-1 center Phil Wait, who had coaches from UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas and Virginia Tech flocking to the islands.

Wait, a 21-year-old from Manchester, England, averaged 15 points and 10 rebounds last season at Proctor Academy in Andover, N.H., which plays in the same New England prep-school league as St. John's players Justin Burrell and Paris Horne, both of whom attended Bridgton Academy. Wait was a teammate of Connecticut guard Jerome Dyson.

Uncertain if he wanted to play professionally in Europe or go to college in the U.S. and develop his game in hopes of playing in the NBA, Wait enrolled at Gran Canaria Basketball Academy in Spain. The skilled big man, who would not have been available if he played on the AAU circuit, began garnering a lot of attention.

When Wait seemed headed to playing professionally in Europe, several schools backed away, but St. John's kept the recruiting process active. He visited St. John's recently and decided he'd have a chance to develop, as did former St. John's players Lamont Hamilton and Qa'raan Calhoun.

"He's got to work on his upper body strength, but he's a skilled big man who can score," said St. John's coach Norm Roberts.

"We have a post player in Dele Coker who's really strong and is looking to learn to score, and now we have a post player who has a nice scoring touch. He can pass the ball, like most European players, and he wants to develop his upper body strength."

lenn.robbins@nypost.com

p.s. - Calhoun? Robbins is a nice person..  :D .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2008, 12:17:07 PM »
I am sorry but it's impossible for me to get excited about this signing.  With this staff's track record, to me, this is just another scramble to sign a player to fill a roster spot this incompetant bunch of "coaches" were unable to fill during the season.
If I read another "steal" or "diamond in the rough" post i am going to throw my breakfast up because it shows what a bunch of cheerleaders and unknowledgeable "fans" you guys are.

MAJOR <HAND WAVE> to this signing!!

I've decided to do my own smite counter...

HTGS
smite -1

take that and like it ;D
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!