Donald Williams - SF - Progressive Christian - Temple Hills, MD. - KENTUCKY

• 87 replies

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
Two Big East Offers For Williams

May 30, 2008

by Jerry Meyer, Rivals.com

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=812871

With schools still scouring the 2008 ranks for available prospects, a productive spring has produced a couple Big East offers for Donald Williams.

Williams is a physical scorer.

A 6-foot-4, 185-pound guard from Temple Hills (Md.) Progressive Christian School, Williams has picked up offers from Marquette and St. John's since his Most Outstanding Player performance in the Select Division of the Tournament of Champions.

"I have high interest in Marquette and St. John's," said Williams. "I'm in the process of setting up a visit with St. John's for hopefully early next week, and then a visit with Marquette right after that."

Williams spoke further about why these two schools are at the top of his list which also includes UAB (offer), East Carolina and New Orleans (offer).

"With St. John's I like the atmosphere of New York City, and it would be cool to play in Madison Square Garden."

Here is a scout article on him from '06 :

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=544718&nid=2642626&fhn=1

Donald Williams (SF, Baton Rouge, LA) - The Southern Lab product possesses a very solid all around game. He does not do anything flashy. He just gets the job done.

Williams was measured in at 6' 7", 200 at the OM Elite 11 camp.

Donald was named 1st Team All-district and State (1A) after helping Southern Lab to the '06 State Championship.

He averaged 24 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 assists for the year.

Williams has a knack for knowing where the ball is going after it hits the rim. He is very quick for a man his size and possesses a nice touch around the basket. He will have to work on his open court skills for the next level, but he has the athleticism and body to make it happen on the next level.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=75#s=75&f=1043&t=2529778

New Orleans Jazz wing Donald Williams was named Most Outstanding Player of the Select Division of the 17 and under division. The 6-foot-5 prep school guard averaged a hair under 23 points a game.

"He was the best player we played against all weekend," said one AAU coach that tried to slow down Williams in North Carolina. "He's really good. People need to know about him."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=811797

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:26:56 PM by kjd01067 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Re: Donald Williams - SF - Progressive Christian - Temple Hills, MD.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »
I dont know how good this kid really is,
but scout has him listed as 2 stars.

I would pass & hold scholly for 2009, or for an impact (4 star) player
Now with Stith & Wait, we have only 2 for 09 if all stay

Is he better than Kilpatrick, DJ or Quincy Roberts ?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:11:15 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:20:35 PM »
Don't know much about this kid either except for the fact he was named MVP at Bob Gibbons TOC recently. Which is pretty darn impressive. Dave Telep from scout posted recently that he is a very "hot commodity" right now.  And frankly the amount of stars he has in front of his name means nothing at this point. Because he just outplayed a bunch of "4 and 5 star" recruits on the hardwood. IMO, if we can land this kid we have to go for it.... But like u said, i would have no problem holding onto that 'ship for '09 as well. Should be interesting.

Here is what a poster named "jucoguru" on the scout board had to say about him :

"We have played against him twice this spring (once with Brandon Bass Elite and once in TOC with New Orleans Jazz), and Donald is a very good player. He is around 6'5 (def not 6'7) and very versatile and skilled, with a good body and athletic... He was very quiet when we played him the first time around, and then had around 24 in their loss to us in TOC..."

"In the two games I saw Donald, he was an okay outside shooter. I'm far from an expert on him since I've only seen him twice, but he was a much better slasher and scorer than he was a shooter."

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:21:57 PM »
Per Zagsblog http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/06/williams-coach.html:

If Donald Williams' coach has his way, the 6-foot-5 shooting guard will go to St. John's and not Marquette.

"I would rather him sign with St. John's because they need him more than Marquette does," Russell Branch of Temple Hills (Md.) Progressive Christian School said Wednesday by phone. "The better fit would be St. John's because of more playing time for the kid."

Williams is currently visiting St. John's, Branch said, and will then travel to see Marquette next week. Despite offers from other schools (UAB and New Orleans), Branch said Williams will choose between the two Big East schools.

"It's between St. John's and Marquette," Branch said.

Branch compared Williams to Ray Allen and Wally Szczerbiak, adding that Williams averaged 19 points, 7 rebounds and 2 steals last year as Progressive Christian went 42-7.

"He's very athletic," Branch said. "He could put it on the floor better than Wally Szczerbiak. He can shoot the (stuff) out of the ball. He can help St. John's."

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:28:29 PM »
Has anyone seen this guy play? HOLD THE 'SHIP, ROBERTS, HOLD THE SHIP!

Or, hell, use it.  That way when 2 players transfer (and this year it seems like every team has someone who's not getting the playing time they thought) the team will have some players behind them.

Randomhero423

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »
we need a shooter.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »
This kid got mo diffrent height sizes than Eric King, yo.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:37:01 AM »
http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/06/williams-enjoyi.html

Williams Enjoying St. John's
Donald Williams will finish up his St. John's visit today and so far he's really enjoying it.

"St. John's is a great campus, great people, wonderful environment," the 6-foot-5, 210-pound Williams said Thursday by phone. "They really made me feel welcome."

Williams, 19, is a Baton Rouge, La. native who is in his final season at Temple Hills (Md.) Progressive Christian Academy. He plans to visit Marquette the week after next, not next week as originally reported. Williams said he will then likely decide between St. John's and Marquette, although several other schools are also in the mix.

"Pretty much, that's how it's looking right now," Williams said of the Johnnies and Marquette.

Reached by phone, Williams' AAU coach, Tony Tate of the New Orleans Jazz, said Oklahoma State, UAB and Marshall were also making a late push and that Williams might take one more visit to one of those schools.

Asked when a final decision would be made, Tate said, "In two weeks."

Progressive Christian coach Russell Branch said Williams compares to Ray Allen of the Celtics and Tate was also very complimentary.

"He's very athletic," the coach said. "He's very strong, runs the floor like a deer, gets off the floor real high. He has a mid-range game, shoots the deep three ball and gets to the basket to score. Defensively, he's very long and athletic and can defend on the perimeter."

Tate said Williams didn't qualify out of Southern Lab High in Baton Rouge, and prepped at Progressive Christian, where he is now qualified.

"He's a great kid," Tate said. "That' sa rare find and one who can play. He can really get after it."

Williams is making his first visit to New York City but said he is friendly with Anthony Mason Jr. and Justin Burrell of St. John's.

"Me and Anthony Mason, I really like him," Williams said. "He's a real cool dude. And Justin Burrell is a real cool dude."

He added: "The players are real good guys and I fit in pretty well with them. We got good chemistry. We get along real well."

And what does Coach Norm Roberts think of Williams?

"They said they really like me as a player," Wililams said. "They love my personality."

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:42:15 AM »
either the staff thinks this kid is really good or they don't like their chances with the local 2009 class.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:43:13 AM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »
either the staff thinks this kid is really good or they don't like their chances with the local 2009 class.

Maybe the local 2009 class is too expen$ive

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »
They need to win now.  Sooner than later.  Even if Monsach and the administration would keep the staff on, they can't wait till next year to bring in talent.

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 12:47:39 PM »

Maybe the local 2009 class is too expen$ive

so you now think the entire 2009 class, locally, is looking to get paid...   

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 12:52:08 PM »
From ESPN:

• Six-foot-6 Donald Williams, the 17-Under Select MVP, was one of the major surprise players this past weekend, leading his New Orleans Jazz team to the 17-Under Select championship. Williams finished in the top 10 in scoring and was No. 1 in made field goals with 55 in six games. He uses his extraordinary athleticism to slash to the rim and finish in traffic. Williams will need to improve his perimeter stroke to reach his full potential at the next level. However, he is a definite high-major college prospect with a bright future.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 03:00:35 PM »
http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/06/williams-enjoyi.html

Williams Enjoying St. John's
Donald Williams will finish up his St. John's visit today and so far he's really enjoying it.

"St. John's is a great campus, great people, wonderful environment," the 6-foot-5, 210-pound Williams said Thursday by phone. "They really made me feel welcome."

Williams, 19, is a Baton Rouge, La. native who is in his final season at Temple Hills (Md.) Progressive Christian Academy. He plans to visit Marquette the week after next, not next week as originally reported. Williams said he will then likely decide between St. John's and Marquette, although several other schools are also in the mix.

"Pretty much, that's how it's looking right now," Williams said of the Johnnies and Marquette.

Reached by phone, Williams' AAU coach, Tony Tate of the New Orleans Jazz, said Oklahoma State, UAB and Marshall were also making a late push and that Williams might take one more visit to one of those schools.

Asked when a final decision would be made, Tate said, "In two weeks."

Progressive Christian coach Russell Branch said Williams compares to Ray Allen of the Celtics and Tate was also very complimentary.

"He's very athletic," the coach said. "He's very strong, runs the floor like a deer, gets off the floor real high. He has a mid-range game, shoots the deep three ball and gets to the basket to score. Defensively, he's very long and athletic and can defend on the perimeter."

Tate said Williams didn't qualify out of Southern Lab High in Baton Rouge, and prepped at Progressive Christian, where he is now qualified.

"He's a great kid," Tate said. "That' sa rare find and one who can play. He can really get after it."

Williams is making his first visit to New York City but said he is friendly with Anthony Mason Jr. and Justin Burrell of St. John's.

"Me and Anthony Mason, I really like him," Williams said. "He's a real cool dude. And Justin Burrell is a real cool dude."

He added: "The players are real good guys and I fit in pretty well with them. We got good chemistry. We get along real well."

And what does Coach Norm Roberts think of Williams?

"They said they really like me as a player," Wililams said. "They love my personality."

Sounds like we made a great impression on this kid. Hopefully we can get a commitment from him TODAY before he makes anymore visits..  ;D .. btw - a friend of mine saw him on campus & said he was a legit 6'5.... lock him up norm!

p.s. - Let's GO Redmen!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:05:02 PM by oldred10 »

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
an older rivals article...

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=799390

"On the perimeter Donald Williams had a superb game as he matched the production of Crandall Head. Williams' physical style of ball and reliable shooting resembles Maryland commitment Sean Mosley's game although Williams is more of a primary ball handler. Planning to sing during the spring period, Williams claims offers from Southern Miss and Chattanooga and is trying to play his way into offers from Florida State and Mississippi State amongst others."
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 07:03:59 PM »
Norm and his staff are on a decent roll. I would love to see them lock this kid up also. Mason and Burrell may be the difference in locking him up. Time will tell. I liked last years in coming class and if we can lock this kid up I will be happy with this years class. This would be something to build on. Now the million dollar question is - How will Norm coach/sub/develop/and keep the talent.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
I'd rather hold this last scholly off til 2009
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »
Unless Williams is better than DJ or Q Roberts I would hold the scholly too

We already have at the 2&3 for 2008

Mase
R Thomas (3/4)
DJ
Horne
Q Roberts
Edmondson (1/2)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 04:40:53 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »
a team that could only beat cream puffs on the way to an eleven win season can't afford to "hold" anything.

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 03:34:14 PM »
a team that could only beat cream puffs on the way to an eleven win season can't afford to "hold" anything.

Not if we're overstocked at the position. As I said- only if he is better than those here
Molloy '71