Donald Williams - SF - Progressive Christian - Temple Hills, MD. - KENTUCKY

• 87 replies

pmg911

Re: Donald Williams - SF - Progressive Christian - Temple Hills, MD.
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2008, 07:04:58 PM »
right now, the program sucks a big elephant johnson.  how that passes for "good shape" is beyond me.      

This has to be up POST OF THE YEAR..

Well said Krusty..

pmg911

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2008, 07:10:15 PM »
The staff had the same thoughts about 2008 class too...

No they did not, dont know where you get this from.
Everyone knows all eggs were in the SL basket with the one ship we had at the time.

First..  they thought they had Kemba Walker locked up and then Calhoun swooped and and changed that...

Go back two years and this staff thought they were in VERY good shape with this kids that have just graduated in 2008...  that might have changed as signing period got closer but at one time they thought they had real chance to land a couple of kids from the 2008 class..

In all honestly...  Norm is the worst recruiter in the conference..   his record speaks for itself...  you can't say Keno Davis is worse because he has yet to have a chance to prove himself...

Norm Roberts has failed EVERY step of the way on the recruiting front at St. John's...

I have said it before and will say it again until it happens..

He has failed to land EVERY SINGLE primary recruiting target since he started..   that speaks volumes about his ability to recruit...

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2008, 07:21:55 PM »
The staff had the same thoughts about 2008 class too...

No they did not, dont know where you get this from.
Everyone knows all eggs were in the SL basket with the one ship we had at the time.

First..  they thought they had Kemba Walker locked up and then Calhoun swooped and and changed that...

Go back two years and this staff thought they were in VERY good shape with this kids that have just graduated in 2008...  that might have changed as signing period got closer but at one time they thought they had real chance to land a couple of kids from the 2008 class..

In all honestly...  Norm is the worst recruiter in the conference..   his record speaks for itself...  you can't say Keno Davis is worse because he has yet to have a chance to prove himself...

Norm Roberts has failed EVERY step of the way on the recruiting front at St. John's...

I have said it before and will say it again until it happens..

He has failed to land EVERY SINGLE primary recruiting target since he started..   that speaks volumes about his ability to recruit...
He has spoken

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2008, 07:36:15 PM »
this is what you posted on june 21st...

"You dont have to rethink , we are in good shape with the class of 2009 and Norm will in all probability hold the ship."

yes, in respect of the class of 2009. The staff believes they are in good shape with that class, and would rather hold the ship than use it on Williams, but I was not referring to the program as a whole.
11 wins in the 4th year of the rebuilding project is not what anyone would have projected when Norm signed on board  4 plus years ago.

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2008, 08:19:03 PM »
This reminds me of Rasheed Wallace saying to the media when he guaranteed victory...."What am I supposed to think we're not supposed to win?"

Of course the coaching staff thinks we're in good shape. We were in good shape for 2008 too. Everything that could have went wrong did. This stuff happens however to have it happen habitually is another story. Some people's patience on the matter varies from others(see above) but fact of the matter is the staff has to redeem themselves in 2009 and I personally feel they have put themselves into a better position than they have in years past. The end result may very well be the same however I think we do have a better chance at bringing in some high quality guys than we've had in years past.

I think the passing of Donald Williams was the right move and I've been saying it from day 1 when I first heard the report we were in pursuit of him. Unless he was the "next Aay Allen" then we should have brought him in otherwise it was wise to pass due to amount of guards on next year's roster, recruits brought in prior to him had certain expectations(See Mike Cavataio), and the balancing of scholarship distribution.

The signing of Malik Stith is a solid move as well. You can use him as a selling point to potential prospects as him being in the class. Before any of you jump all over my back for this statement, yes there are better recruits to be selling points, but if Malik does well at Bridgeton and if Bridgeton continues their success in the preps then he will gain more notoriety(See Justin Burrell). Malik Stith was one of those players who we've gotten at the end of the period where as its not a bad idea to get a guy like this in the beginning. Last year we had an unknown team and no recruits signed....how does that look in the mind of a 2008 recruit? For 2009 we have Malik Stith, a promising young core, and new facilities which bring a respectable level of optimism to give a recruit. Sure we're in the tunnel but there is a glimmer of light.

I also don't feel that Norm is the worst recruiter in the Big East. Cronin, Wainwright, Heath, and Gonzo are better? I'm not buying into that. Also I'm curious to see what Keno Davis or Buzz Williams do in their first few seasons. Being on this list however is something I wish we were clearly head and shoulders above.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »
The signing of Malik Stith is a solid move as well. You can use him as a selling point to potential prospects as him being in the class. Before any of you jump all over my back for this statement, yes there are better recruits to be selling points, but if Malik does well at Bridgeton and if Bridgeton continues their success in the preps then he will gain more notoriety(See Justin Burrell). Malik Stith was one of those players who we've gotten at the end of the period where as its not a bad idea to get a guy like this in the beginning. Last year we had an unknown team and no recruits signed....how does that look in the mind of a 2008 recruit? For 2009 we have Malik Stith, a promising young core, and new facilities which bring a respectable level of optimism to give a recruit. Sure we're in the tunnel but there is a glimmer of light.

I also don't feel that Norm is the worst recruiter in the Big East. Cronin, Wainwright, Heath, and Gonzo are better? I'm not buying into that. Also I'm curious to see what Keno Davis or Buzz Williams do in their first few seasons. Being on this list however is something I wish we were clearly head and shoulders above.
It's Bridgton.
-Burrell had a good final year at Bridgton and how much of a "selling point" did that prove to be to any meaningful (top 25-50) recruit?
-"Promising young core" On our thirteen man roster, other than Burrell and maybe Kennedy, who would look young and promising to fans of a winning program, like Texas, Illinois, or Washington?
-Wainwright, Heath, and Cronin have proven to be better recruiters as head coaches than Norm Roberts. In fairness to him, maybe it's easier to sell those schools at this point in time.

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2008, 09:16:21 PM »
Next recruitin class is always the pivotal one whether you UNC, UCLA, St. John or St. Francis. The game is 24/7/365 and it the lifeblood of the biz. It alway a biz. Nothin personal.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2008, 10:56:19 PM »

It's Bridgton.
-Burrell had a good final year at Bridgton and how much of a "selling point" did that prove to be to any meaningful (top 25-50) recruit?
-"Promising young core" On our thirteen man roster, other than Burrell and maybe Kennedy, who would look young and promising to fans of a winning program, like Texas, Illinois, or Washington?
-Wainwright, Heath, and Cronin have proven to be better recruiters as head coaches than Norm Roberts. In fairness to him, maybe it's easier to sell those schools at this point in time.

Spellchecker caught me on Bridgton.

Promising. I like Paris Horne a lot. I thought he deserved more time than Kennedy at times last season. I like Boothe a lot as well sure he has his shortcomings but he is a fast pass first pg which is something I like. I also like Sean Evans he was doing pretty well last season and he didn't have a clue or a jumpshot with some polishing he could turn out alright. I think Dele is the anchor of the class but with his size and strength alone he can prove worthy and we are harsh critics because a lot of schools like you mentioned above can afford to take guys like Dele and have them wait a season or 2 before they are actually contributors where as we needed him to step in right away. Rob Thomas is the wild card and anything out of him is promising because I'm not relying or counting on him for anything.

I think rankings of highschool recruits is so overrated. I've seen top 100 recruits who have been terrible and I've seen kids not in the top 300 make the NBA.

I think a lot of our team's success will stem from the team creating an identity, becoming more cohesive, and creating chemistry. We're returning more scholarship players than (I think) we ever have before and hopefully we see maturity and growth in everyone's individual games as well as playing together as a unit. I think we have more potential to see an uptempo team.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »

"You dont have to rethink , we are in good shape with the class of 2009 and Norm will in all probability hold the ship."

yes, in respect of the class of 2009. The staff believes they are in good shape with that class, and would rather hold the ship than use it on Williams, but I was not referring to the program as a whole.
11 wins in the 4th year of the rebuilding project is not what anyone would have projected when Norm signed on board  4 plus years ago.

this is exactly why the staff has to be fired.  we're coming off an eleven win season...sign one three star player for 09 and the staff thinks we're ready to compete.

what's worse, they have people going on these sites to sell this to us.

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2008, 10:19:59 PM »

this is exactly why the staff has to be fired.  we're coming off an eleven win season...sign one three star player for 09 and the staff thinks we're ready to compete.

I dont believe I said the staff thinks we're ready to compete did i ?
Again, I said they believe they are in good shape with the class of 2009 and would rather hold the remaining ship they have for 2009.
And who are these people on the sites ?
Are you referring to yours truly ?

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2008, 11:20:04 PM »

Again, I said they believe they are in good shape with the class of 2009 and would rather hold the remaining ship they have for 2009.

in all honesty, i feel you're among those who feel compelled to sell the mediocrity.

in year five, you admit the staff doesn't think we're ready to compete.  we sign a three star player for 09 and you say the staff believes we're in good shape.  to follow the logic, not ready to compete equates with being in good shape.

i must be missing something here. 

pmg911

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2008, 07:19:29 AM »

in all honesty, i feel you're among those who feel compelled to sell the mediocrity.

in year five, you admit the staff doesn't think we're ready to compete.  we sign a three star player for 09 and you say the staff believes we're in good shape.  to follow the logic, not ready to compete equates with being in good shape.

you are not missing anything...

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2008, 11:03:06 AM »
This reminds me of Rasheed Wallace saying to the media when he guaranteed victory...."What am I supposed to think we're not supposed to win?"

Of course the coaching staff thinks we're in good shape. We were in good shape for 2008 too. Everything that could have went wrong did. This stuff happens however to have it happen habitually is another story. Some people's patience on the matter varies from others(see above) but fact of the matter is the staff has to redeem themselves in 2009 and I personally feel they have put themselves into a better position than they have in years past. The end result may very well be the same however I think we do have a better chance at bringing in some high quality guys than we've had in years past.

I think the passing of Donald Williams was the right move and I've been saying it from day 1 when I first heard the report we were in pursuit of him. Unless he was the "next Aay Allen" then we should have brought him in otherwise it was wise to pass due to amount of guards on next year's roster, recruits brought in prior to him had certain expectations(See Mike Cavataio), and the balancing of scholarship distribution.

While I am not a big fan of NR's coaching or "rotation calls", I have to agree with JJ that the recruiting has been getting better. Even though I know the program is not anywhere where all of us want it to be... You can't say NR isn't trying to upgrade the program overall (better talent (mariginally so far), push for better facilities, etc).

Poison

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »

While I am not a big fan of NR's coaching or "rotation calls", I have to agree with JJ that the recruiting has been getting better. Even though I know the program is not anywhere where all of us want it to be... You can't say NR isn't trying to upgrade the program overall (better talent (mariginally so far), push for better facilities, etc).

He's been trying. Is the team better than they were when Hill, Jackson, Lawrence, Hamilton and Missere were our five?
Last year, they really weren't.

I think you need a coach who really has to try to make them worse for that to actually happen, and Roberts found a way.
Recruiting kids that were lazy like Torres, kids that were shady like Kitchen, and kids that were greedy like Patterson.

He's made plenty of errors in judgement, and we're living with a coach who's clearly learning on the job.

Only what has he learned so far? That he has to kick kids out every year?

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2008, 03:05:27 AM »

The Canadian thinks Norm Roberts is in "good shape" with the 2009 recruiting class.

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Please reread my posts on this topic and dont distort what I wrote.
Where did I write the staff doesnt think we are ready to compete ?
I wrote that they are not extending an offer to Williams who is in the class of 2008 as they believe they are in good shape with the class of 2009 and would rather use the ship in 2009.
Lets please stay on topic which is DW and was he offered , was the offer withdrawn and the reasons behind the offer being withdrawn.
If competing means competing in the recruiting wars for the local class of 2009 then the staff does feel they can compete for this class. 

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »

The Canadian thinks Norm Roberts is in "good shape" with the 2009 recruiting class.

Your point being ?????

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2008, 05:20:45 AM »

I wrote that they are not extending an offer to Williams who is in the class of 2008 as they believe they are in good shape with the class of 2009 and would rather use the ship in 2009.
Lets please stay on topic which is DW and was he offered , was the offer withdrawn and the reasons behind the offer being withdrawn.
If competing means competing in the recruiting wars for the local class of 2009 then the staff does feel they can compete for this class. 
this is what you wrote a couple of days ago..."I dont believe I said the staff thinks we're ready to compete did i ?"  it's implicit in this quote that you believe the staff doesn't think we're ready to compete. 
it's far fetched to think we're in good shape and it's far fetched to believe we're competing for recruits when we're not even on one single five star player's radar.  and don't mention lance.  he's not going to college.

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »

this is what you wrote a couple of days ago..."I dont believe I said the staff thinks we're ready to compete did i ?"  it's implicit in this quote that you believe the staff doesn't think we're ready to compete. 
it's far fetched to think we're in good shape and it's far fetched to believe we're competing for recruits when we're not even on one single five star player's radar.  and don't mention lance.  he's not going to college.

I guess that means Lance is going to Memphi$