Marlon Jones-PF-Orr Chicago, IL - LOYOLA

• 105 replies
Re: Marlon Jones-PF-Orr Chicago, IL
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 09:50:22 PM »
But as first year players and freshman will they have a clue on defense or always be out of position and we get killed inside. Realize there are no other options and agree about the rebounding because lord knows we will miss a lot of shots. We could use a wing that could actually shoot.

DFF6

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 09:57:10 PM »
But as first year players and freshman will they have a clue on defense or always be out of position and we get killed inside. Realize there are no other options and agree about the rebounding because lord knows we will miss a lot of shots. We could use a wing that could actually shoot.

Couldn't you apply your post to the cast of characters that we just had???? 

SJUFAN

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »
Kid doesn't look no where near 6' 9".

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 10:39:16 PM »
I mean look where all these "highly rated" recruits have gotten us. Nowhere. Add some hustlers and bangers that go after the ball like they're thirsty for it to the Harrison, Jordan, Branch (maybe Greene) backcourt and things could be worse.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »

Hey man, stay positive. Hammer to rock. If Lavin is recruiting this kid, clearly it's because he sees something in him that he didn't see in Obekpa and Sampson.

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »

Hey man, stay positive. Hammer to rock. If Lavin is recruiting this kid, clearly it's because he sees something in him that he didn't see in Obekpa and Sampson.

http://youtu.be/V-IgnzwUV04

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
This kid apparently had recruitment fall off due to foot injury but it has come on lately.  Just had. 24/14 game 2 days ago.  Looks like a good fit.  With jones and Thomas, not sure what we would have but it seems these kids are a bit tougher rebounders than we've had.  I like how he has a jumpshot out to 15' or so.  We desperately need all these guys like Delarosa, Jones and Thomas.

If we sign up say, four to five aggressive hard nosed rebounders this offseason - and two them stick, in the sense that two of them are net positives when they are on the floor, maybe that can be enough if our guard play is consistent enough next year.      Maybe that'll be enough... that's a big maybe, but that's the best we can hope for at this point.   

+1
we have as good a back court as any team in the bigeast. Ive already said how I feel about Christian Jones, if we can get a couple guys to come in and bang bodies and rebound while not killing the team with dumb mistakes then I think we can be successful.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »
This kid apparently had recruitment fall off due to foot injury but it has come on lately.  Just had. 24/14 game 2 days ago.  Looks like a good fit.  With jones and Thomas, not sure what we would have but it seems these kids are a bit tougher rebounders than we've had.  I like how he has a jumpshot out to 15' or so.  We desperately need all these guys like Delarosa, Jones and Thomas.

If we sign up say, four to five aggressive hard nosed rebounders this offseason - and two them stick, in the sense that two of them are net positives when they are on the floor, maybe that can be enough if our guard play is consistent enough next year.      Maybe that'll be enough... that's a big maybe, but that's the best we can hope for at this point.   

+1
we have as good a back court as any team in the bigeast. Ive already said how I feel about Christian Jones, if we can get a couple guys to come in and bang bodies and rebound while not killing the team with dumb mistakes then I think we can be successful.

And that is the problem. Even if the projects we go after pan out, it is still asking a lot for them to perform at a high enough level to give us a chance next year. I don't think we have one rebounder returning other than DLo. Pointer is a child, and Jones thinks he's a guard.

I'm hoping that the staff has worked w Chris on his game, and that he's toughened up, but we have no way of knowing if that's the case. I see an unbelievable amount of laziness on their part in terms of developing players. Only Greene, Obekpa, Harrison and Sampson have improved, and their improvement has been barely noticeable.

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 11:04:10 PM »
I just hope we can find players that play hard for 40 minutes and have heart in big situations.

I agree with your sentiment, but it's not always practical at this level.  I'm with you guys that this team needs hard working, gritty players.  However, you have to have a good mix of players on your roster.  Otherwise, your front court essentially consists of Curtis Johnson, Phil Missere, and Dexter Gray.

Anybody who would be satisfied with a class of the ADR, Keith Thomas, and Marlon Jones has really lowered their expectations for this program.  I'm not saying any of these guys are bad players.  What I am saying is that they are probably not as polished as some of the higher ranked players out there.  And let's be honest, Lavin needs as much help as he can get.  Developing players isn't exactly his forte.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 11:09:40 PM »
6'9" forward from Orr high school visiting soon.  Very athletic kid with good hands.  Videos look good.   

I have to disagree here.  I love the rebounding, but he's off balance on offense throughout the video.  He looks really uncoordinated and I'm not sure what athleticism you see.

This is really one of the worst highlight videos I've ever seen.  I see no reason why we would need both him and Thomas.   Then again, after the Sampson debacle, I just want to stockpile bulldogs and this kids rebounds were awesome.  I never want a finesse four again.

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 11:11:34 PM »

Couldn't you apply your post to the cast of characters that we just had???? 
Yes. But these guys will have even less experience and Lavin isn't exactly Robert Montgomery Knight when it comes to teaching D.

Chilleb

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »
Fighting with Tulane and Loyola for a recruit?
loyola just landed  guard better than phil greene today, his name is andre walker

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »
6'9" forward from Orr high school visiting soon.  Very athletic kid with good hands.  Videos look good.   

I have to disagree here.  I love the rebounding, but he's off balance on offense throughout the video.  He looks really uncoordinated and I'm not sure what athleticism you see.

This is really one of the worst highlight videos I've ever seen.  I see no reason why we would need both him and Thomas.   Then again, after the Sampson debacle, I just want to stockpile bulldogs and this kids rebounds were awesome.  I never want a finesse four again.

You don't see any athleticism with him skying for blocks and boards?  C'mon now Marillac.  Kid is 6'9, runs the court well.  His rebounding is the best part though.  I want both this kid and Thomas.  I don't want guys like Tyler Harris destroying us on the boards again.  We need tougher players, period.

QuanMan

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 12:55:43 AM »
The program day by day is getting healthier. We're going to surround our elite backcourt with traditional big men, and elite rebounders. Keep on doubting Lavs and the staff people, the rumors and negativity with this forum has been embarrassing for a month, everyone needs to get a grip, and finally realize that a plan has been in place this entire Spring.
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 01:05:31 AM »
The program day by day is getting healthier. We're going to surround our elite backcourt with traditional big men, and elite rebounders. Keep on doubting Lavs and the staff people, the rumors and negativity with this forum has been embarrassing for a month, everyone needs to get a grip, and finally realize that a plan has been in place this entire Spring.

So the plan was to replace a BE rookie of the year and one of the best rim protectors in school history with a guy that won't be able to play more than 10 minutes a game next year, a JuCo kid, and a kid that is only getting looks from Tulane and Loyola? Thats a pretty crappy plan

QuanMan

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 01:23:33 AM »
There are only so many insiders within this forum.

Everyone else is merely guessing at what the staff might do, while the real insiders keep their mouths shut, like they should.

Tony, Rico and Whitesell are reputable coaches who have excelled in D1 college basketball and the NBA for years, (Whitesell and Rico, decades).

Do you not think they haven't known Max was on track to graduate, Jak was a 21 year old sophomore who wanted to get paid, and Obekpa was mutually leaving the program?

It's been common knowledge that Obekpa was a malcontent since he got here, that negative presence has left the locker room. Jakarr is a great kid, and is going to represent the University well in the professional ranks, globally or in the pros. All you need is one scout to like you. However, the ball movement has now opened up with him gone. No longer will the top of the key be clogged with his jump shooting.

Sheed, Dee and Phil are going to have real freedom next year. Sir is going to be one of the best defenders and athletes in the country, yet again. Now we're adding muscle, and true rebounding presence down low with traditional big men, yet people still whine around here.

Every rotation player has been rumored to leave this team this offseason with the exception of Dom and Jamal, seriously think about that, and how ridiculously inaccurate that is.

Maryland had 3 very talented rotation players all transfer yesterday, that's a bad situation. We had a bad seed transfer out, 4 students graduate, and one leave to play professionally. It's not a sinking ship.

The gossip and negativity in this forum is embarrassing. I'm a Lavin believer, have at it sharks.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:26:13 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 01:27:44 AM »

Everyone else is merely guessing at what the staff might do, while the real insiders keep their mouths shut, like they should.

Tony, Rico and Whitesell are reputable coaches who have excelled in high division D1 college basketball and the NBA for years, (Whitesell and Rico, decades).

Do you not think they haven't known Max was on track to graduate, Jak was a 21 year old sophomore who wanted to get paid, and Obekpa was getting shown the door once the season ended?

It's been common knowledge that Obekpa was a malcontent since he got here, that negative presence has left the locker room. Jakarr is a great kid, and is going to represent the University well in the professional ranks, globally or in the pros. All you need is one scout to like you. However, the ball movement has now opened up with him gone. No longer will the top of the key be clogged with his jump shooting.

Sheed, Dee and Phil are going to have real freedom next year. Sir is going to be one of the best defenders and athletes in the country, yet again. Now we're adding muscle, and true rebounding presence down low with traditional big men, yet people still whine around here.

Every rotation player has been rumored to leave this team this offseason with the exception of Dom and Jamal, seriously think about that, and how ridiculously inaccurate that is.

Maryland had 3 very talented rotation players all transfer yesterday, that's a bad situation. We had a bad seed transfer out, 4 students graduate, and one leaving to play professionally. It's not a sinking ship.

The gossip and negativity in this forum is embarrassing.

We still haven't addressed two of our biggest problems: We don't have a true shooter and we don't have a head coach that knows anything about basketball. You can call it negativity, but I call it facts

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2014, 06:39:34 AM »

Tony, Rico and Whitesell are reputable coaches who have excelled in D1 college basketball and the NBA for years, (Whitesell and Rico, decades).

Do you not think they haven't known Max was on track to graduate, Jak was a 21 year old sophomore who wanted to get paid, and Obekpa was mutually leaving the program?

Maryland had 3 very talented rotation players all transfer yesterday, that's a bad situation. We had a bad seed transfer out, 4 students graduate, and one leave to play professionally. It's not a sinking ship.

The gossip and negativity in this forum is embarrassing. I'm a Lavin believer, have at it sharks.

Sir dom one of the best defenders in the country yet again? Thats the most ridiculous rumor posted all off season.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »

Qua man, it's not embarrassing.  Embarrassing is the egg that they laid this year, and then giving up in the NIT.  You will be hard pressed to find many on these forums that will give much slack, because we aren't landing top notch players in the frontcourt.  I'm not saying they won't be good, but with so many ships, many fans expect to land a too 100 or two, not take flyers on late bloomers.  These kids may very well be the goods, but with the disappointment we have seen this season, and our frontcourt being decimated, we expected to be involved with some big players in the 2014' class, not playing catch-up. 

We still desperately need a real wing player, even if we land. Jones ans Thomas, otherwise teams will zone us forever.  Any inside info on that?

Trone

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »

I agree with Marillac on this one, Marlons tape was very underwhelming.  He does not possess elite atheleticism and shows no real skill around the basket, he does however have an excellent motor which is great.  Thomas is iinfinitely more polished around the basket, is even more tenacious and fundamentally sound. There wasnt one shot on his tape in which he didnt box out.  Thomas is ready to make an impact next year.  Although we need bigs, it will be interesting to see if Lav addresses the guards in this cycle, if he doesnt we will be left with an equally unbalanced roster next year