Marlon Jones-PF-Orr Chicago, IL - LOYOLA

• 105 replies

Marillac

Re: Marlon Jones-PF-Orr Chicago, IL
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
6'9" forward from Orr high school visiting soon.  Very athletic kid with good hands.  Videos look good.   

I have to disagree here.  I love the rebounding, but he's off balance on offense throughout the video.  He looks really uncoordinated and I'm not sure what athleticism you see.

This is really one of the worst highlight videos I've ever seen.  I see no reason why we would need both him and Thomas.   Then again, after the Sampson debacle, I just want to stockpile bulldogs and this kids rebounds were awesome.  I never want a finesse four again.

You don't see any athleticism with him skying for blocks and boards?  C'mon now Marillac.  Kid is 6'9, runs the court well.  His rebounding is the best part though.  I want both this kid and Thomas.  I don't want guys like Tyler Harris destroying us on the boards again.  We need tougher players, period.

I didn't see any athletic ability in this video.  He doesn't have a single impressive leap.  I love the rebounding, but the kid struggles putting one foot in front of the other.

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »
6'9" forward from Orr high school visiting soon.  Very athletic kid with good hands.  Videos look good.   

I have to disagree here.  I love the rebounding, but he's off balance on offense throughout the video.  He looks really uncoordinated and I'm not sure what athleticism you see.

This is really one of the worst highlight videos I've ever seen.  I see no reason why we would need both him and Thomas.   Then again, after the Sampson debacle, I just want to stockpile bulldogs and this kids rebounds were awesome.  I never want a finesse four again.

I agree with Marillac on this one, Marlons tape was very underwhelming.  He does not possess elite atheleticism and shows no real skill around the basket, he does however have an excellent motor which is great.  Thomas is iinfinitely more polished around the basket, is even more tenacious and fundamentally sound. There wasnt one shot on his tape in which he didnt box out.  Thomas is ready to make an impact next year.  Although we need bigs, it will be interesting to see if Lav addresses the guards in this cycle, if he doesnt we will be left with an equally unbalanced roster next year

We are being mentioned with that PG from Thomas' JC.

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »
There are only so many insiders within this forum.

Everyone else is merely guessing at what the staff might do, while the real insiders keep their mouths shut, like they should.

Tony, Rico and Whitesell are reputable coaches who have excelled in D1 college basketball and the NBA for years, (Whitesell and Rico, decades).

Do you not think they haven't known Max was on track to graduate, Jak was a 21 year old sophomore who wanted to get paid, and Obekpa was mutually leaving the program?

It's been common knowledge that Obekpa was a malcontent since he got here, that negative presence has left the locker room. Jakarr is a great kid, and is going to represent the University well in the professional ranks, globally or in the pros. All you need is one scout to like you. However, the ball movement has now opened up with him gone. No longer will the top of the key be clogged with his jump shooting.

Sheed, Dee and Phil are going to have real freedom next year. Sir is going to be one of the best defenders and athletes in the country, yet again. Now we're adding muscle, and true rebounding presence down low with traditional big men, yet people still whine around here.

Every rotation player has been rumored to leave this team this offseason with the exception of Dom and Jamal, seriously think about that, and how ridiculously inaccurate that is.

Maryland had 3 very talented rotation players all transfer yesterday, that's a bad situation. We had a bad seed transfer out, 4 students graduate, and one leave to play professionally. It's not a sinking ship.

The gossip and negativity in this forum is embarrassing. I'm a Lavin believer, have at it sharks.

Sir dom one of the best defenders in the country yet again? Thats the most ridiculous rumor posted all off season.

I can't even read that nonsense anymore.  That kid better come out with a totally different game and mentality next season or he'll end up an epic bust.   

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2014, 01:27:34 PM »

Everyone else is merely guessing at what the staff might do, while the real insiders keep their mouths shut, like they should.

Tony, Rico and Whitesell are reputable coaches who have excelled in D1 college basketball and the NBA for years, (Whitesell and Rico, decades).

Do you not think they haven't known Max was on track to graduate, Jak was a 21 year old sophomore who wanted to get paid, and Obekpa was mutually leaving the program?

It's been common knowledge that Obekpa was a malcontent since he got here, that negative presence has left the locker room. Jakarr is a great kid, and is going to represent the University well in the professional ranks, globally or in the pros. All you need is one scout to like you. However, the ball movement has now opened up with him gone. No longer will the top of the key be clogged with his jump shooting.

Sheed, Dee and Phil are going to have real freedom next year. Sir is going to be one of the best defenders and athletes in the country, yet again. Now we're adding muscle, and true rebounding presence down low with traditional big men, yet people still whine around here.

Every rotation player has been rumored to leave this team this offseason with the exception of Dom and Jamal, seriously think about that, and how ridiculously inaccurate that is.

Maryland had 3 very talented rotation players all transfer yesterday, that's a bad situation. We had a bad seed transfer out, 4 students graduate, and one leave to play professionally. It's not a sinking ship.

The gossip and negativity in this forum is embarrassing. I'm a Lavin believer, have at it sharks.

Sir dom one of the best defenders in the country yet again? Thats the most ridiculous rumor posted all off season.

I can't even read that nonsense anymore.  That kid better come out with a totally different game and mentality next season or he'll end up an epic bust.   

No, nonsense is drawing broad conclusions from a 2 minute video.

derk

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
Kid has a live body, something you can't teach. He's all over the boards and looks like he can provide more energy then what I saw all last year.

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2014, 01:34:54 PM »
Lets get back to this kid.  Why does every post have to go into a Lavin post?  It's a joke.  Leave the recruit section to the actual players. 

We have 6 schollies.  Let's get some people in here.  Big men always take longer to mature.  Personally he seems like he will be someone who will give effort and can get his hands dirty.  I mean GG wasn't exactly Bill Russell.  Not saying that this kid will be Russell either but he will develop and be better than he is now.

Also, enough with these "expert" recruiting ratings.  They are all a joke after the top tier senior players.  They are at best weathermen.

Foad

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »

He's talking about Pointer. In other words, learn to read.

Tha Kid

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »
Usually when a kid is a sleeper and no high major schools have offered, there's a reason

But see Stephen Curry; Seth Curry; and many others.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »

He's talking about Pointer. In other words, learn to read.

So was I.

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
What exactly is the scholarship table looking like?  With Adonis on board and Greene staying for now, there are 5 up for grabs, right?  Assuming Joey Delarosa and Lipscomb will get ships, there are 3 open.  Does it make sense to bring in Jones AND Thomas?  I'd like to see us land one of the higher impact transfers to help bridge the gap to 2015, and wouldn't mind leaving a ship open heading into the year.

desco80

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »

It's not a sinking ship.

The gossip is right far more often than you are champ...

Dom is going to take his game to another level this year IMO. 

I seem to be in the minority, but I think that Harrison is going to be in the running for National Player of the Year.
 He's just as valuable to us as McDermott is to Creighton IMO.

November can't get here soon enough. We're on the verge of a monster season.

we have a top 25 team this year and are going to be contending deep into March.

December 15th will be the biggest day for the program in 10 years, because we are going to wax Syracuse and send them back to the border with their heads down.

This is the year that Lavin's celebrity is going to make his mark in NY. I won't be surprised to see us on the back page of the city daily's from January to March. I forsee us being a top 25 team and predict us to lose only 1 OOC game, San Fran.

I think we're going to make a statement in South Dakota and we will be a Big East juggernaut throughout the conference season, winning multiple road games.

24-7, 12-1 non conf, 12-6 BE. Sir will be BEDPOY, D and Jak will make 1st team, and I think we'll be champs. Sweet 16 in my eyes, we're loaded!

Btw...I'm not sweating 2014-15, I think the staff is letting this roster do all of the recruiting needed for them this year.

The Catholic 7 is going to reign supreme IMO, while the Midwest teams will take time to adjust

... Hi Mark

sju89tr

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »
I spoke with a guy who has seen him play in person in Chicago. Said he was decent. That;s all he said.

At this stage of the game, I would take him and Thomas in a heartbeat.

I agree with MCN, UCONN just won with a nobody front including an underachieving Daniels. We can do the same. Only thing is I don't mind taking an under recruited kid when you have a pool of 25 to choose from but when you are scarping the last few kids on the table left it really puts you in a bind 

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »
I spoke with a guy who has seen him play in person in Chicago. Said he was decent. That;s all he said.

I agree with MCN, UCONN just won with a nobody front including an underachieving Daniels. We can do the same. Only thing is I don't mind taking an under recruited kid when you have a pool of 25 to choose from but when you are scarping the last few kids on the table left it really puts you in a bind 
Did you watch any of the tournament? Daniels may have underachieved for 2 1/2 years but he was a beast in the tourney with great numbers in pts and rebs until last game. Where is that kind of frontcourt player for us? So now the model is to purposely suck in the front court? UConn may very well be an anomaly and they did have many complementary parts In senior Giffey who played great team D and hit clutch 3s, Brimoh who was a rim protector ala Opekpa who in case you haven't noticed we don't have anymore. Take this to the bank-we will not be next years UConn!

sju89tr

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »

Did you watch any of the tournament? Daniels may have underachieved for 2 1/2 years but he was a beast in the tourney with great numbers in pts and rebs until last game. Where is that kind of frontcourt player for us? So now the model is to purposely suck in the front court? UConn may very well be an anomaly and they did have many complementary parts In senior Giffey who played great team D and hit clutch 3s, Brimoh who was a rim protector ala Opekpa who in case you haven't noticed we don't have anymore. Take this to the bank-we will not be next years UConn!

No way I was suggesting that, we need a wing scorer and a few rebounders/defenders. That is a lot to ask for. We will have a hard time doing better than this year. 

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »

No way I was suggesting that, we need a wing scorer and a few rebounders/defenders. That is a lot to ask for. We will have a hard time doing better than this year. 
Gotcha 89, you are a fan who seems to get it. Agree and hope we get more help for next year.

Marillac

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »

I would only need a ten second highlight video of you to determine you can't play and you were stuffed in several lockers as a kid.

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
Marillac you should be writing for Larry David shows!

paultzman

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2014, 08:36:46 AM »
@AdamZagoria: Steve Lavin will see Marlon Jones today at Chicago Orr and Adom Jacko tomorrow in Cali

MCNPA

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2014, 05:18:44 PM »
Even if we don't address guards this year, I still think we need a wing with handle and range, unless we play 3 guards constantly which I don't really want to see us do.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:20:16 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
Usually when a kid is a sleeper and no high major schools have offered, there's a reason

But see Stephen Curry; Seth Curry; and many others.

It happens. It just happens for 7 or 8 programs per year, and we're asking to be one them in April, with 1 front court player committed to us, and he's not even signed, per academically eligible, yet.