Dominic Artis - PG - Oregon (transfer)

• 163 replies

Foad

Re: Dominic Artis, complicit in alleged rape - Oregon (transfer)
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 09:04:04 AM »
Nurideen didn't rape anyone as far as we know. True, but he clearly has emotional issues.

Good point, because committing sexual assault and suffering psychological  trauma are pretty much the same thing.

Let's give Stalin a chance. No one knows what he's really guilty of, unless you were there.

Another well thought out argument.

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
Why even talk about players who had issues after the left St. John's..?

The bottom line is that this kid should not be at St. John's....  the risk/reward is just not worth it.

As someone posted above, its reeks of desperation.

Precisely

redslope

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 10:49:49 AM »
two words on this topic--NO WAY

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »
How many years does he have left?

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:13 AM »
and we hired this coach on our staff at one point. so please stop with the high and mighty.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2013/04/kimani_young_new_u_of_m_assistant_basketball_coach_was_once_busted_with_96_pounds_of_pot.php

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 11:54:24 AM »
and we hired this coach on our staff at one point. so please stop with the high and mighty.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2013/04/kimani_young_new_u_of_m_assistant_basketball_coach_was_once_busted_with_96_pounds_of_pot.php

Kimani is a really good guy, but that hire too was a desperation move by Norm because he wasn't getting good enough recruits at the time.  Norm got fired not long thereafter. That the fate that Lavin wants?

"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »
Why even talk about players who had issues after the left St. John's..?

The bottom line is that this kid should not be at St. John's....  the risk/reward is just not worth it.

As someone posted above, its reeks of desperation.

Our incoming class has already signed one player with a record. People make mistakes. In regards to this particular situation, how do we know just involved Artis was? If this was Brandon Austin, I'd be more concerned. That kid has been booted from 2 schools in less than a year. In a way, that's impressive.
Yes, a player who pegged another teenager in the leg with a bb is about all we can withstand.  I personally would not have even wanted a sniff of Artis.

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
Jayson Williams. Ron Artest. Sharif Fordham. Grady Reynolds. Abe Keita. Elijah Ingram, Nurideen Lindsey. We're a program that should shut the F up.

Why was Nuri included in this list?  I'm just unaware of anything he's done that would cause you to compare him to an alleged rapist.

I wasn't trying to compare to him to any one person in particular. Just trying to point out that we've had our share of characters. Nurideen didn't rape anyone as far as we know. True, but he clearly has emotional issues. I brought him up because of his poor character. Point is, we loved him in the first two weeks, then we got to know him a little better.

Let's give Artis a chance. No one knows what he's really guilty of, unless you were there.

We know what he's accused of and we know he's too dirty for Oregon. If someone proves none of that stuff is true, then fine, but why put St. John's students at risk?
The cherry on the top of the rape cake is that Dotson asked her, intoxicated and all, to pay for the cab they went into after sodomozing her in the bathroom.   :uglystupid2:

SJUFAN

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 01:49:41 PM »
Good point, because committing sexual assault and suffering psychological  trauma are pretty much the same thing.

Allegedly. Which could also mean he didn't commit the assault.I don't think it would be a good idea to bring in a kid with this type of baggaged, but the evidence wasn't even sufficient enough to press charges. Lets not label the kid a rapist.
Innocent until proven guilty, so they say.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:56:07 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
So syracuse players can gang bang an asst coaches wife, and mr. wonderful jimmy b can stand up for him when he's accused of having inappropirete contact with young kids. Somehow i think a lot of these posters live in a fantasy world, i really don't think most want to admit it but there are probably things that go on in EVERY program that if you dig deep enough would make for headlines.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
Innocent until proven guilty.  I'd take what we can get at this point...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:20:18 PM by thetruth8734 »

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: I'm told the Dominic Artis visit to St John's began yesterday and is going very well. #sjubb

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: On Dominic Artis told he will take a few more visits and St John's higher ups would have to sign off on him, which has yet to happen. #sjubb

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »

Allegedly. Which could also mean he didn't commit the assault.I don't think it would be a good idea to bring in a kid with this type of baggaged, but the evidence wasn't even sufficient enough to press charges. Lets not label the kid a rapist.

If you think he was the rapist, you didn't read the article.  Artis is NOT the accused rapist.  His supposed role was that he assisted in strong-arming the woman and keeping her locked in the room as his teammate was assaulting her.

And while the charges were dropped, the evidence and smoke around the case was sufficient enough for Oregon to boot him out of school (and it ain't easy to be kicked out of Oregon) and for him to not be seriously recruited by any other high-major programs despite his talent (Cal has shown interest in him but has not offered to this point).  And as mentioned earlier, he has additional history as he was dumb enough to sell his team sneakers on eBay which is an NCAA violation.  While I think it should be completely legal by NCAA rules to profit off of your own gear, the fact that he did this publicly is just another hint as to what his decision making skills, or lack thereof, are like.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 03:24:04 PM »
Jayson Williams. Ron Artest. Sharif Fordham. Grady Reynolds. Abe Keita. Elijah Ingram, Nurideen Lindsey. We're a program that should shut the F up.

Why was Nuri included in this list?  I'm just unaware of anything he's done that would cause you to compare him to an alleged rapist.

I wasn't trying to compare to him to any one person in particular. Just trying to point out that we've had our share of characters. Nurideen didn't rape anyone as far as we know. True, but he clearly has emotional issues. I brought him up because of his poor character. Point is, we loved him in the first two weeks, then we got to know him a little better.

Let's give Artis a chance. No one knows what he's really guilty of, unless you were there.

We know what he's accused of and we know he's too dirty for Oregon. If someone proves none of that stuff is true, then fine, but why put St. John's students at risk?

One reason: Because if he'd been convicted of a crime that serious, he'd be in jail. Kind of like when Jayson Williams shot and killed a man.

Foad

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 03:47:09 PM »

I didn't say anything about anyone being a rapist. I objected to Nurideen Lindsey being compared to a rapist or to the list of former SJ players who went on to thugs and felons. I didn't comment on Artis at all.

Other than that you make your usual salient points.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »

I didn't say anything about anyone being a rapist. I objected to Nurideen Lindsey being compared to a rapist or to the list of former SJ players who went on to thugs and felons. I didn't comment on Artis at all.

Other than that you make your usual salient points.

Fair enough. A lousy comparison. Noted.

Chilleb

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
kid is a stud, sign him up. And for all you posters bashing this young man as if you were there with him in oregon when this "Alleged" incident occurred whats the girls credibility in all this? have you guys read the accounts? even her own friends admits to her being coherent and consensual. i hate gullible, take everything with a grain a salt and investigate on your own before falling prey to the headlines.  its not desperation when the kid can actually play.

desco80

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
Whether or not he committed assault that night is next to irrelevant, his actions that night show very poor judgment and evince questionable character, and this is in addition to his prior incident when he was disciplined for selling team equipment on eBay.   
Everyone can stop with the "innocent until proven guilty", this isn't a courtroom You don't need to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt for a coach to conclude that you don't have the values he's looking for. 

I say pass.  As much as I criticize him, Lavin is a good enough recruiter to find a player of similar caliber, but who conducts himself more appropriately. 

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »

Kimani is a really good guy, but that hire too was a desperation move by Norm because he wasn't getting good enough recruits at the time.  Norm got fired not long thereafter. That the fate that Lavin wants?[/quote

Yet he is now at Minn with young Pitino, does that lack desperation? in this life, if you can make a team better no matter what the past history, you sign them up. It is what it is.

AI got into Gtown with his past, right or wrong about it is about winning.

Ray Lewis-killed a man but the best middle linebacker EVER.

stop being all high and mighty folks......