Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY

• 749 replies
Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »
He's already visited Uconn.  Corrrect that this is a two team race but respectfully disagree as to edge. Heard this is getting very heated internally between kid, family and different coaching staffs( that does NOT include SJU/Uconn rather his HS coaches, Prep and AAU).  From what I heard this morning this kid is getting pulled at from every angle....its a shame because its getting nasty.  Id rather not say who's pulling for which side but the kid himself def has a preference

Sounds like a lot of baggage

« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »
He's already visited Uconn.  Corrrect that this is a two team race but respectfully disagree as to edge. Heard this is getting very heated internally between kid, family and different coaching staffs( that does NOT include SJU/Uconn rather his HS coaches, Prep and AAU).  From what I heard this morning this kid is getting pulled at from every angle....its a shame because its getting nasty.  Id rather not say who's pulling for which side but the kid himself def has a preference

Reminiscent of Jakarr Sampson - family versus Jason Smith

« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »
Meanwhile Rutgers signs a 2017 6'9 240 lb PF from Cali yesterday.

Any details ? Who did they beat out ?

Hawaii, GA Tech, and a few mid majors on both coasts. He came off a serious injury as a jr which slowed him down this past season. However he put up 8pts and 10 boards against Chino Hills (the Ball brothers school) so he's got some game. Kid's a big, physical looking specimen. 6'9-6'10.

NJHoops.com:

Rutgers landed a commitment from 6-foot-9 Myles Johnson from Poly High School in Riverside CA.

This season he helped Poly to a 22-9 record. Johnson is a 2017 recruit who will provide some inside depth for the Scarlet Knights.

Johnson also excelled in the classroom. He also had offers from Hawaii, Cal Santa Barbara, Colgate

He missed his junior season season with a broken patella

He was one of the California players nominated as McDonald's All American

I respectfully disagree Johnson going for 8 points and 10 rebounds against Chino Hills correlates to him having "game."  Now, he could turn out to be a good player, but that showing against Chino Hills doesn't say it, IMO.  He should be able to do that and more for a player with his size. 

Johnson was actually waiting for a Stanford offer, but it never came.

MCNPA

« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
Hopefully this swings our way.    Ollie won that NC with Calhoun's team and Calhoun in he shadows.  Jim Calhoun was the best college coach around... bar none.  Now that it's Ollies team I don't think they've been quite he same.  Their conference sucks too.  Hopefully we can get this one done...

QuanMan

« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
Man this is heated and we need Sid in the worst way. Have to think he'd side with his friends and family and his own preference over a one year relationship with his prep school HC.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »
Meanwhile Rutgers signs a 2017 6'9 240 lb PF from Cali yesterday.

Any details ? Who did they beat out ?

Hawaii, GA Tech, and a few mid majors on both coasts. He came off a serious injury as a jr which slowed him down this past season. However he put up 8pts and 10 boards against Chino Hills (the Ball brothers school) so he's got some game. Kid's a big, physical looking specimen. 6'9-6'10.

NJHoops.com:

Rutgers landed a commitment from 6-foot-9 Myles Johnson from Poly High School in Riverside CA.

This season he helped Poly to a 22-9 record. Johnson is a 2017 recruit who will provide some inside depth for the Scarlet Knights.

Johnson also excelled in the classroom. He also had offers from Hawaii, Cal Santa Barbara, Colgate

He missed his junior season season with a broken patella

He was one of the California players nominated as McDonald's All American

I respectfully disagree Johnson going for 8 points and 10 rebounds against Chino Hills correlates to him having "game."  Now, he could turn out to be a good player, but that showing against Chino Hills doesn't say it, IMO.  He should be able to do that and more for a player with his size. 

Johnson was actually waiting for a Stanford offer, but it never came.

Would have been a complete waste of a scholarship here.  Stop posting a big man signing with another school as if it matters here, most of them would make zero difference here even with SJU size problems.  Rutgers will be bad again next year and this kid makes no difference whether he signed with them or someone else.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:06:35 PM by fordham96 »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »
No inside info, but based off many recruiting battles we've been had in the past I'd be very surprised if he chooses SJU over UConn. Especially if it's as close as people are saying it is. If he comes I'd be pleasantly surprised, but I definitely will not get my hopes up until this staff proves they can win a close recruiting battle against a formidable program like UConn.

« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
Most kids these days have some of these issues.  Doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue them.  Nature of the beast.

paultzman

« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »
"Brewster Academy wing Sid Wilson visited St. John’s over the weekend and said it went “great.”
“They need a wing and they want to keep the good New York kids home,” said the 6-foot-7 New York native who transferred to Brewster from St. Raymond’s in The Bronx. “There is no better place than home, and no other place like NYC.”

Per Zagoria blog

Wods317

« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2017, 01:18:51 PM »
"Brewster Academy wing Sid Wilson visited St. John’s over the weekend and said it went “great.”
“They need a wing and they want to keep the good New York kids home,” said the 6-foot-7 New York native who transferred to Brewster from St. Raymond’s in The Bronx. “There is no better place than home, and no other place like NYC.”

Per Zagoria blog

Love the avatar change. Gut feeling or some info?

« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2017, 01:19:54 PM »
Hopefully good news soon, don't want to drag on

« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »
No inside info, but based off many recruiting battles we've been had in the past I'd be very surprised if he chooses SJU over UConn. Especially if it's as close as people are saying it is. If he comes I'd be pleasantly surprised, but I definitely will not get my hopes up until this staff proves they can win a close recruiting battle against a formidable program like UConn.

What, no inside info?  You were willing to bet your life savings on a gut instinct against the school you supposedly root for?

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »

What, no inside info?  You were willing to bet your life savings on a gut instinct against the school you supposedly root for?

My bad, I forgot that if you root for a school you have to be a homer and think that every recruit will come to your team. Definitely not smart to base my prediction on what has happened to St. John's hundreds of times in the past.

SJU79

« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
 Depending on your definition of "long" I suspect this won't drag out too badly

« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2017, 02:09:05 PM »

My bad, I forgot that if you root for a school you have to be a homer and think that every recruit will come to your team. Definitely not smart to base my prediction on what has happened to St. John's hundreds of times in the past.

Right that is exactly what I meant.  A real fan makes up a prediction based on an irrelevant number of so called close calls that did not go their way, creates this prediction based on bet he would never make in real life on a SJU board to get some sort of response, then gives the old, "I hope I am wrong."  As if anyone cared if he were right.

Then when called out on it gives the old response, "I am a real fan not a homer."

That is exactly what this board is missing people who contribute nothing and make predictions that have absolutely no consequence if they are right or wrong.  I know speaking only for myself, I think we need more people like that.

ras

« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »
Reading his last quotes from Zag, I am optimistic. But, we will see.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:35:05 PM by ras »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »

Right that is exactly what I meant.  A real fan makes up a prediction based on an irrelevant number of so called close calls that did not go their way, creates this prediction based on bet he would never make in real life on a SJU board to get some sort of response, then gives the old, "I hope I am wrong."  As if anyone cared if he were right.

Then when called out on it gives the old response, "I am a real fan not a homer."

That is exactly what this board is missing people who contribute nothing and make predictions that have absolutely no consequence if they are right or wrong.  I know speaking only for myself, I think we need more people like that.

Yeah we also need more people who call out on others on a fan message board for voicing their opinion.

Marillac

« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
Extremely confident with this one.

He's a really, really good shooter for a kid of his size and athletic ability.  He pairs very well with Simon.

« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »

Yeah we also need more people who call out on others on a fan message board for voicing their opinion.

Right you're a regular NYT Op Ed writer just "voicing your opinion." 

« Reply #239 on: May 15, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »

Right you're a regular NYT Op Ed writer just "voicing your opinion." 

Who urinated in your cereal today?