Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY

• 749 replies

Marillac

Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #460 on: May 22, 2017, 08:25:23 AM »
CJ was much more smooth. Sid is more like Jeremi Grant.

Dave, you're right.  Jerami Grant might be perfect comparison.  I thing Wilson has a bit more range at this point, but not quite as strong as Grant.

Stop!!!!

You don't like it?  I think it's a lot closer than Shumpert.

Jerami Grant is a freak show athletically. He is one of the best athletes in the world and that allows him to play in the NBA with less than average skills. Sid is a shooter and dunker like many kids in this era. Grant could never shoot....he didn't make a single shot his soph season. Wilson will be a kid that takes 5 treys a game or more as a soph. Shumpert was a good athlete with the same size as Sid and could really stroke it. I don't think posters understand how big the three point shot is to Sid's game.

« Reply #461 on: May 22, 2017, 08:40:17 AM »

Dave, you're right.  Jerami Grant might be perfect comparison.  I thing Wilson has a bit more range at this point, but not quite as strong as Grant.

Stop!!!!

Jerami Grant is a freak show athletically. He is one of the best athletes in the world and that allows him to play in the NBA with less than average skills. Sid is a shooter and dunker like many kids in this era. Grant could never shoot....he didn't make a single shot his soph season. Wilson will be a kid that takes 5 treys a game or more as a soph. Shumpert was a good athlete with the same size as Sid and could really stroke it. I don't think posters understand how big the three point shot is to Sid's game.

I think you are overstating his shooting and understating his athletic ability. Closer to grant than shumpert in terms of athleticism. I will bet you any amount of beers that Sid does not take 5 3's a game as a soph. That's crazy.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #462 on: May 22, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
Hey, if he's that athletic and that good of a shooter to trey range, he will have an excellent career.  Mullin can help him hone tha.

Johnny23

« Reply #463 on: May 22, 2017, 09:14:21 AM »
From Rivals:

It took a while, but St. John's got on the board in the high school class of 2017 when Bronx native Sidney Wilson committed to the Red Storm.

Wilson spent the last year at Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy and had planned to take a post graduate year and be a member of the class of 2018. However, his game took off at Brewster and there wasn't any need to hold off on a decision.

A four-star prospect who had risen all the way up to No. 58 nationally in the class of 2018, Wilson is a long and wiry wing with plus athleticism who is at his best as a slasher to the rim and transition finisher. His length and quickness will allow him to develop into a high-level defender if he wants to put in the effort to be one, and his jump shot shows promise.

Strength, or lack of it, could still be an issue for Wilson as a freshman, but his addition is a huge one for Chris Mullin and has staff. St. John's has also landed Quinnipiac transfer Mikey Dixon in this recruiting cycle.

« Reply #464 on: May 22, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »
Hell I would take Polee. Hate comparing kids before they have played a game. Everyone does it but then kid gets slaughtered for not being that guy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:14:57 AM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #465 on: May 22, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
I see a lot of Moe Harkless

Frankly, I don't see any of these players y'all have mentioned.

I recall some people claiming they saw Walter Berry in Yakwe.  I say they saw and had too many happy hour beverages or need stop with the comparisons. 

I only see Sidney Wilson.   That's it.

He looks a little like every Cuse wing. He's the kind of kid that goes to Cuse as skinny runt and does nothing his first year and a half, looks decent to end his soph year, and then shows up heavier/stronger and a killer as a junior.

He's a good pickup,  it's a little odd how people are making him out to be a star. Ponds and Simon were rated well ahead of him and Yakwe and Lovett right around him.

No one should be expecting Cj Fair. Like Dave said, he's not as polished as Fair was. I see what he means when I watch the video, but I don't think Sid is raw like Yakwe is raw. He's played as much basketball in his lifetime as we could have hoped for.

I'll one up you this time and see if you agree. He's much more than a good pickup. He's a great recruit for our program and for this staff. He is what this staff was brought here to keep here. I'd say this is a great pickup. We can show that NYC kids can win at St.John's.

Still holding out hope that we'll add a big man who can add some experience inside.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:17:56 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #466 on: May 22, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »

Stop!!!!

I think you are overstating his shooting and understating his athletic ability. Closer to grant than shumpert in terms of athleticism. I will bet you any amount of beers that Sid does not take 5 3's a game as a soph. That's crazy.

You are in for a surprise then my friend. I'll set the over under at 4 three point attempts per game and take the over. Sid is definitely more bouncy than Shumpert, but he's nowhere near that freak show Grant.  Shumpert also was more athletic before Cuse put 20 lbs on him.

I'd be ecstatic if Sid did his damage inside the three point line. He's be a scary player. And to Poison, I completely agree with your post. Sid is the type of kid you build programs with. But it takes 5-6 of him.

« Reply #467 on: May 22, 2017, 09:49:27 AM »

Stop!!!!

You are in for a surprise then my friend. I'll set the over under at 4.

Then why change the line ;)

« Reply #468 on: May 22, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »

I recall some people claiming they saw Walter Berry in Yakwe.  I say they saw and had too many happy hour beverages or need stop with the comparisons. 

He looks a little like every Cuse wing. He's the kind of kid that goes to Cuse as skinny runt and does nothing his first year and a half, looks decent to end his soph year, and then shows up heavier/stronger and a killer as a junior.

He's a good pickup,  it's a little odd how people are making him out to be a star. Ponds and Simon were rated well ahead of him and Yakwe and Lovett right around him.

No one should be expecting Cj Fair. Like Dave said, he's not as polished as Fair was. I see what he means when I watch the video, but I don't think Sid is raw like Yakwe is raw. He's played as much basketball in his lifetime as we could have hoped for.

I'll one up you this time and see if you agree. He's much more than a good pickup. He's a great recruit for our program and for this staff. He is what this staff was brought here to keep here. I'd say this is a great pickup. We can show that NYC kids can win at St.John's.

Still holding out hope that we'll add a big man who can add some experience inside.

Show me a poster who isn't thrilled by the Sid pickup and I'll show you a poster who's not a St. John's fan.

« Reply #469 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:52 AM »

Show me a poster who isn't thrilled by the Sid pickup and I'll show you a poster who's not a St. John's fan.

Perhaps an Iona fan instead?

« Reply #470 on: May 22, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »

Stop!!!!

You are in for a surprise then my friend. I'll set the over under at 4 three point attempts per game and take the over. Sid is definitely more bouncy than Shumpert, but he's nowhere near that freak show Grant.  Shumpert also was more athletic before Cuse put 20 lbs on him.

Huh?

« Reply #471 on: May 22, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »

Stop!!!!

Sid is not a shooter nor is the 3 point shot a part of his game. Over 2 seasons of travel ball (32 games) he's shot 8 of 27 from three which is just over 29%. I compared him more to Jeremi Grant because he relies more on his superior athleticism and quickness in the paint than overall skill at this stage in his development.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #472 on: May 22, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »
Sid is not Yakwe raw. Better hands, better feel, and more capable offensively.

Wods317

« Reply #473 on: May 22, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »

Stop!!!!

Sid is not a shooter nor is the 3 point shot a part of his game. Over 2 seasons of travel ball (32 games) he's shot 8 of 27 from three which is just over 29%. I compared him more to Jeremi Grant because he relies more on his superior athleticism and quickness in the paint than overall skill at this stage in his development.

That is fine for our team too. We have Shamorie, Bash, Lovett and Mussini can all hit the 3 so we can use a guy who goes to the hoop and makes the defense collapse. I think his game will fit in very nicely.

Marillac

« Reply #474 on: May 22, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

Stop!!!!

It is incorrect to lump his shooting in with other skills. His handle needs a ton of work...his shot is already right there. You'll see his soph season.

redslope

« Reply #475 on: May 22, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »
Zack reporting that Sid will be in the dorms and summer school next week.  Great to see that he is starting now, both academically and athletically.   This is what Richard should have done to prepare and get to know teammates. 

« Reply #476 on: May 22, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »

Stop!!!!

It is incorrect to lump his shooting in with other skills. His handle needs a ton of work...his shot is already right there. You'll see his soph season.

I'm a little confused. What are you basing this off of?

Marillac

« Reply #477 on: May 22, 2017, 02:40:09 PM »

Stop!!!!

Watching him play since his freshman year.

« Reply #478 on: May 22, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »

Stop!!!!

Watching him play since his freshman year.

You think a player who attempted 27 3s over 32 games, and hitting under 30% of them, is going to shoot 4+ per game? God, I hope not.

Poison

« Reply #479 on: May 22, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
Zack reporting that Sid will be in the dorms and summer school next week.  Great to see that he is starting now, both academically and athletically.   This is what Richard should have done to prepare and get to know teammates. 

Great to hear. Hopefully, someone will point him in the direction of the weight room.