Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY

• 749 replies
Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #640 on: August 30, 2017, 06:39:30 AM »
The Trimble is taking his minutes narrative is ridiculous. Sid was gonna play the 3 and 4

I like what I see in Trimble. Defense will define him, though.  I do think he is much more ready to play the three than Sid this year. I saw Sid as a 4/3, eventually becoming a pure 3.

I've said all along this kid has top 25 hype and baggage and he's not a top 50 caliber talent. I'm not sure why fans, especially Uconn fans, are so amped about this kid.

Uconn has no choice but to be amped for him. Outside of Jalen Adams they really don't have anybody else to fall on.
Uh alterique gilbert a MDAA.  Terry Larrier. JA, TL, and alterique gilbert would all start on st johns

Gilbert would start over Marcus LoVett or Shamorie Ponds? I don't think so man. LoVett is a fit version of El Amin, and Ponds is gonna put up 20 per. Gilbert can't shoot the three. Johnnies are deeper than Uconn if only because the Huskies have lost their identity. Frankly, I'm really surprised with the drop off. Larrier hasn't played to his high school ranking, and that's kinda the case with Gilbert to a much lesser extent because of his injury, but still, it's like Gilbert is a freshman again. I think Wilson smelled playing time. He probably thinks of himself as a 2/3, and that's where there is a log jam with Ahmed taking 25+ minutes and Simon. Where would this kid play other than the 4 or the 5, but look at him? Playing C/PF in the BE? No.

Agree with you here. Not knocking Sid but weighing 170 pounds would not be ideal playing the 4 in the BE.

pmg911

« Reply #641 on: August 30, 2017, 07:55:34 AM »
Does anyone know if he took summer classes..?

Johnny23

« Reply #642 on: August 30, 2017, 08:46:45 AM »
If Trimble is playing the 3 then we're in real trouble. A 6'3 200 lb wing strikes fear into no one.  The apologist theories on here get real old.  There's only one thing left to do and that's win a lot starting in November. Otherwise the revolving door will keep on turning.

MCNPA

« Reply #643 on: August 30, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »
The Trimble is taking his minutes narrative is ridiculous. Sid was gonna play the 3 and 4

I like what I see in Trimble. Defense will define him, though.  I do think he is much more ready to play the three than Sid this year. I saw Sid as a 4/3, eventually becoming a pure 3.

I've said all along this kid has top 25 hype and baggage and he's not a top 50 caliber talent. I'm not sure why fans, especially Uconn fans, are so amped about this kid.

Uconn has no choice but to be amped for him. Outside of Jalen Adams they really don't have anybody else to fall on.
Uh alterique gilbert a MDAA.  Terry Larrier. JA, TL, and alterique gilbert would all start on St. John's

Lol, the only player on that AAC team that can start here is Jalen Adams and that's a stretch. Is Terry Larrier  even healthy yet? I agree with the above poster, Sid sees playing time with uconn and MAY go for it ( still think it's Texas) . Our plan was to have Sid develop into a leader and star by his junior year. Looking at your roster, you need him now.
Jalen Adams is by far better than anyone on st johns. I promise. Rique and TL are indeed healthy. I wish you guys were on our schedule so we could wipe the floor with you lol

This is laughable.  SJU would destroy Uconn this season.  I wish both Cuse and Uconn were on schedule.  The Orange already got tired of getting smeared by SJU so they quit the series.   Yukon plays in one of the worst conferences in D1 ball.  It's a cesspool.  I'm actually happy we have a Yukon fan here talking trash.   It's indicative of the state of that program.  We've known plenty of suffering... happy to share some with you guys!   😝
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:50:31 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #644 on: August 30, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »
Does anyone know if he took summer classes..?

Believe he did. Of more concern should be his close friendship with Moses Brown. If staff is to blame for his decision it will not bode well with us for Moses. Heard this past weekend the tide may have been turning a bit in our favor with Brown.

Poison

« Reply #645 on: August 30, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »
If Trimble is playing the 3 then we're in real trouble. A 6'3 200 lb wing strikes fear into no one.  The apologist theories on here get real old.  There's only one thing left to do and that's win a lot starting in November. Otherwise the revolving door will keep on turning.

Is there still time to add another player? Doubtful, but this is on the staff. They didn't have enough players before Wilson quit. Either they make the tournament this season, or they should move on and hire a real coach. Enough of this shit. At some point you gotta blame the system.

Johnny23

« Reply #646 on: August 30, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »

Is there still time to add another player? Doubtful, but this is on the staff. They didn't have enough players before Wilson quit. Either they make the tournament this season, or they should move on and hire a real coach. Enough of this shit. At some point you gotta blame the system.

Highly doubtful but with this program who the hell knows. Yeah no doubt they missed out all summer on that extra big and hopefully it doesn't come back to bite us this season. This is the year to turn the corner or else it's groundhog day again.

Poison

« Reply #647 on: August 30, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »

Highly doubtful but with this program who the hell knows. Yeah no doubt they missed out all summer on that extra big and hopefully it doesn't come back to bite us this season. This is the year to turn the corner or else it's groundhog day again.

It just came back to bite us. Amar Alibegivic - this is your chance. Team can still be good, but they can't have injuries. Only thing is we always have them, and my criticism of this staff is in not recognizing that. They've brought some very talented high major D1 players, but it doesn't look like they've addressed their interior defense and rebounding. Owens and Clarke have a lot of pressure on them. There's no one else.

« Reply #648 on: August 30, 2017, 09:43:17 AM »
Damn!!!

« Reply #649 on: August 30, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
I just wish we'd start ONE #$%^in season without the #$%^in drama before I #$%^in die. 

Poison

« Reply #650 on: August 30, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »

Uh alterique gilbert a MDAA.  Terry Larrier. JA, TL, and alterique gilbert would all start on St. John's

Lol, the only player on that AAC team that can start here is Jalen Adams and that's a stretch. Is Terry Larrier  even healthy yet? I agree with the above poster, Sid sees playing time with uconn and MAY go for it ( still think it's Texas) . Our plan was to have Sid develop into a leader and star by his junior year. Looking at your roster, you need him now.
Jalen Adams is by far better than anyone on st johns. I promise. Rique and TL are indeed healthy. I wish you guys were on our schedule so we could wipe the floor with you lol

This is laughable.  SJU would destroy Uconn this season.  I wish both Cuse and Uconn were on schedule.  The Orange already got tired of getting smeared by SJU so they quit the series.   Yukon plays in one of the worst conferences in D1 ball.  It's a cesspool.  I'm actually happy we have a Yukon fan here talking trash.   It's indicative of the state of that program.  We've known plenty of suffering... happy to share some with you guys!   😝

I don't think we'd destroy Uconn. We were young last year and they were banged up. Thing is, you don't know if kids like Larrier and Gilbert will be able to play a full season. Some people are just injury prone. Also, I'm not comfortable with this guy calling Gilbert "Rique". He's played in 10 games and one of those was a loss to Wagner. He doesn't deserve a nickname yet. I will call him Gilbert. The Johnnies had worse losses, but they were led by freshman. Comes down to Uconn's health vs STJ talent and sophomore improvement. LoVett and Ponds are the team. And it's interesting to me because these were the types of guard Uconn used to get.

I'd say at MSG we'd beat them 83-68.

Poison

« Reply #651 on: August 30, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »
I just wish we'd start ONE #$%^in season without the #$%^in drama before I #$%^in die. 

It's naive to not expect it as a fan. It's a lack of foresight when the staff doesn't expect it.

« Reply #652 on: August 30, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »

It's naive to not expect it as a fan. It's a lack of foresight when the staff doesn't expect it.

Slice should've never been fired. He should've been allowed to run the program like he was promised

pmg911

« Reply #653 on: August 30, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »

Slice should've never been fired. He should've been allowed to run the program like he was promised

exactly

pmg911

« Reply #654 on: August 30, 2017, 11:44:05 AM »
Can we move him out of the committed area of the recruiting page.?

« Reply #655 on: August 30, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
I am just tired as a fan that of our offseason has more sparks than our in season.  I am a Mullin fan as a player, but as a coach, I think it was a terrible hire for the university.  This is a big year for the program and do believe it will be a successful year, but I do not think he was the right guy to be put in charge.

Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY
« Reply #656 on: August 30, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »
You guys usually have great information but (a) how do you know what precisely Slice was promised; (b) that his departure has nothing to do with his own conduct; and (c) that this is Mully's fault?  I love Slice but he had no track record as a head coach or running a program.

« Reply #657 on: August 30, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
You guys usually have great information but (a) how do you know what precisely Slice was promised; (b) that his departure has nothing to do with his own conduct; and (c) that this is Mully's fault?  I love Slice but he had no track record as a head coach or running a program.

Yes he did although his record at Manhattan was not good. Mullin was the one without a track record of running a program.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:27:05 PM by Celtics11 »

pmg911

« Reply #658 on: August 30, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »

While I don't have specific knowledge of anything on this...

Chris got Slice to leave Kentucky to come to St. John's, do you think Slice left the best program in the country with out some assurances of what his role would be.

« Reply #659 on: August 30, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
Yes, I'm aware he coached the Jaspers.  But that doesn't give him a track record of knowing how to run a successful D-I program.

To PMG's point, he was paid very well to leave Kentucky and come home.  Both factors I'm sure played a role in his decision.  While I'm also sure he received assurances that he would have substantial input in how the program is run, that is different than being told he is going to get to run the program however he wants without weigh-in from others.

The only story I heard was that he wanted SJU to take the Walker kid on Manhattan and thought he was as good as Ponds.  Well that kid ain't in the same universe as Ponds and no one could rationally suggest otherwise.

Yes he did although his record at Manhattan was not good. Mullin was the one without a track record of running a program.