Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY

• 749 replies
Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY
« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
Adam Zagoria‏  @AdamZagoria: 

2017 @BrewsterHoops wing @Iam_SidWilson is currently visiting @StJohnsBBall. Word is it's going well.

Wods317

« Reply #201 on: May 14, 2017, 05:39:29 PM »
Zags tweeted that the visit went great, but when don't they say it went great. Now it's the waiting game.....

« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2017, 08:06:34 PM »
According to poster on the boneyard fwiw:

The joy of recruiting. The new news I hear from two pretty good sources is that UConn and st. John's is neck-and-neck. His family really likes him being close to the city and family but coaches are big fans of UConn. Probably won't go on another visit. And the joy is that this all might be hot air.

Wods317

« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2017, 10:32:10 PM »

The joy of recruiting. The new news I hear from two pretty good sources is that UConn and st. John's is neck-and-neck. His family really likes him being close to the city and family but coaches are big fans of UConn. Probably won't go on another visit. And the joy is that this all might be hot air.

Geez reading through that thread on the UConn board you would think they are kentucky. They were horrible last year and a lot of there talent transferred. Obviously there recent history has been miles better then ours but they are shocked Sid is even considering us over them. Hope we get him and roll into next season with a very talented squad.

« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2017, 11:12:16 PM »

Geez reading through that thread on the UConn board you would think they are kentucky. They were horrible last year and a lot of there talent transferred. Obviously there recent history has been miles better then ours but they are shocked Sid is even considering us over them. Hope we get him and roll into next season with a very talented squad.

They have won 3 national championships in the past decade. They should act like they're really good.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2017, 12:47:12 AM »

They have won 3 national championships in the past decade. They should act like they're really good.
Yeah but we won one NIT game.

« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2017, 05:38:53 AM »

The problem with this post is that the same poster wrote 2-3 days ago that UConn had no option.

« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2017, 05:47:53 AM »
Heard it'S a 2 horse race with UCONN having a slight edge. Also UCONN looking for a return to the Big East soon

Johnny23

« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
Meanwhile Rutgers signs a 2017 6'9 240 lb PF from Cali yesterday.

Wods317

« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »

I'm well aware thanks. I'm only speaking to how they think they are currently way better then us, which I don't see.

Poison

« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2017, 09:30:43 AM »

I'm well aware thanks. I'm only speaking to how they think they are currently way better then us, which I don't see.

I don't think he would, Kevin Ollie could point to the players if he wanted to justify the season Uconn just had. Ollie has accomplished more than any St.John's coach ever has. And, Uconn is still a premier program despite a losing season.

That said, if the wheels come off for years on end, he could be replaced. I don't see that happening.

You know, you could make the case that Uconn is a better program than UK last 10 years. It's a damn good case, too.

« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »

I don't think he would, Kevin Ollie could point to the players if he wanted to justify the season Uconn just had. Ollie has accomplished more than any St.John's coach ever has. And, Uconn is still a premier program despite a losing season.

That said, if the wheels come off for years on end, he could be replaced. I don't see that happening.

You know, you could make the case that Uconn is a better program than UK last 10 years. It's a damn good case, too.

Sorry, you cannot make the case of UCONN being better than UK, sorry.  You have to be careful with the National Championship stuff.  Their run in 2014 was great but it was done with a pretty mediocre team with a hot player.  If you are going to go by NC’s and not consistently good to great teams then UCONN is a better program than Bill Self and Kansas or Tom Izzo and Michigan St.  And there is no one on God’s Green Earth that believes UCONN is as good a program as those two.  Kevin Ollie has as many NC’s as John Calipari, Tom Izzo and Bill Self.  So what! 

The fact is UCONN’s program, built to a remarkable standard by Calhoun, had been slipping for a few years.  Not just last year.  Remember they got a gift banked, half court shot against Cincy in the AAC Tournament in 2016 or they don’t win the AAC Tourney and make the NCAA’s in 2016, and they missed it in 2015 which means they were a half court 3 point bank shot away from missing the NCAA’s 3 consecutive years.  Go back to the BE, yes they won the NCAA’s in 2011, they were also 9-9 in conference play.  They have not sniffed a serious conference title run since 2009 and that includes playing in a weak AAC.  There is a reason why they are begging conferences to have them, their profile is not great right now.

All of that is not to diminish the fact that UCONN still has name recognition, good facilities and pretty good recent history.  But their slip is showing.  And the bad year followed by a mass departure of transfers and recruits (BTW they lost their best recruit  to fellow New England program Providence-are you going to argue Providence is a better program than UCONN and if not how did they lose a recruit to them but can’t lose one to SJU?) has hurt them considerably.

Again if I were them I would be a bit humble right now as SJU fans should be.

Give you another program with a ton of success over the last decade or so, Ohio St.  Thad Matta has a tremendous record.  But the last few years combined with this off-season is humbling and I don’t think their fan base is acting as if they are better than any major conference program even if the rivalprogram has not had nearly the amount of success as OSU has had over this given period of time.

Wods317

« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »

Sorry, you cannot make the case of UCONN being better than UK, sorry.  You have to be careful with the National Championship stuff.  Their run in 2014 was great but it was done with a pretty mediocre team with a hot player.  If you are going to go by NC’s and not consistently good to great teams then UCONN is a better program than Bill Self and Kansas or Tom Izzo and Michigan St.  And there is no one on God’s Green Earth that believes UCONN is as good a program as those two.  Kevin Ollie has as many NC’s as John Calipari, Tom Izzo and Bill Self.  So what! 

The fact is UCONN’s program, built to a remarkable standard by Calhoun, had been slipping for a few years.  Not just last year.  Remember they got a gift banked, half court shot against Cincy in the AAC Tournament in 2016 or they don’t win the AAC Tourney and make the NCAA’s in 2016, and they missed it in 2015 which means they were a half court 3 point bank shot away from missing the NCAA’s 3 consecutive years.  Go back to the BE, yes they won the NCAA’s in 2011, they were also 9-9 in conference play.  They have not sniffed a serious conference title run since 2009 and that includes playing in a weak AAC.  There is a reason why they are begging conferences to have them, their profile is not great right now.

All of that is not to diminish the fact that UCONN still has name recognition, good facilities and pretty good recent history.  But their slip is showing.  And the bad year followed by a mass departure of transfers and recruits (BTW they lost their best recruit  to fellow New England program Providence-are you going to argue Providence is a better program than UCONN and if not how did they lose a recruit to them but can’t lose one to SJU?) has hurt them considerably.

Again if I were them I would be a bit humble right now as SJU fans should be.

Give you another program with a ton of success over the last decade or so, Ohio St.  Thad Matta has a tremendous record.  But the last few years combined with this off-season is humbling and I don’t think their fan base is acting as if they are better than any major conference program even if the rivalprogram has not had nearly the amount of success as OSU has had over this given period of time.

Very well said. I respect the success uconn had but at this point they are heading downward and my point was similar to fordham in that the fans should be a little humbled and not think that they are a Duke or Kentucky and no one should go to St. John's instead of them.

Johnny23

« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
I see both sides of the argument. That said, UConn still carries more prestige than SJU at this moment in time. Regardless, let's hope Wilson wants to stay in the city.

derk

« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
Zags tweeted that the visit went great, but when don't they say it went great. Now it's the waiting game.....

The only time it goes great is if the kid signs before he goes out the door.

derk

« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
Heard it'S a 2 horse race with UCONN having a slight edge. Also UCONN looking for a return to the Big East soon

If they have a "slight edge" before his visit, we're done.

derk

« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »

Any details ? Who did they beat out ?

SJU79

« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »
He's already visited Uconn.  Corrrect that this is a two team race but respectfully disagree as to edge. Heard this is getting very heated internally between kid, family and different coaching staffs( that does NOT include SJU/Uconn rather his HS coaches, Prep and AAU).  From what I heard this morning this kid is getting pulled at from every angle....its a shame because its getting nasty.  Id rather not say who's pulling for which side but the kid himself def has a preference

SJU79

« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2017, 10:55:56 AM »
M Johnson Rutgers kid is out of Long Beach Poly. Was a high recruit as a Soph then had knee issues and when he came back Sr yr was slow and out of shape. He's an elite student and was close to signing with Lehigh but then had a few solid games and his recruitment picked up. I THIBK he chose RU over Hawaii and G Tech.  Great kid, big body, soft hands but not sure he will make much of an impact.

Johnny23

« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »

Any details ? Who did they beat out ?

Hawaii, GA Tech, and a few mid majors on both coasts. He came off a serious injury as a jr which slowed him down this past season. However he put up 8pts and 10 boards against Chino Hills (the Ball brothers school) so he's got some game. Kid's a big, physical looking specimen. 6'9-6'10.

NJHoops.com:

Rutgers landed a commitment from 6-foot-9 Myles Johnson from Poly High School in Riverside CA.

This season he helped Poly to a 22-9 record. Johnson is a 2017 recruit who will provide some inside depth for the Scarlet Knights.

Johnson also excelled in the classroom. He also had offers from Hawaii, Cal Santa Barbara, Colgate

He missed his junior season season with a broken patella

He was one of the California players nominated as McDonald's All American
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:57:27 AM by Johnny23 »