Exhibition - St. Thomas Aquinas Game Thread

• 55 replies
Re: Exhibition - St. Thomas Aquinas Game Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »
Ball movement from the bench players is very impressive.

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »
Love the slam by DLaRo.

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
Slow / ugly start but I really like what I saw during the 2nd half!  I know the competition wasnt great, but they played with passion and energy.  I also loved what I saw on the bench from D'lo and CO...rooting on their teammates.

ADLR showed a nice touch around the hoop and seemed to run the floor ok.  He will be more than just 5 fouls.

I also liked what I saw from Stewart and Henderson.  I wouldn't be surprised if those two are on scholarship next year.  Also, Stewart may be a factor this year!!

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »
Ball movement from the bench players is very impressive.
Agreed, Stewart, Henderson, and lipscomb moved it really well. Henderson has a pretty shot too.

De la rosa has good hands and a nice touch on his shot, he looked to box out, he could be good if he got in better shape

Alibegovic has a little pointer in him, but he seems like he wants to be a perimeter player on offense, which isn't really needed at his position

Greene hit some threes. He can be really effective if used sparingly

Branch looks like he still doesn't get it. He throws the ball away and drives out of control way too much. I always thought he would get under control and become an important player because he shows flashes of great vision, but it hasn't happened yet and he's running out of time.

Harrison was Harrison, as usual. He's such a beast on the boards too, I wish we had a 6'7 version of him on the boards

Jordan looked better than last game, played off the ball more, should look to pass more when he drives

Jones didn't look good again, hands of stone, gets lost on d and didn't box out, didn't run the court well, if he didn't redshirt I would think he was looking to transfer

No Felix, I don't think

Obekpa looked happy on the bench, so he injury doesn't seem serious

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
Unfortunately Delarosa looks far too slow to play at this level. I hope he gets in shape, but he has a ways to go before he can play at a BE level, IMO. If he doesn't shape up it wouldn't surprise me to see him get no minutes once BE play starts. He even looked too slow to play defense in the paint or rebound consistently. Again, I hope he proves me wrong.

desco80

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
Branch doesn't get it?
He threw one pass away today!   We didn't start looking good till he took over as pg.

It's 100% clear to me that Branch needs to be the primary ball handler with Dangelo and Rysheed playing on the wings.

Rysheed looks bigger this season.  We can certainly get away with him playing sf.
He needs to settle down his jump shot, but he looked good today.  Was much better from what I gather than he was in exhibition 1.

Greene shot lights out in the second half.  No complaints from me, as long as he's not the pg.

We're gonna need to get something from amar and jones.  Right now they look like our weak point.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 04:31:11 PM »
Delarosa showed some nice offensive moves. In an ideal world, he'd sit and watch this year, but that isn't reality. Losing Thomas will leave Lavin w no choice. They should mirror Delarosa and coach him at every meal. They desperately need size.

Jones was pretty bad. Maybe his knee is getting in the way of his game, but how are you not able to defend at this level?

Pointer played great. He rebounded, hit jumpers, played aggressive defense, passed well and finished strong.

Amar is a tough guy.  He didn't like how St.Thomas threw his teammate to the ground, and he caused an altercation which resulted in a technical. I'm not looking to see this nightly, but at least he isn't afraid. He looked comfortable passing the ball and he was mixing it up for boards a bit.

Jordan, Greene, Branch and DLo all played very well.

Stewart, Henderson and Lipscomb all made the most of their limited minutes.

Overall, we were much better on d in the second half, and we shot the lights out. Hopefully, they can continue to get contributions out of Delarosa and Alibegovic.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:40:37 PM by Poison »

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: So less than a week before Isaiah Briscoe makes his decision, Steve Lavin gets him on campus. Well-played. #sjubb
So I guess Lavin wasn't playing games with IB after all. Sounded like BS from the beginning.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
Box score help please? Redstormsports.com shockingly, doesn't have one up yet.

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »

Best I can do man

@StJohnsBBall: .@StJohnsBBall Final Box 97-71 win over St Thomas Aquinas (exhibition) #sjubb http://t.co/Pgomks1W3R

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 05:32:19 PM »

Best I can do man

@StJohnsBBall: .@StJohnsBBall Final Box 97-71 win over St Thomas Aquinas (exhibition) #sjubb http://t.co/Pgomks1W3R

Thanks Paultz. Harrison with the double-double!

Poison

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »

Best I can do man

TY

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
Three things I took away from the game:

1.  Delarosa has very good hands, a soft touch, and pretty good footwork inside.  He really needs to get in shape and he will help this team.

2.  Amar prefers the perimeter on offense but he will definitely board and mix it up inside.  A little bit of "dirty" in him.  He hit a kid with a head butt after a rebound late in the game.

3.  Phil Greene is a very good shooter.

Had to add a fourth:  our walkons are pretty good.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:43:59 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
Just watched the replay of the game.  Amar's elbow hit the kid.  Not the head.

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »

I loved this lineup today and it looks like Lavin took notice. Would love to see us run with this group if Obekpa is in out or in foul trouble and also if were looking to go really fast.

Branch with D and Sheed on the wings is dynamic.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
I honestly think they should consider using Stewart or Henderson on the wing this year. Jones has not earned the PT he's getting, and if he's not going board, and d up, I'd rather have player out there who is just a good overall baller.

In the first half guys like Pointer and Branch were running only to have each other waiting on the wings to shout a 3. But in the second half, we Jordan, Pointer and Branch finding Greene, Harrison, Stewart and Henderson for open threes in transition. This is how we can win games, but we need guys who can knock down these shots.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:17:48 PM by Poison »

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »
I honestly think they should consider using Stewart or Henderson on the wing this year. Jones has not earned the PT he's getting, and if he's not going board, and d up, I'd rather have player out there who is just a good overall baller.

In the first half guys like Pointer and Branch were running only to have each other waiting on the wings to shout a 3. But in the second half, we Jordan, Pointer and Branch finding Greene, Harrison, Stewart and Henderson for open threes in transition. This is how we can win games, but we need guys who can knock down these shots.

Documenting this so if it ever happens we can laugh when you immediately hate it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
ADL will get better and be a problem for other teams late in season.

Amar.  Wow.  Definitely a little dirty.  I think he can contribute.

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2014, 10:10:25 PM »
Branch doesn't get it?
He threw one pass away today! 
His other highlights included an airball, a few out of control spin moves into traffic (2 I believe), and a few unforced turnovers. All in like 20 minutes.

I don't dislike him, he looks like he's really trying out there and he's not selfish, but people need to be more realistic about what he gives this team

Poison

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2014, 10:13:55 PM »

Documenting this so if it ever happens we can laugh when you immediately hate it.

Hah. Please do. You can document that I like both Stewart and Henderson. It's early, so we'll see about Jones. He's looked pretty awful so far. Hopefully, it's rust.