Jon Rothstein 1 on 1 with Lavin

• 54 replies

Moose

Re: Jon Rothstein 1 on 1 with Lavin
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
Some of you guys are miserable. We are getting national exposure. Instead of being happy or proud their are complaints. Being critical is fine when it is warrented.
Never has a statement been so true. It is a shame that people would be happier if St. John's sucked this year cause it would make them right. After this year Coach Lavin in 5 year would have taken St. John's to 2 NIT & 2 NCAA's. With his Health and Family issues he has done a good job overall, not great but good. I think St. John's future looks bright as part of the new Big East. I hope Coach Lavin is at St. John's for the next 10 years. Go St. John's

The NIT means jack.  Can we stop calling it postseason basketball and making it seem like an accomplishment?

* We saw how much it meant to the players and even the coach last year.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:40:06 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »
Some of you guys are miserable. We are getting national exposure. Instead of being happy or proud their are complaints. Being critical is fine when it is warrented.
Never has a statement been so true. It is a shame that people would be happier if St. John's sucked this year cause it would make them right. After this year Coach Lavin in 5 year would have taken St. John's to 2 NIT & 2 NCAA's. With his Health and Family issues he has done a good job overall, not great but good. I think St. John's future looks bright as part of the new Big East. I hope Coach Lavin is at St. John's for the next 10 years. Go St. John's
The NIT means jack. Can we stop calling it postseason basketball and making it seem like an accomplishment? * We saw how much it meant to the players and even the coach last year.
Coach showed up 15 mins before the game

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »

People enjoy college basketball and follow their favorite team differently.  Some are very positive and outwardly express joy at the surprisingly good beginning.  Some enjoy complaining and being extremely critical of the team even when things are going very well.  Many fall somewhere in between.

Neither is right or wrong and one group are not better fans than the other.  So don't worry about it.

If you want to judge fans there is only one criteria that really matters.  How many games you attend (if able to). Period!

Moose

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
People enjoy college basketball and follow their favorite team differently. Some are very positive and outwardly express joy at the surprisingly good beginning. Some enjoy complaining and being extremely critical of the team even when things are going very well. Many fall somewhere in between. Neither is right or wrong and one group are not better fans than the other. So don't worry about it. If you want to judge fans there is only one criteria that really matters. How many games you attend (if able to). Period!

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
He made the decision this August to concentrate on baseball. He transferred in order to keep playing college basketball, because his coach kicked him out.
Again, why would he "kick" out Amir and not some other lesser value player on the team? I'm not buying it and nothing anyone has said answers that most important question. I would have found the door for Jones before letting Amir go. Amir left on his own accord.
Amir was buried on the bench behind Sir'Dom and Jakarr his sophomore year, with the addition of Hooper and Sanchez at his position and with Sheed coming in which would shift another guard to Amir's position there just wasn't any playing time available. Christian was willing to redshirt so he was more valuable.

Marco, Felix? I dont buy amir getting the push. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2014, 10:02:43 PM »
He made the decision this August to concentrate on baseball. He transferred in order to keep playing college basketball, because his coach kicked him out.
Again, why would he "kick" out Amir and not some other lesser value player on the team? I'm not buying it and nothing anyone has said answers that most important question. I would have found the door for Jones before letting Amir go. Amir left on his own accord.
Amir was buried on the bench behind Sir'Dom and Jakarr his sophomore year, with the addition of Hooper and Sanchez at his position and with Sheed coming in which would shift another guard to Amir's position there just wasn't any playing time available. Christian was willing to redshirt so he was more valuable.
Marco, Felix? I dont buy amir getting the push.

I don't know about Desco's theory but as for the names you mentioned.  

Marco was going to be a Sr.  So not forcing him out.

And Felix is friends with who? 

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2014, 10:29:38 PM »
I've said it previously that Amir's plan was always to leave after 2 years. Premeditated from the start. However I don't think the plan was because of baseball. I think he thought he was going to the NBA. 
Lavin always thought he was going to balance out the schollie's with guys leaving early. The only one not planned was Moe Harkless especially with Sanchez's eligibility issues. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
Dave I get Lavs thinking that Mo wouldn't be a one and done.  But no way he could have believed that Harkless would see his senior year (and even possibly his junior year)

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2014, 11:21:07 PM »
Dave-if original plan was Amir for only 2 years because he would go to NBA obviously those plans had to be revised so still doesn't explain the transfer to continue playing basketball at another school.

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »
I'm not saying he made the wrong choice and I'm aware he is strictly playing baseball now but he left SJU with the intention of still playing basketball. To say he left SJU for professional baseball is a flat out lie. He left because we had too many players under scholarship and he was the player Lavin needed the least.
Being forced to leave and being told the expectations for developing his basket skills are 2 different things...hard nosed player but needed to work on his offensive skills and just wasn't going to have the time...

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 10:08:17 AM »
Dave-if original plan was Amir for only 2 years because he would go to NBA obviously those plans had to be revised so still doesn't explain the transfer to continue playing basketball at another school.
And folks think Rysheed is delusional...at no point did Amir display any ability that projected NBA...unless that is a typo and you meant MLB...

TONYD3

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
And folks think Rysheed is delusional...at no point did Amir display any ability that projected NBA...unless that is a typo and you meant MLB...
Garret came from Findaly Prep and around a top 40 player out of HS. Ranked around Harkless. Not much higher then Jordan.

SJUFAN

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »
Garret came from Findaly Prep and around a top 40 player out of HS. Ranked around Harkless. Not much higher then Jordan.
Rankings are relative. Some kids hit full maturity while in middle school while other not until late in HS. I've seen kids dominate like Shaq in the 6th grade but then cant compete with those same kids in HS.. I wouldn't put much weight in a players HS ranking. I seen Amir in HS and his ranking was based purely on his athleticism same thing with Dom. They had no offensive game, but they didn't need it at that level and didn't develop it. That's why Jordan is struggling now, he use to bully players with his size in HS. He can't do that at this level and needs to develop his game. If Dom and Jordan developed their basketball skills to match their athleticism they would be All Americans and sure fire NBA prospects.

ras

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »
Garret came from Findaly Prep and around a top 40 player out of HS. Ranked around Harkless. Not much higher then Jordan.
Garrett wasn't a top 40 player, just made ESPNs to 100.

TONYD3

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »
Garret 51 rivals 73 scout 63 scout. However, this one on one was about the current team . Garret has not been part of the program In years.