Providenice - Player of the Game

• 38 replies

cjfish

Re: Providenice - Player of the Game
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 05:02:43 PM »
Amar knows how to set a screen (European) and is wide....COs high screens are a joke, often not properly positioned and he is a toohpick

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 05:23:37 PM »
Hope Amar has jumped a couple slots of the depth chart. I also thought Felix played well in his spurt on the court had a bucket and had a nice drive to the basket, beat his man, but just didnt put enought on the layup.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 06:52:48 PM »
Hope Amar has jumped a couple slots of the depth chart. I also thought Felix played well in his spurt on the court had a bucket and had a nice drive to the basket, beat his man, but just didnt put enought on the layup.

Felix has to finish stronger. He beat his man, and instead of going right to the rack, he took what looked some sort of off balance jumper. He's got to use his athleticism in smarter ways.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »

Felix has to finish stronger. He beat his man, and instead of going right to the rack, he took what looked some sort of off balance jumper. He's got to use his athleticism in smarter ways.

Lavin, in the salt and pepper timeout, told them he wanted them to finish above ther rim.  Rysheed also went left to the basket and tried to put it up softly and got it blocked.  If these kids listened to their coach, we would still be ranked.

desco80

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 09:37:10 PM »

Lavin, in the salt and pepper timeout, told them he wanted them to finish above ther rim.  Rysheed also went left to the basket and tried to put it up softly and got it blocked.  If these kids listened to their coach, we would still be ranked.

Oh geez.
First off, how do you follow the instructions of someone who gives analogies, or examples, or  equivalences, if you will, in threes?
But even assuming they could understand what he was telling them to do, what good would acting like an ancient japanese mercenary, a robber of medieval nobles, or effecting the values of a discount superstore do to improve their basketball-play?

Simplyred, we root for the same team, and I want them to do as well as you do, but wake up!  LaVin hasn't said something helpful in a pregame, ingame, or post game speech since he got the job here.
Spin and hot air, over and over again.   

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 09:55:50 PM »

Oh geez.
First off, how do you follow the instructions of someone who gives analogies, or examples, or  equivalences, if you will, in threes?
But even assuming they could understand what he was telling them to do, what good would acting like an ancient japanese mercenary, a robber of medieval nobles, or effecting the values of a discount superstore do to improve their basketball-play?

Simplyred, we root for the same team, and I want them to do as well as you do, but wake up!  LaVin hasn't said something helpful in a pregame, ingame, or post game speech since he got the job here.

Next time you cook a meal, leave out the salt and pepper.  Suddenly, everything will become clear.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »

Oh geez.

This is just ignorant. You hate him, I know, but that's just an ignorant thing to say.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »
This Providence game also reminds me of Lavin's prophetic words that in some situations rebounding is not that important.  Look at the rebound differential and the final score.  Frankly, I'm ready to put away my Dalai Lama Book of Wisdom and pick up ANYTHING written by Steve Lavin.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:22:42 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 10:22:54 PM »

Oh geez.

LOL

Please answer me this, how would you know? Do you sit courtside, no you don't, in fact your in every single game thread, so you attend basically no games.

Do you have Lavin mic'ed up?

Have you listened to all 117 games Lavin has coached in the huddle??

Do you travel to every away game and tournament?

This was one of the dumbest post's I've ever read. You seriously sound like oldred or realfan, or Linda with that one.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 10:30:48 PM »
We know Desco doesn't like Lavin but it is clear that his words were hyperbolic.  I am certain that by the end of this year his position will be somewhat tempered.  Be patient with him.

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 11:03:46 PM »
Rebounding helps you win the games where you aren't shooting well. We need to pick it up on the boards big time. If that means that JDR and Amir get more minutes simply because of their size, so be it. When Dom is at the 4 we need all the guards to rebound, especially DLo and Jordan because of size and athleticism. Desco is right in that we aren't going to shoot as well game in, game out as we did last night. Nova is a better shooting and passing team but they get a ton of rebounds from the guard/wing position even when not shooting well. We need more of that in Big East play.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 11:09:28 PM »
Rebounding helps you win the games where you aren't shooting well. We need to pick it up on the boards big time. If that means that JDR and Amir get more minutes simply because of their size, so be it. When Dom is at the 4 we need all the guards to rebound, especially DLo and Jordan because of size and athleticism. Desco is right in that we aren't going to shoot as well game in, game out as we did last night. Nova is a better shooting and passing team but they get a ton of rebounds from the guard/wing position even when not shooting well. We need more of that in Big East play.

In this case, this is a misleading stat. One of the reasons we had less rebounds is because your team usually gets more defensive boards than offensive boards, but on the offensive side of the ball, if the ball goes through the net, there is no board to grab.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:10:04 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 11:13:18 PM »

I wonder if more consistent PT could make Balamou into a serviceable role player. He's throen down a dunk before, but I think in his limited action, he's overexcited. I'd sign up for a bench of Jordan, Alibegovic and Branch w Delarosa playing in dire circumstances.

Jones could wave a towel, but I don't see him putting any passion into that either.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:13:43 PM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 11:16:10 PM »
Desco is right that we wont shoot like this every game, but in his analysis he neglected to mention that St.John's kicked the shxt out of Providence. Anyone who watched the game would have seen that. This is the first time I have ever seen a coach take criticism because his team shot to well from the field. 

desco80

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »

Oh geez.

LOL

Please answer me this, how would you know? Do you sit courtside, no you don't, in fact your in every single game thread, so you attend basically no games.

This was one of the dumbest post's I've ever read. You seriously sound like oldred or realfan, or Linda with that one.

Oh geez.

LOL

I thought it was obvious that I was exaggerating my point.  I guess not.
Of course I haven't been in every huddle, but yes, I do attend every home game.    If I'm commenting during a home game it's from my phone.
And I've been to our neutral site games at MSG and Barclays this season, and went to the Rock on NYE.
So disagree with me all you want, but I watch the games intently.   Usually in-person.

And while I was embellishing the argument for sure, I stand by the point that I think Lavin talks in circles a lot and doesn't offer concrete instructions very often.
I'm sure he sometimes says things that are helpful.   But from what I can hear at Alumni Hall (where my seats are relatively close to the SJU bench) and from what he says during tv coverage of timeouts, I think he's a poor communicator. 

You can support him all you want, but I'm far from the only one who thinks Steve Lavin is useless during timeouts.  Ask UCLA fans.
The man has a reputation for a reason.

desco80

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »

In this case, this is a misleading stat. One of the reasons we had less rebounds is because your team usually gets more defensive boards than offensive boards, but on the offensive side of the ball, if the ball goes through the net, there is no board to grab.

Exactly...
Providence shot terribly and we were still out-rebounded. 

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »

Oh geez.

LOL

Oh geez.

LOL

I thought it was obvious that I was exaggerating my point.  I guess not.
Of course I haven't been in every huddle, but yes, I do attend every home game.    If I'm commenting during a home game it's from my phone.
And I've been to our neutral site games at MSG and Barclays this season, and went to the Rock on NYE.
So disagree with me all you want, but I watch the games intently.   Usually in-person.

And while I was embellishing the argument for sure, I stand by the point that I think Lavin talks in circles a lot and doesn't offer concrete instructions very often.
I'm sure he sometimes says things that are helpful.   But from what I can hear at Alumni Hall (where my seats are relatively close to the SJU bench) and from what he says during tv coverage of timeouts, I think he's a poor communicator. 

You can support him all you want, but I'm far from the only one who thinks Steve Lavin is useless during timeouts.  Ask UCLA fans.

Good reply.

I'm in no way shape or form a Lavin supporter, but I do sometimes think his negatives are often exaggerated. It's easy to find negatives when you are looking for them, and often times you find negatives that aren't really there.

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »
I usually sit really close to both our bench and the opposing teams bench. I also watch intently . Rarely do I hear anything of substance from any coach and I am paying attention . Sharing the sugar and salt and pepper refernences are kind of lame but the players are paying attention in the huddle. To say otherwise or to imply anything other then Lavin coaching just as hard as any coach just isn't true. Also never saw d'lo roll his eyes

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »

Many of us feel Lavin isn't a wizard with the chalk, but how can you absolutely say he's useless during timeouts?  That's isn't even objectivity, as it is more about your obvious agenda shining through.

What is this about asking UCLA fans?  Forget about what they think.  Go on your own belief, however slanted it may or may not be.  UCLA fans doesn't particularly care about anyone who isn't taking them to Final Four's.  I haven't been to a UCLA board since CRgreen passed.  But I wouldn't be surprised at all, if they are taking a big, fat, dump on Steve Alford right about now.