Which non in-game coaching event most greatly affected Lav's first 5 years?

• 55 replies

SJUFAN

Otto Porter was a first team all american and BE poy as a sophomore. You CANNOT tell me that he was a better college player than Moe was. If Moe stays he is BE poy and he is an all american.

You can say that each one of these are connected and caused by one another, but if you look at them as completely separate. Losing Moe was huge. Its really too bad for us. Great for Moe to get drafted. But bad for us.

We lost Moe 3 years ago. Sure no one expected that to happen but that is more than enough time to recover. We lost Sampson last year, sure the staff may not have expected it but that is why you never stop recruiting. You can't go after players that have the potential to go pro and then act surprised when they do.

Lot of options, interested to see the result.  FYI this is not some sort of poll to act like it's not Lavin's fault (option 4 definitely is, and option 3 kind of implies that it was Dunlap, not Lavin, that had us play so well in year 1, actually). 

Personally I think it's Dunlap's departure.  He seems like an all business guy that cares so much about winning, and was obviously huge to the 2011 team playing well and player development.  If he was still with the staff another 1 or 2 years I think 1) the staff would never have taken it easy on the recruiting trail (not that dunlap would have been signing big time recruits, but that his presence would never have allowed a relaxed year), and 2) our guys would have improved quicker and team would have played better, so we prob make the tourney last year.
Not that Dunlap signed players off his own effort as you said, but I recall some articles and posters stating he connected really well with some recruits. I cannot recall which ones, but I bet some on here remember.

Man if Moe played his soph year he would have been a top 5 draft pick.

Otto Porter was a first team all american and BE poy as a sophomore. You CANNOT tell me that he was a better college player than Moe was. If Moe stays he is BE poy and he is an all american.

You can say that each one of these are connected and caused by one another, but if you look at them as completely separate. Losing Moe was huge. Its really too bad for us. Great for Moe to get drafted. But bad for us.
I put Otto and Moe together overall as players.  Otto Porter has the bball "sixth sense." Dude sees stuff 99% of players do not. It more than made up for any physical limitations at NBA level. I think he'll keep getting better just like Moe. I like them both as players.

Poison

Lot of options, interested to see the result.  FYI this is not some sort of poll to act like it's not Lavin's fault (option 4 definitely is, and option 3 kind of implies that it was Dunlap, not Lavin, that had us play so well in year 1, actually). 

Personally I think it's Dunlap's departure.  He seems like an all business guy that cares so much about winning, and was obviously huge to the 2011 team playing well and player development.  If he was still with the staff another 1 or 2 years I think 1) the staff would never have taken it easy on the recruiting trail (not that dunlap would have been signing big time recruits, but that his presence would never have allowed a relaxed year), and 2) our guys would have improved quicker and team would have played better, so we prob make the tourney last year.
Not that Dunlap signed players off his own effort as you said, but I recall some articles and posters stating he connected really well with some recruits. I cannot recall which ones, but I bet some on here remember.

The post Norm players for the most part, didn't like him. He wanted them to work hard, and they didn't like that. Lindsay even quit because of it, but clearly Dunlap was the problem there because Lindsay is thriving as a point guard in the NBA.

The post Norm players for the most part, didn't like him. He wanted them to work hard, and they didn't like that. Lindsay even quit because of it, but clearly Dunlap was the problem there because Lindsay is thriving as a point guard in the NBA.
I did not realize that - dislike - would not have guessed that.  Maybe hated how hard he ran practices, but thought the guys were fond of him. I love his passion for the game combined with the meticulous details.

Remember the bat?  I don't think they liked that.

Remember the bat?  I don't think they liked that.
We all did - lol

desco80

D'Angelo and Dunlap got along very well.

I think the turning point was how coach handled his illness and recovery.   You can't fault a person for falling ill, but if they're dedicated to the organization they should be expected to make the right decision about when and how they return.
If he couldn't coach in September, he shouldn't have. 
If he was able to come back in February, he should have. 

His wishy-washyness is what cost us on the recruiting trail, and what fed rumors by other coaches.    He needed to send a clear message, and he didn't.

Agree.  He let blood accumulate in the waters around the program.  Lost a lot of momentum.  Rumor mill was churning butter about us.

I think the turning point was how coach handled his illness and recovery.   You can't fault a person for falling ill, but if they're dedicated to the organization they should be expected to make the right decision about when and how they return.

His wishy-washyness is what cost us on the recruiting trail, and what fed rumors by other coaches.    He needed to send a clear message, and he didn't.

Agree.  He let blood accumulate in the waters around the program.  Lost a lot of momentum.  Rumor mill was churning butter about us.

There is some truth to that.  But that is easily correctable.  He is healthy and assuming he gets the extension he will be re-invigorated.  He knows how to recruit.  He got lazy in some respects.

He knows that can't happen again.  He is not stupid.  He does not want to be fired again.  He does not want to fail again.

And he knows regardless of the length of the extension the important part is the buyout.  He knows if we are here in 2 years lamenting back to back mediocre seasons he will be on the phone with ESPN looking for a gig.

His problems are correctable.  It is up to him to re-dedicate himself.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:30:37 PM by Dave »

There is some truth to that.  But that is easily correctable.  He is healthy and assuming he gets the extension he will be re-invigorated.  He knows how to recruit.  He got lazy in some respects.

He knows that can't happen again.  He is not stupid.  He does not want to be fired again.  He does not want to fail again.

And he knows regardless of the length of the extension the important part is the buyout.  He knows if we are here in 2 years lamenting back to back mediocre seasons he will be on the phone with ESPN looking for a gig.

The question is can he salvage the '15 class?  Outside of a few kids, he's missed out on all of his major targets.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:31:03 PM by Dave »

I'll even go so far to say that if 2015 class is a wash (no Cheick, and one or two other decent grabs), that a good 2016 class with an above .500 '15-'16 campaign will be enough to gain momentum moving forward.

With all due respect, I don't get this.  I am an extremely competitive person.  If I have a chance to sell players and go get players, and that's gonna dictate the success of the team, to a large degree, then I'm going to do that.  Is Lavin not competitive? 

The quote about him not feeling any pressure to win really kills me.  Let's say  there is no external pressure.  Fine.  Let's say all the negatives are true about us, our fan base, et cetera, the university is just happy to be there, all that.  Doesn't he feel internal pressure?  When the game is over & we lose, he turns to do the handshake & he's congratulating the other team's assistants...on his way to a fat dinner in his chauffeured car...he does not seem to sweat losses.  There's never any avarice, not much rivalry talk in the press...we hate them, they hate us et c.....

I'd like to see it to know it's there.  You'd think maybe he would want to win bc bringing us up would be so huge, or to win for his buddy Keady, who was a far better coach than him and never won....

When a coach needs to rededicate himself, he usually needs to do it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:31:35 PM by Dave »

With all due respect, I don't get this.  I am an extremely competitive person.  If I have a chance to sell players and go get players, and that's gonna dictate the success of the team, to a large degree, then I'm going to do that.  Is Lavin not competitive? 

The quote about him not feeling any pressure to win really kills me.  Let's say  there is no external pressure.  Fine.  Let's say all the negatives are true about us, our fan base, et cetera, the university is just happy to be there, all that.  Doesn't he feel internal pressure?  When the game is over & we lose, he turns to do the handshake & he's congratulating the other team's assistants...on his way to a fat dinner in his chauffeured car...he does not seem to sweat losses.  There's never any avarice, not much rivalry talk in the press...we hate them, they hate us et c.....

I'd like to see it to know it's there.  You'd think maybe he would want to win bc bringing us up would be so huge, or to win for his buddy Keady, who was a far better coach than him and never won....

No Gary Williams at Maryland had a lull shortly after he won the NC in 2002.  I think you see it in college football.  Bob Stoops has slipped at Oklahoma.  But he talks openly about re-dedicating himself.

I think he got caught a big flat footed last year with the 0-5 start and then losing JaKarr early.  Because last year is what this whole thing comes down to.  If they had won 1 or 2 more last year they would have made the NCAA's and we would not even be having this discussion.

Not to excuse it but let's not act like they went 15-21 in the BE these last two years either. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:32:03 PM by Dave »

I think I fixed all the mix quotes in your guys posts. That was a terrible string of errors.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

No Gary Williams at Maryland had a lull shortly after he won the NC in 2002.  I think you see it in college football.  Bob Stoops has slipped at Oklahoma.  But he talks openly about re-dedicating himself.

I think he got caught a big flat footed last year with the 0-5 start and then losing JaKarr early.  Because last year is what this whole thing comes down to.  If they had won 1 or 2 more last year they would have made the NCAA's and we would not even be having this discussion.

Not to excuse it but let's not act like they went 15-21 in the BE these last two years either.

Gary went away from what got him there.  He tried, like any championship winning coach before him, to leverage into a more highly rated recruiting class. It back fired into the lull you mentioned after '03 season.  Gilchrist drove him batty; Garrison was soft; McD AA Mike Jones had zero footwork and coverage on D... on and on it went. They won the ACC tourney and Gilchrist acted immature and selfish.  Gary and him butted heads big time (Gary still loves him now - lol).  One never knows how recruits will really pan out

The question is can he salvage the '15 class?  Outside of a few kids, he's missed out on all of his major targets.

Besides IB, which other major targets has he missed out on in '15? Diallo's decision will be a big one.

Poison

Besides IB, which other major targets has he missed out on in '15? Diallo's decision will be a big one.

We haven't been linked to anyone other than Briscoe and Diallo this year. Lavin hasn't really made much noise on the recruiting front since signing Jordan. I think it's only fair to ask him what's up? Why did St.John's stop recruiting?

We haven't been linked to anyone other than Briscoe and Diallo this year. Lavin hasn't really made much noise on the recruiting front since signing Jordan. I think it's only fair to ask him what's up? Why did St.John's stop recruiting?

Sampson was a major target also. So if you want to be fair, so far Lavin lost one and won one of his 3 major targets. Diallo is the swing vote.