Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies

MCNPA

Re: MoMo Jones to transfer
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2011, 11:06:38 PM »
I don't know MCN. I'm not sure I would rather have Harrow. I hear what you are saying, kid is a talent. I like MoMo's intangibles better. I was really impressed with him during the NCAA tournament. I saw a kid perform well on a big stage. For us to possibly have that next year, for a young team to have a seasoned QB, I got to take that. Down the road, Harrow has a much higher potential. Interesting debate.

But I can def agree, we are in a great position these days.

Yeah, I just feel like its no-lose scenarios one after another lately.  Harrow vs MoMo.  One 5 star kid or another 5 star kid.   I don't think we can lose with either one.  I too love MoMo's intangibles.  I love what Harrow has to offer also.  Wish we could take both.  It's great to be part of the upper tier recruiting-wise though.  I thought we'd have to wait a few years to see what Lavin can do.  At this point, I don't think i can name
10 guys who I'd rather have recruiting for us than Steve Lavin and that is quite a testament. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:08:55 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »
so if he comes here and we have jevon we cant get ANYONE else?

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/16/momo-jones-transferring/#more-52444

“After much thought, I have decided to pursue my goals at a school closer to home.  My desire to be closer to my family, and in particular my grandmother, is the reason I am transferring.  I want it to be known that I love this program, my coaches and teammates.  I appreciate everyone for supporting me through this tough time.”
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2011, 11:40:16 PM »
Aren't we expecting Nurideen Lindsey to be running the point from day 1?

Nurideen included.

gonzalo

Multiple sources said that they wouldn't be shocked if MoMo Jones wound up at St. John's and tried to get a waiver to play immediately.

http://bit.ly/l7522i

Would it be possible to play immediately?

Marillac

Multiple sources said that they wouldn't be shocked if MoMo Jones wound up at St. John's and tried to get a waiver to play immediately.

Not a chance.

Moose

Not a chance.

Why do you say not a chance?  He has a sick grandmother.  I have seen too many cases over the years where immediate eligibility was granted.  It's about time the sun shine on us in a case like that.
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

3 high schools. 3 college commitments? No thanks.

Well...he's not afraid to make a decision.  He's got that going for him.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 09:01:39 AM »
He's not playing at Fordham. I mean lets get real.

Thanks.  Surely you jest...

BTW-Jones leaving 'Zona, Dalton Pepper leaving West Virginia and Anthony Crater failed his 3rd drug test at S Florida and he has been kicked off the team.

I would only take Jones of he got the waiver and even then I am not sure I want him over Harrow.  But at least you would get an experienced guard who can play immediately.

I think either way Stith is a goner.  Probably won't last pass the summer.

What is it about Harrow that you like so much?

Basically I prefer his skill set as a pure PG to Jones.  But just my opinion.

Will be interesting because Moose hit on it, Moe Hicks could be influential if he believes that MoMo is a better fit at SJU then Harrow.

Slow-Mo > MoMo

Kyle Anderson appreciated that tweet too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Slow-Mo > MoMo

But Dave are you saying YOU would prefer KA over MoMo or are you saying that you hear the STAFF prefers it that way?

Moose

Slow-Mo > MoMo

But Dave are you saying YOU would prefer KA over MoMo or are you saying that you hear the STAFF prefers it that way?

Yeah Dave and don't ignore my post to you above :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

my sentiments exactly
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Whatever the outcome this press is positive for St. John's. Who doesn't want to come to St. John's? Puts positive pressure to commit before someone else just as talented does.

I'd be very surprised if MoMo came to St. John's. Stranger things have happened.

OK I'll bite.

Why would you be surprised?  He said "My desire to be closer to my family, and in particular my grandmother, is the reason I am transferring."  So coming back home that would put STJ, SHU, Fordham, other local schools.  We have his old HS coach.  And I recall some quotes earlier this year where he expressed regret leaving Rice.  An immediate contributor to a freshman laden team.

So again why do you think no.

Sorry didn't see this before.

I would just be surprised because of team dynamics and how I'd envision the rotation playing out. I'm not sure I'd want MoMo here or here right away. I'm not sure MoMo would either.

He's talented for sure but St. John's is in the position to be picky in the back court.

Whatever the outcome this press is positive for St. John's. Who doesn't want to come to St. John's? Puts positive pressure to commit before someone else just as talented does.

I'd be very surprised if MoMo came to St. John's. Stranger things have happened.

OK I'll bite.

Why would you be surprised?  He said "My desire to be closer to my family, and in particular my grandmother, is the reason I am transferring."  So coming back home that would put STJ, SHU, Fordham, other local schools.  We have his old HS coach.  And I recall some quotes earlier this year where he expressed regret leaving Rice.  An immediate contributor to a freshman laden team.

So again why do you think no.

Sorry didn't see this before.

I would just be surprised because of team dynamics and how I'd envision the rotation playing out. I'm not sure I'd want MoMo here or here right away. I'm not sure MoMo would either.

He's talented for sure but St. John's is in the position to be picky in the back court.

Agreed that is why I don't think MoMo comes to SJU.  I do however think he would prefer it.

I also don't think it will necessarily be directly in the NY area or even the BE.  I could see a fit at Providence or even a school like Dayton (Archie Miller now the coach formerly at Arizona with his brother).

I also think a waiver is a reach especially for a grandmother.  Maybe for a father or mother but not for a grandmother.

crgreen

And one Elite 8.

More experiene than our entire roster combined....Nurdeen is very talented, but he's played one year of basketball in the last 3 seasons.  No offense to Stith, but a Momo/Lindsay rotation at PG gives this incoming class a chance to do something truly sepecial.  Not sure Lindsay/Stith does the same....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:31:46 AM by crgreen »

Agreed that is why I don't think MoMo comes to SJU.  I do however think he would prefer it.

I also don't think it will necessarily be directly in the NY area or even the BE.  I could see a fit at Providence or even a school like Dayton (Archie Miller now the coach formerly at Arizona with his brother).

I also think a waiver is a reach especially for a grandmother.  Maybe for a father or mother but not for a grandmother.

Some people are very close to their grandparents.  Not to mention, some are even raised by 'em.

And one Elite 8.

More experiene than our entire roster combined....Nurdeen is very talented, but he's played one year of basketball in the last 3 seasons.  No offense to Stith, but a Momo/Lindsay rotation at PG gives this incoming class a chance to do something truly sepecial.  Not sure Lindsay/Stith does the same....

Where does Stith enter the equation at all?

Lindsey/Harrison then Stith/Greene. You add MoMo into the mix surely the team is better but not sure everyone stays happy.