MoeHatten: St. John's 4eva.. Ant glover felip Lopez http://t.co/0im5zOE0pI

https://twitter.com/moehatten/status/641671345491824640

TONYD3

Re: Blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
These guys are starting to look old. I am a few years older. Kind of sucks

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »
Nice to see. Is that an old Garden floor?

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:54:46 PM »
Hatten has been tweeting trying to get a job.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 01:51:47 PM »
Nice to see. Is that an old Garden floor?
That is an old MSG floor put into the Gauchos gym in the Bronx.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »
Must be pretty cool for Felipe to get to meet Marcus Hatten.

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 10:04:07 AM »

You are pretty ridiculous a lot of the time, but nothing is more ridiculous that your complete disdain for Felipe.  Felipe is a fantastic ambassador of our school, a 4 year player who made the NBA, suffered a career ending injury, and is now doing great work in NY with young kids, and your constant poking of fun about him every chance you get is utterly absurd.  It is not his fault that the hype was way more than he probably deserved or that he didnt play with a top notch PG or perhaps that he didnt get coached well enough during his time here.  Plus its 20 years ago, man.  Get over it. How old were you when he played?  Certainly much older than would ever be OK to hold a 20 year grudge for a kid who tried his hardest for our school and graduated and is a distinguished member of our alumni.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
I have to admit i agree with Kid. Sure Felipe was suppose to be the Kevin Durant of his time but hes is a GREAT ambassador for SJU and is still involved with the school. I havent seen Ron or M Jack around these parts ever, and its probably part of the schools doing but what  did Felipe ever do besides work his butt off trying to be the best he can .

Poison

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »

You are pretty ridiculous a lot of the time, but nothing is more ridiculous that your complete disdain for Felipe.  Felipe is a fantastic ambassador of our school, a 4 year player who made the NBA, suffered a career ending injury, and is now doing great work in NY with young kids, and your constant poking of fun about him every chance you get is utterly absurd.  It is not his fault that the hype was way more than he probably deserved or that he didnt play with a top notch PG or perhaps that he didnt get coached well enough during his time here.  Plus its 20 years ago, man.  Get over it. How old were you when he played?  Certainly much older than would ever be OK to hold a 20 year grudge for a kid who tried his hardest for our school and graduated and is a distinguished member of our alumni.

I found him to be a selfish player who always expected other guys to do the heavy lifting for him. Instead of working within a system to make everyone around him a better player, he spent 3 years camped out at the 3 point waiting to dribble through 3 guys, or chuck up a rushed 3 pointer.

His career point totals are a great example of how stats lie. Sure, he averaged close to 20 per game at St.John's. But for 3 years, what those stats don't explain is just how much of his scoring came in garbage time. He'd score 19 vs Uconn, but 12 of those points came with under 5 minutes to go and the team down by 30 points.

Hatten was amazing. But he was amazing because he played the full court. He was always looking for ways to help his team win. Whether it was a steal, a rebound, a great pass or a dive for a loose ball, the guy was always ready to play. And, yes, I think that's something Felipe should admire since he rarely brought that skill set to the table.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 12:39:17 PM »
Yup Poison, it's amazing that Felipe was able to avoid a stint at Rikers for his transgressions during his 4 year career at St. John's.  ::)

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »

I found him to be a selfish player who always expected other guys to do the heavy lifting for him. Instead of working within a system to make everyone around him a better player, he spent 3 years camped out at the 3 point waiting to dribble through 3 guys, or chuck up a rushed 3 pointer.

His career point totals are a great example of how stats lie. Sure, he averaged close to 20 per game at St.John's. But for 3 years, what those stats don't explain is just how much of his scoring came in garbage time. He'd score 19 vs Uconn, but 12 of those points came with under 5 minutes to go and the team down by 30 points.

Hatten was amazing. But he was amazing because he played the full court. He was always looking for ways to help his team win. Whether it was a steal, a rebound, a great pass or a dive for a loose ball, the guy was always ready to play. And, yes, I think that's something Felipe should admire since he rarely brought that skill set to the table.

How many games did Marcus Hatten play in the NBA..?

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »

Boom.

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »

Soo Jakarr > Hatten?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »

Bootsy Thornton didn't play in the league either, and he was better than Lopez, too.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »

Soo Jakarr > Hatten?

James Scott played in the NBA. So I guess he's better than Hatten, too.

pmg911

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 12:22:38 PM »

Soo Jakarr > Hatten?

I just asked a simple question...   and it still has not been answered...

cjfish

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »
Felipe was the most overrated and disappointing player in SJU history

Johnny23

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
Felipe was a huge bust. Very difficult to watch.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 02:02:26 PM »

Soo Jakarr > Hatten?

I just asked a simple question...   and it still has not been answered...

Hatten played zero games in the NBA.

Your question, that you already knew the answer to has now been answered. But, in no manor, shape or form have you proved a point about Felipe Lopez. Making it in THE league, which is a different league than the BE, doesn't somehow magically justify a largely overrated college career. What does one thing have to do with another?

But hey, if you were fired up watching Lopez score 7 points on fast break dunks for Vancouver during a 25 point blow out loss to New Jersey, more power to ya.

I wasn't watching.

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
From Felipe's Wiki Page on his college career.  He will always be a polarizing figure based on his STJ career.   It doesn't help that he was paired with another player who faces the same scrutiny and the entire program did not meet expectations for four years:

Unrealistic expectations hounded López from the start, beginning with an appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated before he even played one college game. He also appeared along with Jim Brown and Jackie Joyner-Kersee at a conference along with then-President Bill Clinton.[2]

Though he never quite lived up to the massive hype and through-the-roof expectations heaped upon him by the fans and media, López still finished his freshman season for the newly named St. John's Red Storm by averaging 17.8 points per game, earning a spot on the All-Big East Rookie Team and All-Big East Third Team in the process. And, though his numbers dipped slightly the next two years, bottoming out at 15.9 ppg as a junior, he finished strong as a senior, averaging 17.6 ppg and garnering All-Big East First Team honors. He finished his career with 1,927 points, placing him fourth all-time in St. John's history behind former Johnnies' greats Chris Mullin, Malik Sealy, and D'Angelo Harrison and sixth in Big East history with 1,222 conference points, while also ranking seventh all time in steals, 14th in assists, and 20th in rebounds. He also holds the St. John's record for most three-pointers made in a single season (60) and in a career (148).