Mitchell Report

• 12 replies
Mitchell Report
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:17:08 PM »
I had Brian Mcnamee as a teacher while I was at St. John's and I've been saying it for a long time that Clemens and him were linked to steroids. In class he often asked us what our take on the steroid issue in baseball was and he often said that taking HGH wasn't cheating. He gave this speech which I thought was directly about Clemens when he said it.

He went on to say about how your body produces at an 8:1 rate when your 18-23 but as you age this rate drops. When you're 27 you're at 10:1 and when you're 30 you produce at a 12:1 rate 35...15:1 rate etc.

So he said if you take HGH to keep producing at that 8:1 rate is that cheating? You're not doing anything that isn't humanly possible as you stay at that 8:1 rate. He also said if you do this it would be nearly impossible to get caught if you do this right. Some guys went overboard and started producing at 4:1 rate like Jose Cansaceo he said.

Now doesn't his sound like Clemens? staying at that 8:1 rate...
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Mitchell Report
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 01:14:46 PM »
does this guy still work at st. johns?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 01:16:40 PM »
No he was only a teacher for 1 year this is dating back 2-3 years ago

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »
For some odd reason as a Yankees fan, Clemens name in the report does not suprise me.  I just doulbe checked my inkling (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/clemero02.shtml) and after the 92 season, Clemens record went downhill and when he left Boston in 1996, his record suddenly shot up to 20 wins.  I remember somebody saying in Boston (I forget who), that his career is done plus usually pitchers quality goes down from season to season after their first few years in the majors.  As a Yankees fan, I am sad to see his name in the report because he was my favorite pitcher on the team but now I guess I will have to find a new one.  I just hope that everyone involved (including Clemens) gets some form of lifetime suspension because there is no excuse to take steroids and to me, I think that this is the only way to be a future detterent.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »
i dont think that there should be anything done (from MLB) to the players that were found taking steroids before testing began.  MLB were the ones that messed up by not putting a policy in place, and they should have to live with the consequences of having a tainted era in their sport.  i certainly support people not voting mcgwire, clemens, bonds, etc into the hall of fame but MLB should not suspend them or put an asterisk on their records.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:21:59 PM »
For some odd reason as a Yankees fan, Clemens name in the report does not suprise me.  I just doulbe checked my inkling (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/clemero02.shtml) and after the 92 season, Clemens record went downhill and when he left Boston in 1996, his record suddenly shot up to 20 wins.  I remember somebody saying in Boston (I forget who), that his career is done plus usually pitchers quality goes down from season to season after their first few years in the majors.  As a Yankees fan, I am sad to see his name in the report because he was my favorite pitcher on the team but now I guess I will have to find a new one.  I just hope that everyone involved (including Clemens) gets some form of lifetime suspension because there is no excuse to take steroids and to me, I think that this is the only way to be a future detterent.

Dan Duquette is the one who said it, and was ridiculed for it.  Well he should be the one laughing now.

Clemens last 4 years in Boston aggregate:  40-36, 4.09 ERA.  Then he wins 4 more Cys after the age of 35?  This guy was the most obvious all along yet people for whatever reason didnt target him like they did Barry.  It's good he's finally getting his due as a cheater.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 04:28:17 PM »

i dont buy that. i still think that if duquette knew what he was going to do after they let him go he wouldve kept him, steroids and all. i would never do steroids but i can see why players would given the rules that were in place and the monetary rewards that come with being a good baseball player.
Dan Duquette is the one who said it, and was ridiculed for it.  Well he should be the one laughing now.

Clemens last 4 years in Boston aggregate:  40-36, 4.09 ERA.  Then he wins 4 more Cys after the age of 35?  This guy was the most obvious all along yet people for whatever reason didnt target him like they did Barry.  It's good he's finally getting his due as a cheater.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 12:40:48 AM »
clemens denies taking steroids.  his lawyer says the feds used a guy who gave names to avoid prison...and mitchell took that as evidence.  there's been no due process and no cross examination. 
i'm not saying clemens didn't roid...i'm saying if you think you're going to suspend anyone, you better be able to prove it in a court of law...otherwise you'll be in deep shit.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 08:44:30 AM »
clemens denies taking steroids.  his lawyer says the feds used a guy who gave names to avoid prison...and mitchell took that as evidence.  there's been no due process and no cross examination. 
i'm not saying clemens didn't roid...i'm saying if you think you're going to suspend anyone, you better be able to prove it in a court of law...otherwise you'll be in deep shit.

Gotta check ya on some this.

First off, baseball is private so they dont need no burden o proof like y'all got in the crimps (criminal court fo all y'all out there).

Second, Clemens refuse to interview fo the report so he turn down his chance to tell his side lockstep. His choice, yo.

Third, no need to use swear words. They may be young'uns readin this here page.

Fourth, just shows again baseball is a lesser sport cause these so-call playas get jumbo on these steroids and human growth whatever. What kinda athlete is that? Lets just see any them try runnin for 40 like they do in the true sport. They couldnt even run straight wit they fat heads all juice up bouncin round like a bobble-head.  Tru.

-Choz4Life
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Tha Kid

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 09:44:38 AM »

i dont buy that. i still think that if duquette knew what he was going to do after they let him go he wouldve kept him, steroids and all. i would never do steroids but i can see why players would given the rules that were in place and the monetary rewards that come with being a good baseball player.

The point is, how would Duquette know he was going to do roids?  He accurately assessed Clemens' naturally talent and decline, and CHEATING made Duquette wrong.  He should be standing tall today with that decision.
"I drink and I know things"

Randomhero423

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 04:31:18 PM »
i can't stand clemens so i'm happy to see him on this list.  it just proves i was right all along.. (maddux > clemens in the 90's). 

this report was pretty stupid.  they barly proved anything with solid facts (getting heresay from shady characters).  and although it was 75 guys that's not a lot at all.  selig gave mitchell 25 million for this report and it was not worth that much at all.

this was prob only a 1/10 of the players who did it.

kinda funny to see todd pratt on the list though.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 04:38:15 PM »
who is to say maddux wasn't juicing? If you use the argument he isn't a power pitcher etc look at Petitte as no one would have thought he was. Steroids/HGH could have extended Maddux's career. Baseball is truly tainted in this era

Randomhero423

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
i just doubt maddux/glav/smoltz did any of it.  i think they should just call 85-05 the steroid era and move on.  let 'em in the HOF if they got the numbers.