Yakwe Eligible!!

• 129 replies

Marillac

Re: Yakwe Eligible!!
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »
The NCAA is ridiculous.  This poor kid loses six games and at least two scrimmages (assume they had a closed scrimmage as well) and now has to use the next month of his season to catch up to the rest of the players in the country.  8-9 competitions is a big deal for a freshman big that was green to begin with.  He's probably getting 2nd team reps in practice and less attention as well. 

OSNA puts a half-dozen kids in D-1 ball every year.  They have had plenty of time to review the school and the courses.

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2015, 05:06:41 PM »
It really comes down to how improved the staff thinks he will be next year with 25 games * 15 mpg worth of experience vs. the potential of a him being a very experienced part of a nasty team four seasons from now.  This will very likely be a bubble team next year and maybe the 3/4's of  a season's worth of experience and building chemistry puts the team on the right side off the bubble?

One interesting consideration is that redshirting him for the rest of this year essentially eliminates the risk of him transferring the following three seasons since he would lose a year of eligibility by doing so.  The 5th year grad-transfer would still be fair game, but that exception doesn't look likely to be around four years from now.  Yakwe has expressed his willingness to prep or redshirt this season to work on his game and at 6'7 he's not a threat to go to the NBA early unless he just becomes insanely good and that would be  win for both sides.

I don't think there is a wrong move here, and I trust the staff completely.

Pretty much my thoughts, just stated in a much more articulate manner

MCNPA

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
You absolutely play him if he's eligible.  The experience of the season is what will season m much more than earning a year back.  Even if he missed a few games, his experience will be invaluable towards the next three seasons after that.  Forget sitting him.  Season just started.  Get him grinding this season and he will be much more ready next season.

Poison

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »
Why would anyone want to prolong this kid's success and the team's overall development by red shirting him? That's a terrible idea. Yea, he's raw, but so is everyone. The point is to see how much they can all improve this season so that when LoVett and Ponds are able to play with us, we will have some continuity.

TONYD3

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2015, 05:21:30 PM »
Play him! Anyone who thinks different just likes pain. He is good. Not amazing. In 3 years after he has had a great career. We will get another player.

cjfish

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2015, 05:22:22 PM »
Must play him this year, needs the experience.  Not worried about 2 or 3 years down the line because, based on their performance so far, Mullin and Co will recruit plenty of players to fill in any gaps.  Next year will be a pivotal year and he needs the PT now.

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2015, 05:22:57 PM »
Play him.  It's impossible to plan 4 seasons out, but with the way this team is being built, and with continued success on the recruiting trail, I'd fully anticipate having a suitable replacement for Yakwe 4 years from now. 

The scramble ends beginning next season, and it would be great to be competitive at the highest level at that time.  Getting Yakwe comfortable with the speed and physicality of the game in an otherwise lost season accelerates future stability and success.

ras

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2015, 05:27:53 PM »
Unless he wants to redshirt. Play him. Will help this year and make him a better player next year. We don't have to worry about 4 years from now. We can recruit someone else .Even though this year is a total rebuild. I would like us to be somewhat competitive. Getting our butts kicked this year isn't gong to help w recruiting. And if there is one area we really need to improve on, it's defense.

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »
It also allows us to see which forward is the future odd man out.  In the event we get both Ahmed and Freudenberg, someone is reasonably likely to transfer.

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »
I wanted to sit him. Bring more balance to scholarships.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
I wanted to sit him. Bring more balance to scholarships.
People leave early , transfer , etc.  plus he is our only PF in this class.

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »
Play him without a doubt....SJU will reload!!

Poison

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
We had 6 players today. It's possible that we'll have 6 players for our next game. How much are the young guys going to learn if they are in addition to being overmatched in terms of talent, but they are exhausted as well. If you're a St.John's fan, you want this kid eligible ASAP.

Moose

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »
If he was going to red shirt wouldn't they have said it already?  I mean they knew this was a possibility. They aren't clueless and didn't think of the chances. The fact they didn't say anything means he's playing to me
Remember who broke the Slice news

goredmen

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2015, 05:54:02 PM »
If he was going to red shirt wouldn't they have said it already?  I mean they knew this was a possibility. They aren't clueless and didn't think of the chances. The fact they didn't say anything means he's playing to me

Yep based on the post game quotes from the staff when asked about it and Brazille's tweets, sounds like he will play this year

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:07 PM »
So if he doesn't stay in college 4 years then no purpose of red shirting. I'm pretty sure the staff had 0 hope for him to become eligible this year.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Johnny23

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2015, 06:15:56 PM »
You have to play him. It's only 6 games into the season. He will have shaken off the rust by the time BE play really gets going in January. Addresses a huge need in the front court.

goredmen

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
You have to play him. It's only 6 games into the season. He will have shaken off the rust by the time BE play really gets going in January. Addresses a huge need in the front court.

But again, this is not about this year. We won't accomplish anything anyway this year. I understand the game experience for next year argument but if we are doing this just because we need him this year, it's stupid

TONYD3

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »
It is about this year. Let's win some games.

paultzman

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2015, 06:33:25 PM »
@Yankusima: Great win to finish this trip! And could not be happier for my man @KassoumYakwe  because he got cleared by the NCAA, he deserved it!! 🏀🔴⚪

Sima has so much class"