Yakwe Eligible!!

• 129 replies
Re: Yakwe Eligible!!
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »
To quote Herm Edwards: You play to win the game.

goredmen

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »
It is about this year. Let's win some games.

How many more games do you think we win with Yakwe this year than we would without him? Do you think we have a chance at being .500?

Marillac

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2015, 06:45:55 PM »
@Yankusima: Great win to finish this trip! And could not be happier for my man @KassoumYakwe  because he got cleared by the NCAA, he deserved it!! 🏀🔴⚪

Sima has so much class"

Future captain no doubt.  Have to love the bear hug he gave Mussini at the end of the first half after Mussini went on that 3-pt barrage.

Marillac

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »

You are the only one that could possibly feel this way.  Yakwe MAYBE adds a win or two this year. 

paultzman

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2015, 06:47:23 PM »
@Yankusima: Great win to finish this trip! And could not be happier for my man @KassoumYakwe  because he got cleared by the NCAA, he deserved it!! 🏀🔴⚪

Sima has so much class"

Future captain no doubt.  Have to love the bear hug he gave Mussini at the end of the first half after Mussini went on that 3-pt barrage.

+100

Johnny23

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »
You have to play him. It's only 6 games into the season. He will have shaken off the rust by the time BE play really gets going in January. Addresses a huge need in the front court.

But again, this is not about this year. We won't accomplish anything anyway this year. I understand the game experience for next year argument but if we are doing this just because we need him this year, it's stupid

It's game experience and based on this staff's ability to recruit, we're going to probably be targeting 4 and 5 star prospects in 3 years so we'll need the scholly after Yakwe has a nice career. If this team isn't competing at a high level in 3 years, then that's a whole other discussion.

ras

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »

You are the only one that could possibly feel this way.  Yakwe MAYBE adds a win or two this year. 
. He will also be much better next year w a year under his belt.Even if you throw this year away, I want to make some noise next year. Also if by some miracle we get Lovett and our kids get healthy, we may be better this year than people think.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:56:03 PM by ras »

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2015, 07:00:05 PM »
We are short handed.   Got to play him.  Let him develop rapport with Sima and get to used to Big East competition.  I'm more worried about being competitive next year and 2 years from now than 4.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
Mussini at SG if Lovett is eligible would be scary.

goredmen

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »
You have to play him. It's only 6 games into the season. He will have shaken off the rust by the time BE play really gets going in January. Addresses a huge need in the front court.

But again, this is not about this year. We won't accomplish anything anyway this year. I understand the game experience for next year argument but if we are doing this just because we need him this year, it's stupid

It's game experience and based on this staff's ability to recruit, we're going to probably be targeting 4 and 5 star prospects in 3 years so we'll need the scholly after Yakwe has a nice career. If this team isn't competing at a high level in 3 years, then that's a whole other discussion.

I do not mind the experience argument, I'm just saying that wanting him to suit up now because we need him this year just defies logic

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2015, 08:18:16 PM »
The NCAA is ridiculous.  This poor kid loses six games and at least two scrimmages (assume they had a closed scrimmage as well) and now has to use the next month of his season to catch up to the rest of the players in the country.  8-9 competitions is a big deal for a freshman big that was green to begin with.  He's probably getting 2nd team reps in practice and less attention as well. 

OSNA puts a half-dozen kids in D-1 ball every year.  They have had plenty of time to review the school and the courses.

Schools are allowed a total of two closed scrimmages or exhibition games so fact we played 2 exhibitions means we did not opt to have a closed scrimmage.

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »

I do not mind the experience argument, I'm just saying that wanting him to suit up now because we need him this year just defies logic

Dude, we're shorthanded due to the injuries and LoVett being ineligle.  Why wear out the players because you feel it's a lost season?  I'm sure the staff will be looking for a replacement in another two years, whether he's redshirted or not. 

I also feel we're gonna struggle with or without Yakwe, but he adds much needed depth, and he'll actually be able to help the team.  Although, it's a rebuilding season, you still want to win games.  You don't automatically concede the season by saying, "Well, we aren't gonna be any good this year, so we're gonna redshirt you til next season."  Allow the young man to play, and get his feet wet.  It'll benefit him next season with the experience he'll get this season. 

As, Paultz stated, it's a moot point, as he'll be playing in our next game. 

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2015, 08:33:26 PM »

Dude, we're shorthanded due to the injuries and LoVett being ineligle.  Why wear out the players because you feel it's a lost season?  I'm sure the staff will be looking for a replacement in another two years, whether he's redshirted or not. 

I also feel we're gonna struggle with or without Yakwe, but he adds much needed depth, and he'll actually be able to help the team.  Although, it's a rebuilding season, you still want to win games.  You don't automatically concede the season by saying, "Well, we aren't gonna be any good this year, so we're gonna redshirt you til next season."  Allow the young man to play, and get his feet wet.  It'll benefit him next season with the experience he'll get this season. 

Wearing out the players isn't a consideration.  These kids can pay three games a day at this age and we have four guys that can play the four and five when Williams is healthy.
He's right.  This season is not the question.  Wins and losses don't matter.  If the staff chooses to play Yakwe this year it will because they think that the experience will make him and us better in a meaningful season next year.  It's a tough call, but there is no wrong choice. 

« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2015, 08:34:49 PM »
Steve Harvey: "Pass or Play?"

Yakwe: "I'll play!"

goredmen

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »

But we aren't going to win games this year even if he plays. He adds one more win at most. If people want him to play this year to get some game experience going into next year thats very understandable. However, wanting him to play this year just because he might help us win 11 games instead of 10 makes no sense.

Poison

« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2015, 09:19:37 PM »

Wearing out the players isn't a consideration.  These kids can pay three games a day at this age and we have four guys that can play the four and five when Williams is healthy.
He's right.  This season is not the question.  Wins and losses don't matter.  If the staff chooses to play Yakwe this year it will because they think that the experience will make him and us better in a meaningful season next year.  It's a tough call, but there is no wrong choice. 

If they have endless energy why didn't they close out on shooters on this trip?

goredmen

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »

Again, you said what I was thinking in a way more articulate manner than I can. That was another thing I wanted to bring up. These kids can play 35 minutes per game and that won't have a fatigue type affect on them later in the season. They play 2 or 3 games a day in AAU in the summer in high school and have to play in 3 or 4 days in a row during conference tournaments (which we will be 1 and done on anyway this year). Running the current players into the ground shouldn't be taken into consideration.

However, I do think that there probably is a right or wrong choice but it's almost impossible to know which one it is at this point. That will be decided a couple years down the road

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2015, 09:25:36 PM »
All this redshirt talk is silly. Play your best players now.  Dont overthink.

Poison

« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »

I feel this way, too. There may be 30-40 STJ fans who love this program and are willing accept that we can get our butts kicked all over the place this year, but recruits for 16-17 which isn't finished certainly won't. And they shouldn't. You want top talent to come here? They need to see what they would be committing to be a part of. If you think that people outside of STJ season tickets holders give a shit that Mullin is starting over, you're looking through rose colored glasses. A terrible season means you're a terrible team. Most recruits who are on the fence won't stop to consider how an 8 win team is on the right track.

Think Rawlie would consider picking us if we don't have some kind of a foundation in place for next year?

You play Yakwe because the point is to win games, and he can help you win them. That's the first reason you play him. Who gives a shit what the other reason is?

I love this 5th year talk. Hysterical. Be grateful that you can have him here for one year.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:39:58 PM by Poison »

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2015, 09:56:03 PM »

I don't think it does defy logic.  First of all, we have four years to fill that ship for 2019-20.  If we're not recruiting on a high level by then, we're in trouble anyway.  We need him now.  What if you are losing all your games by one or two points.  A good player off the bench can put you over the top for several more victories in those games.  You play to win.

Secondly, the argument that we're not very good this year, so why not redshirt him, could be made for any player.  So why not redshirt Ellison, and Williams, even if they're healthy?  Williams has already missed four games (if you count Rutgers 4mins.)  Why not redshirt him?  You don't, because you have several years to fill that ship.  Not being competitive in games hurts your recruiting efforts, now.  I wasn't happy with the Vandy blowout because you don't like to lose like that, but also because of the recruiting angle.  Don't you think Stallings is going to used that when he talks to Freudenberg this year?  Consistent beat downs don't make you look good.  It provides negative recruiting material for you're competitors.  They could say, "How can you be sure that they can get it together".