Guard Play

• 44 replies

isham

Guard Play
« on: December 20, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
You can't win with guards who can't run a fast break, can't use the dribble to get into the paint, can't get the ball into the bigs, and have trouble with the press. As we all know Lovett would make a big difference.  The coaching staff needs to do better to work on these deficiencies.

Re: Guard Play
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 03:06:20 PM »
Agree with the stated needs but the remaining available options are limited

Think Elijah Holifield and Abdul Dial will fare much better ?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:42:42 PM by RedStormNC »

cjfish

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »
I think I would give Holifield a shot in a blowout.  Anyone see him practice etc.?

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »
Can't run a fast break when you don't get stops.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 04:37:43 PM »
i dont want to crap on mussini, but his D closing out is really bad

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 06:08:20 PM »

That applies to every single player on the roster not name Yakwe.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 06:10:18 PM »
You can't win with guards who can't run a fast break, can't use the dribble to get into the paint, can't get the ball into the bigs, and have trouble with the press. As we all know Lovett would make a big difference.  The coaching staff needs to do better to work on these deficiencies.

We've got a one-man fastbreak in Lovett waiting and another, Ponds, signed, plus a Ferrari ready to pop to play SF.  It's just a matter of patience at this point. 

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 09:23:39 AM »

My favorite player on team pending Lovett coming on Jan 23rd.
That being said he is the worst defensive guard I have ever seen which is why if Lovett is ever eligible and Ponds shows up next year, Mussini will come off bench

paultzman

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »
As has been stated often, college hoops is a guard's game on both ends of the court. Sans LoVett, we just lack a guard cadre that can blow by guys or defend on the ball effectively. Hopefully we will see continued, measured improvement from Ellison & Mussini, the normal trajectory for most freshmen. (although neither is fleet of foot).

I would expect LoVett to positively impact this deficit, but please don't expect Allen Iverson out of the gate. If he plays, to me success is the three of these kids playing well collectively & individually by season's end. Selfishly, getting LoVett potentially gives me something to enjoy in the trying season I expected.

derk

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »

That being said he is the worst defensive guard I have ever seen which is why if Lovett is ever eligible and Ponds shows up next year, Mussini will come off bench

He's slow of foot, can't jump, and his passes are telegraphed which is not unexpected when you're playing out of position on a young inexperienced team. Patience yes, but it's difficult to watch. But the kid try's like hell.. What are you going to do.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:32:10 AM by derk »

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »

He's slow of foot, can't jump, and his passes are telegraphed which is not unexpected when you're playing out of position on a young inexperienced team. Patience yes, but it's difficult to watch. But the kid try's like hell.. What are you going to do.

That is the annoying part with Mussini is that he is not an attentive defender and at the minimum put your hand up. He jogs out at shooters who are open because he is looking around and then doesn't close well or put his hands up. With the back doors again it is concentration because he is clearly not overplaying his man to cause the backdoor.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:42:01 AM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »
Lazy European.......................
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
Lazy European.......................

Nothing to do with any kind of prejudice. I like Mussini and enjoy watching him. I am usually pretty forgiving of bad defenders. Some of my favorite Johnnies were bad defenders for one reason or another:
Mullin, Berry, Jackson, Larry Wright. Mussini is bringing it to another level though.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »

That is the annoying part with Mussini is that he is not an attentive defender and at the minimum put your hand up. He jogs out at shooters who are open because he is looking around and then doesn't close well or put his hands up. With the back doors again it is concentration because he is clearly not overplaying his man to cause the backdoor.

He's putting his hand up to wave. Not to defend. It's like he's afraid to make contact. Johnson taught him how to do that. Johnson also taught him how to pick up two technical fouls (luckily, they weren't called) 't one game by acting like a punk. So, for those that think this new group is a refreshing change from where we were, he's not only a ball hog, but he deserved to be t'd up twice yesterday.

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »
I don't think Mussini is as bad as a defender as some are making him out to be. I think the team defensively is lost and think that has to do with none of the coaches being defensive minds. Too many times guys are out of position, over committing, going under on screens, etc. There is no consistency.

This combined with empty offensive possessions leads to deficits.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »
I don't think Mussini is as bad as a defender as some are making him out to be. I think the team defensively is lost and think that has to do with none of the coaches being defensive minds. Too many times guys are out of position, over committing, going under on screens, etc. There is no consistency.

This combined with empty offensive possessions leads to deficits.

He is constantly turning his head and never knows where he should be. Might be worst defender I have seen since I have been a fan. Again for me to complain about defense, especially from a player I like.... well lets just say it is really, really bad.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 11:36:27 AM »
Part of the problem is guys are constantly getting beat off the dribble and help defenders are sort of getting caught in between staying on their man and helping. They are going half way which then causes them to not only not offer any help but also lose their own man.

boo3

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 12:58:49 PM »
6 coaches and none can coach defense?  Impressive

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »
6 coaches and none can coach defense?  Impressive

If the team had more talent you would start to sit Mussini. Unfortunately he is greatly needed on offense

derk

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 01:52:37 PM »

That's what happens when you play 40 minutes a game at 160 pounds.