NCAA vs. Europe

• 25 replies
NCAA vs. Europe
« on: July 08, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/08/sports/basketball/08hoops.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

Lance to Europe?

Seems like a viable option for some of these guys...but I wonder how much the Euro teams are going to invest (time/money) in a guy they get for one year.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: NCAA vs. Europe
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:27:10 PM »
i don't know if it's a matter of investment.  lance would be a lottery pick out of high school.

it's a bit much to ask an 18 year old kid to go to europe and leave his support system behind.  it's a long way from home.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:40:48 PM »
looks like Jennings is definitely going...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3479195

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:16:12 AM »
There is a chance this could hurt their stock if they don't fare as well in Europe. There is no guarantee that they are going to light it up over there playing against established professionals. Also who knows what league they will play in which could help/hinder stock as well. If they play in a pretty good but not the best league and do average there it will throw up a lot of caution flags to GMs. If he does average in euro league well thats a different story.

Also how will these kids who aren't bright enough to continue their education handle living in a foreign country with little supervision? College you have so many people helping you from academic advisors, coaches, deans, etc. What will they have in Europe, Phil Messere's grandma roommate?

There are so many potential things that could go wrong in Europe that would be avoided by going to class and attending school.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:49:38 AM »
It's an interesting debate.  You could say the same about college...there is no guarantee they are going to light it up but in Europe at least they've received some kind of payday.

As far as supervision the players can bring their parents with them for a year...

Pros:
 -Payday (I wonder how much the Euro teams will invest on a high school kid they'll only get for a year.)
 -Don't have to deal with NCAA
 -Get a chance to spend a year overseas.

Cons:
 -No college degree
 -Less exposure...for US endorsement deals

I think the age limit thing is bogus.  If an NBA team wants to draft an 18 year old high schooler and wait 3 years for him then let them.  I wonder if the NBA minds this...maybe they think this will help them continue to go global by using the Euro League as a minor league.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
Cons:
 -No college degree
 -Less exposure...for US endorsement deals

I think the age limit thing is bogus.  If an NBA team wants to draft an 18 year old high schooler and wait 3 years for him then let them.  I wonder if the NBA minds this...maybe they think this will help them continue to go global by using the Euro League as a minor league.

a degree? puleezzee, he aint getting one.

if the us can send an 18 yo to war with a license to kill, there is no reason for this 1 year rule...

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »
Just my opion, but I think Europe is a really bad idea.

Europeans play a very different style of game. Older Players over seas are not going to like this kid dribbling and dominating the ball.

He also will not speak the language.

Age, Style and Language issues will compound each other.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »
it's a bit much to ask an 18 year old kid to go to europe and leave his support system behind.  it's a long way from home.

Good point. The lack of a support system was probably one of the main reasons that World Wars I and II were so unpopular amongst teens. Perhaps the Euro leagues could start a USO, so the basketball players don't get lonely. Too bad Bob Hope's dead, he'd have been perfect.

sjd8886

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
ok guys, i'm glad this kid is considering us...but he's also considering moving to europe and going into the army...maybe the only reason we're in the running for this kid is bc hes slightly insane

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 01:01:27 PM »

Good point. The lack of a support system was probably one of the main reasons that World Wars I and II were so unpopular amongst teens. Perhaps the Euro leagues could start a USO, so the basketball players don't get lonely. Too bad Bob Hope's dead, he'd have been perfect.

when you go overseas to fight a war, you have a whole support system with you.  plus everybody speaks the same language.  you can also get into the kind of trouble that could come back and haunt a teenage basketball player and no one gives a crap.

forget the college degree.  the incentive to graduate high school won't be there.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:13:56 PM »
a degree? puleezzee, he aint getting one.

if the us can send an 18 yo to war with a license to kill, there is no reason for this 1 year rule...

agreed...most of these kids could careless about a degree...the language barrier and college degree are easily outweighed by the money they can make.

the age limit is a bad rule but I also don't see this Euro trend gaining any steam for several reasons...

1) What incentive does a Euro team have in paying an 18 year old for one year of service when they most likely won't be good enough to help the upper echelon teams in Europe win?  Initially its a gimmick they can promote but I think that will fade quickly.  If the NBA decides to raise the age limit even higher than I can see this as an alternative.

2) I think kids can make better names for themselves in college than they can in the Euro League.  Kids will end up falling off the radar over there.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 01:14:59 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 01:20:38 PM »
they will still need to register for the NBA draft after a year.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 08:10:21 PM »
One big reason that the Euros don't send their best here anymore is the 20 hour rule that the NCAA imposed on athletes practicing under the coaches.

When your are a young and developing talent, who wants to have their kid come to USA to only practice 20 hrs on the profession that will make them millions. Yeah, they can practice and shoot on their own, but after the 1992 Olympics, most of the European countries started to build and fund basketball academies where their best talent can stay home and work out 6-8 hrs per day all year long to improve their skills. They attend about 2 hours of academic class a day.

We started this trend in the 70's with the now famous Nick Bolataeri (sp ?) tennis centers in Fla. Any young kid with talent goes there and trains with pro coaches to improve their skills. No major tennis person goes to USA colleges anymore to play tennis. It's filled with foreigners who played in that system growing up and now use us for a college degree. Same with the Bella Karoli gymnastic centers. Patterned after his Romanian training camps. He would laugh at our NCAA 20 hour rule if your looking at gold medals.

I don't see why we don't scrap our system of having kids go to college for one year only to go pro. Why not let them go directly to D-League to improve like we have the minor league for baseball. Then when they are ready, bring them up to the NBA. Invite all D leaguers and NBA'er to training camp together who are under contract.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
It will be interesting to see if this works out for Jennings will others follow in the future.

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
the kids in europe already have agents when they're in their teens.  that's forbidden by ncaa rules...except baseball players can have agents.  go figure.

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
High school kids CANNOT sign with an agent and then go to a Div 1 institution to play baseball. Once you sign with an agent in any sport you lose your amateur status. You can have an ADVISER but not an agent.

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/07/10/DONT_WORRY_ABOUT_OVERSEAS_DEFECTIONS

For anyone who is concerned about losing guys like Brandon Jennings and other potential elite players in college basketball, don’t be.

Remember, college basketball did just fine even when guys like LeBron, Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudemire were making the jump directly to the NBA.

There’s only three kinds of kids who are going to consider Europe:

1) The trend-setter (i.e. Brandon Jennings)
2) Those who don’t have the grades
3) Those who don’t want to go to school.

No one is going to miss Renardo Sidney or Lance Stephenson if they elect to follow Jennings and opt for the overseas route. Would we really have missed Davon Jefferson?  Or even O.J. Mayo?  In fact, college basketball may be better served if those who don’t want to go to school just bolt for the money.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 09:57:05 PM »
Players should have a run at the money, like tennis players, baseball players etc. If you are truely skilled like Stoudemire, Howard and LeBron then go get paid! Who needs the NCAA.....Oh I forgot the mandatory one year. Some player (a select few) don't need college. It's crazy that they are forced to do the one year.

pmg911

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:19 AM »

I agree here completely..

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 10:56:48 PM »
why does no one make a big deal out of the NFL being 2 years?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle