St. Benedicts vs. Oak Hill Tonight on ESPN

• 20 replies
St. Benedicts vs. Oak Hill Tonight on ESPN
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
St. Benedicts will play Oak Hill at 9:00 tonight on ESPN.  Oak Hill features Brandon "DooBeDoo" Jennings, IMO the #1 senior in the nation.  St. Benedicts has Samardo Smauels, also 1 of the top senior in the country heading to Louisville next year, Greg Echenique who is a high major big man along with former st. mary's guard scott machado and jr guard tamir jackson
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Re: St. Benedicts vs. Oak Hill Tonight on ESPN
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 12:56:28 PM »
Brandon Jennings is a the real deal....should be a good game.

NJ High school hoops > NY High school Hoops
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 01:14:05 PM »
Brandon Jennings is a the real deal....should be a good game.

NJ High school hoops > NY High school Hoops

samardo samuels is from jamaica the country and lives in queens. scott machado is from north carolina.  lance goulbourne who goes to the hun school and bound for vanderbilt is from brooklyn. corey fisher is from the bronx. 

i can go on and on about this
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 01:15:54 PM »
go on about what?

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
about how and why people think that NJ hoops is better than NY hoops.  there are some very good players frm NJ dont get me wrong but they benefit from being the state between philly and nyc.

also, i forgot to note that former bishop loughlin bigman and SJU target dan jennings plays for oak hill

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 01:29:49 PM »
NJ benefits from being in between nyc and philly? you're reaching.

St. Anthony's, St. Patricks, and CBA not to mention all the prep schools. There are some good publics school teams too.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 01:53:16 PM »
linden and st. anthonys are two of the best coached teams ive ever seen. CBA is good but i think would get beat by most of the chsaa teams and the upper echelon psal teams.

by the way, this year there are 5 NYC-area schools in the espn top 25: mt. vernon, rice, st. raymond's, christ the king and lincoln.  most of NJ's talent is in those top 3 schools

st pats gets plenty of kids from pa and nyc. one of their best fresmen, shaquille stokes, is from nyc. greg echnique is from venezuela.  marcus and markieff morris, who go to school in jersey, are from PA. st. anthony's kids are all from jersey city or the jersey city area.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 02:21:10 PM »
So you're saying they come to NJ because the basketball in NJ is better, right?

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 02:29:10 PM »
no im saying that when you and many other well-informed but not fully-informed people say that nj basketball has overtaken ny basketball, you should take into account that many of those "nj ballers" are actually from ny or elsewhere.  if we were to rank basketball states based on where kids go to school, then connecticut would be one of the top because of the wealth of talent in prep schools.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »
I was really just joking around because I knew you would get all uptight and start spitting out name after name til it got to the point where you pull out the I'm around basketball card which is fair to point. I think you can make a case for each state and it could be debated to no end with no real winner. I think the best possible outcome is to say that both have a wealth of basketball talent.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 10:29:55 PM »
i love being right. tamir jackson, who ive said for about a year now is under rated nationally, has had a phenomenal 2nd half tonight.

Randomhero423

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 11:04:01 PM »
what year is he?

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 11:41:56 PM »
hes a junior. probably a bit more of a 2 guard but tonight he did show some flashes of good PG abilities such as ability to break oak hills press and made a few great plays against the zone.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:55 AM »
Aint no way Jersey better than NYC. Some year, maybe. But overall it just aint the way. Too many country clubbers wit they lawns, Friday night football game and big mamba jamba malls. Kids mo interested in Banana Repubs than ball.

They got theyselves so good grams ova there no doubt. Sides, Jersey C like the sixth boro when you got the PATH. St. Anthony, Marist, Teaneck, Linden, CBA, PC, Eastside, JFK, Camden all got hardcore ballas, but then it dip mighty.

Y'all just cant compare the concrete to the grass 'cause ball is on our blood. So is the hunger.  NYC!

-Choz4Life

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 09:40:12 AM »
no doubt. big game tonight choz, you goin to ctk-st. rays? sold out gym so if you dont have a ticket i suggest you pull some of those strings to get yourself in tonight it should be crazy on st. raymonds ave!!!

ive got st rays by 5 but wouldnt be too surprised if ctk came into their house and beat em

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »
Choz, what you think about Westchester ball?  Got some players in Mount Vernon, Peekskill, White Plains, NewRo...even Port Chester's got a pretty legit kid, and you gotta love that tourney they have at CYP every year...
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 10:51:19 AM »
no doubt. big game tonight choz, you goin to ctk-st. rays? sold out gym so if you dont have a ticket i suggest you pull some of those strings to get yourself in tonight it should be crazy on st. raymonds ave!!!

ive got st rays by 5 but wouldnt be too surprised if ctk came into their house and beat em

Would love to, yo, but work calls tonight.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 11:01:34 AM »
Choz, what you think about Westchester ball?  Got some players in Mount Vernon, Peekskill, White Plains, NewRo...even Port Chester's got a pretty legit kid, and you gotta love that tourney they have at CYP every year...

What up kid?
Westchester has the best ball of all them burbs outside NYC. It better than Nassau or Suffolk. It better than Hudson 'cause it seem all the talent in two grams there: St. Anthony and Marist. It better than Bergen and Rockland cause they is both football 24/7. Essex got its own thing wit Newark and I dont even count St. Benies cause that is prep. Passaic got itself some teams specially PC (shout out to Jimmy Salmon and TT Playaz) but it drop off too quick.

Mount Vernon is historic. One of the best grams in the entire state fo like decades now. White Plains is a public power so is New Roch.  Peeks is way out there, but then they got theyselves a roster that make some y'all blush wit Elton, Hilton and now Mook. Those grams would compete evry year in the CHSAA and wipe out a lot of the PSAL.

Tha Kid

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 11:25:37 AM »

What up kid?
Westchester has the best ball of all them burbs outside NYC. It better than Nassau or Suffolk. It better than Hudson 'cause it seem all the talent in two grams there: St. Anthony and Marist. It better than Bergen and Rockland cause they is both football 24/7. Essex got its own thing wit Newark and I dont even count St. Benies cause that is prep. Passaic got itself some teams specially PC (shout out to Jimmy Salmon and TT Playaz) but it drop off too quick.

Mount Vernon is historic. One of the best grams in the entire state fo like decades now. White Plains is a public power so is New Roch.  Peeks is way out there, but then they got theyselves a roster that make some y'all blush wit Elton, Hilton and now Mook. Those grams would compete evry year in the CHSAA and wipe out a lot of the PSAL.

Glad to see some respect for Westchester...it's funny they got some good programs but then they have the typical suburb programs that get spanked every which way.  When I was an 8th grader (went to public HS, but not a big bball school) our varisyt team played Peekskill...our center was prob 6'2 190.  Elton was doing 360 dunks off the inbounds from 2 feet over these guys.  After the game, our varisty team went with pencils and paper to get Elton's autograph.  It was pretty funny. 

It's strange that peekskill's so good bein so far out there but they really have built a legit program with high D-1 and NBA talent...they got a kid, Ralph Watts, transferred from Lakeland recently too to go with Mook who is a real solid baller, gotta watch out for Peek this year.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 11:50:01 AM »
i go to cyp every year yea it is a great tourny. 

mt vernon is one of the best public schools in the country (i dont even know if i count lincoln and boys & girls and psal teams as public schools cause they can recruit easily. not saying that vt vernon doesnt recruit though). white plains is one of, if not the best coached team in NY state and peekskill has had tons of success on the class a level as well.  mt vernon succeeds because of their system and community and what type of community theyre in.  they border the bronx but theyre a working class town which means that for the most part the kids that grow up there come from good up-bringings.  theyve also had a ton of support from the community in everything that they do.  probably the biggest reason that theyve had success though is their Junior Knights feeder system which allows them to be taught the basketball system that they run starting in 3rd grade.  this means that these kids play together for 5 or 6 years before they even get to high school so they're wayyyyyyyy ahead of the curve than anyone and everyone else.