Slice

• 512 replies

paultzman

Re: Slice
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2016, 09:33:17 AM »
Maybe this can play out Miller to Pittsburgh ACC conference better than PAC-12

The only thing that he might take the job is Arizona  has a great recruiting class.

Just say Miller to Pitt and Slice follows Dixon to TCU

Maybe Chris can convince booker to come to SJU

Perhaps the other Miller.

Gotta think Pitt takes a look at Kevin Willard

You really think the fan base and the administration ran a coach who went to 13 NCAA's in 15 years out of town to hire Kevin Willard? 

They would burn the city down if that happened.

Not to mention KW's father had a less than satisfying
Maybe this can play out Miller to Pittsburgh ACC conference better than PAC-12

The only thing that he might take the job is Arizona  has a great recruiting class.

Just say Miller to Pitt and Slice follows Dixon to TCU

Maybe Chris can convince booker to come to SJU

Perhaps the other Miller.

Gotta think Pitt takes a look at Kevin Willard

You really think the fan base and the administration ran a coach who went to 13 NCAA's in 15 years out of town to hire Kevin Willard? 

They would burn the city down if that happened.

As we've proved, fans are nice persons. 

What have you done for me lately society

Oh I agree but there is no way that the fan base would tolerate the hiring of Kevin Willard after what they essentially just pushed out the door. 

Archie makes the most sense but evidently there is some bad blood with the Millers and Pitt.

This job search may be similar to the Virginia job a few years ago and Oregon a few years ago as well in the sense that it has a feel of an outside the box hire.  In other words when Tony Bennett was hired from Washington St at UVA and when Oregon struck out with Izzo and Dixon and Billy Donovan with all of that NIKE money and instead settled for Dana Altman at Creighton many shook their heads at those hires.  Not bad coaches but did not seem to be the right fit.

I could see something like that at Pitt.  Someone from out West maybe.

Guy from out West makes sense. Present AD has worked out there a substantial period of time.

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2016, 09:37:16 AM »
We need to watch Ben Howland

Wods317

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
Pitt is an awful job in the new ACC.

Awful?

No awful is Rutgers, awful does not describe a program that went to 15 NCAA's in 17 years including 2 number 1 seeds, and several 2 ,3 seeds.  It is not the best job but it is not even close to awful.

The job is far from awful but I also think it is a much tougher job then it was say 5 years ago. It seems like Pitt has settled into the middle of the ACC not at the top as it was in the Big East. I think that is a large reason Dixon left because he knew the job was more difficult then ever recruiting and competing against the monster teams in the ACC. Could a big name coach make it a destination again? Yea sure.

« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2016, 10:20:11 AM »

Awful?

No awful is Rutgers, awful does not describe a program that went to 15 NCAA's in 17 years including 2 number 1 seeds, and several 2 ,3 seeds.  It is not the best job but it is not even close to awful.

The job is far from awful but I also think it is a much tougher job then it was say 5 years ago. It seems like Pitt has settled into the middle of the ACC not at the top as it was in the Big East. I think that is a large reason Dixon left because he knew the job was more difficult then ever recruiting and competing against the monster teams in the ACC. Could a big name coach make it a destination again? Yea sure.

That's fair.  It is a upper middle ACC job. 

But AWFUL, no way.  It has got great facilities, terrific support and a recent run of success.

Awful is RUTGERS.  Awful is missing the NCAA Tourney 25 straight years, missing the NIT for a full decade and not sniffing a .500 league record in forever.  That is AWFUL.

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2016, 10:29:58 AM »
Awful is RUTGERS.  Awful is missing the NCAA Tourney 25 straight years, missing the NIT for a full decade and not sniffing a .500 league record in forever.  That is AWFUL.

Wow.  This makes me feel better about our state of awfulness.  Proof that no matter how bad things are, someone has it even worse.

Tha Kid

« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2016, 10:50:59 AM »

Awful?

That's fair.  It is a upper middle ACC job. 

ACC jobs clearly better than Pitt:  Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, UVA

ACC jobs clearly worse than Pitt:  Are there any clearly worse than Pitt? ACC doesnt really have any bad jobs.  Clemson I guess based on total lack of success, and BC.  But Georgia Tech and Wake were very good not too long ago, and not sure I'd consider them clearly worse.

Not sure "upper middle" is the right classification.  Firmly in the middle (or lower middle) I'd say.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:55:03 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »

Awful?

99% of your posts are disagreements.  You are a contrarian. 

Why is Dixon bolting Pitt now and not four years ago when TCU went after him?  What's different now?   Is his loyalty suddenly greater than four years ago or the time before that?  He faces a stacked deck in the ACC and Pitt will NEVER be a consistent top five school in that conference with Virginia playing so well.  Duke and UNC will always be head and shoulders above them and the second tier of ND, Louisville, Syracuse and NC State are far more attractive destinations.  They barely finished 9th in the ACC this year and that where they would live with Dixon--worse with a lesser coach. 
There is a reason schools like BC and Pitt can't hold their own in the ACC.  Miami would be there too if they didn't have a ridiculous coach.  Once he's gone, they are going straight to the bottom. 

Pitt had two fantastic coaches over their run.  Your math is off, however, as they have only made 13 NCAA appearances since 1994.  They made ten straight starting 2002, but then have missed two of the last five, lost in the first round this year after squeaking in, and were blown out by 15 and 16 points in the other two years. 

Their recruiting is at the lowest it's been this century and they haven't had an NBA player or realistic NBA prospect recruited since they jumped to the ACC. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Panthers_men%27s_basketball
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:52:53 AM by Marillac »

kg44

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2016, 03:03:43 PM »
Local Pitt station (KDKA -CBS Affiliate) is reporting that Pitt job has been offered to Sean Miller.  Money is not an issue.  He is in town talking to Pitt.  50/50 chance the deal gets done.

Poison

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2016, 03:31:51 PM »
If Sean Miller goes the Pitt, that would mean that the coach who Rawlie Alkins committed to might want out of his LOI.

I was at Alumni Hall when Brian Shorter walked onto the court like he was Domique Wilkins having just scored 52 points against Georgetown. Shorter was held in check, and it was a very close game. We fouled Miller right as time was about to expire and we had a one point lead. He missed them both, and we won.

While some may think Arizona is a better job, Sean Miller went to Pitt, and despite a bad game vs us, he was good there. He was a big part of that program. I bet they work it out and he goes. Nothing like coaching your alma mater.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:33:30 PM by Poison »

kg44

« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »
I'd be surprised if he ends up at Pitt.  He denied the rumor on his twitter account.   

« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2016, 03:51:27 PM »
If Sean Miller goes the Pitt, that would mean that the coach who Rawlie Alkins committed to might want out of his LOI.

I was at Alumni Hall when Brian Shorter walked onto the court like he was Domique Wilkins having just scored 52 points against Georgetown. Shorter was held in check, and it was a very close game. We fouled Miller right as time was about to expire and we had a one point lead. He missed them both, and we won.

While some may think Arizona is a better job, Sean Miller went to Pitt, and despite a bad game vs us, he was good there. He was a big part of that program. I bet they work it out and he goes. Nothing like coaching your alma mater.

That was '91 Poison and I think he missed 1 of 2 not both.

I remember as well

They fouled him on the inbound.

Poison

« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2016, 04:12:45 PM »

That was '91 Poison and I think he missed 1 of 2 not both.

I remember as well

They fouled him on the inbound.

I guess you remembered better.

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »

Think Arizona is a better job than Pitt?  There is no comparison.  Arizona is a top 10 in the country job.  Not a bad reflection on pitt just reality.

« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2016, 05:49:10 PM »
Miller is staying

goredmen

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2016, 05:57:14 PM »
Miller is staying

Archie? Because everybody with common sense knew Sean wasn't leaving Arizona, plus he said so himself a couple hours ago

Pete88

« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2016, 05:58:06 PM »
Miller is staying

dominoes not falling then

« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2016, 06:02:08 PM »
Miller is staying

dominoes not falling then

Let's see who takes that Louisville and UNLV job

goredmen