Ian Steere - PF - NC State - ST. JOHN’S

• 83 replies

pmg911

Re: Ian Steere- (NC State, PF) 6'9/260
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2018, 03:23:44 PM »
Would he eligible for 2nd Semester next year..?

ras

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »
Would he eligible for 2nd Semester next year..?
Why not? He has to sit out a year. We are looking at 2nd semester next year.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:39:26 PM by ras »

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »
Why not? He has to sit out a year. We are looking at 2nd semester next year.

Was 2nd semester?

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2018, 12:34:36 AM »
Good chance elgible immediately next year. Worst case would be 2nd semester
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2018, 12:50:00 AM »
Good chance elgible immediately next year. Worst case would be 2nd semester
That would be mint as it is hard to assimilate a player into the rotation at mid season.

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2018, 09:20:27 AM »
Not getting minutes does not translate into not being good enough. Nor does transferring mean you're not good enough.

Sometimes coaching staffs change, log jam at position, injuries, and bad culture/experience.

Justin Simon played with Alonzo Trier and Rawle Aikens not exactly known for being great teammates. How was going to practice everyday? Probably not so fun. I don't know every guy's situation but glad they're here.

You ever leave a company to take a different job somewhere else? It's no different.
Go ahead and name a player who transferred to Mullin as a result of a coaching change. "Log jam at a position" is a fancy way of saying a coaching staff doesn't think the player in question is better then the other players in-front of him at his position. Justin Simon didn't transfer because he didn't like the culture with Alonzo Trier and Sean Miller.  He transferred because he only got 7.5 mins a game as a freshman and then was over recruited with Rawle coming in.  Same with Tariq, Seede, Eli Wright.  The post you quoted was in response to someone disagreeing with my notion that Mullin has done a subpar job recruiting because many of the transfer kids were highly rated coming out of hs.  I don't believe transfers have as much potential as a hs kid.  I would be more excited to have Luther Muhammad ranked 79 in his class then Eli Wright ranked 80 in his class because it was determined Eli didn't deserve pt as a freshman.

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2018, 09:43:59 AM »
Tariq Owens was one who transferred to us as a result of coaching change.

Tennessee fired Donnie Tyndall after one year following an NCAA investigation into his time at Southern Miss.  He had recruited Owens to Tennessee.

The point about Muhammed being better at 79 as a freshman  vs. Eli Wright at 80 as a transfer doesn't hold much weight.... It's partially about who is in front of them vs. their talent/potential.   We don't have many guys standing in the way of others that want to come here after a year on the bench. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:49:08 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
Go ahead and name a player who transferred to Mullin as a result of a coaching change. "Log jam at a position" is a fancy way of saying a coaching staff doesn't think the player in question is better then the other players in-front of him at his position. Justin Simon didn't transfer because he didn't like the culture with Alonzo Trier and Sean Miller.  He transferred because he only got 7.5 mins a game as a freshman and then was over recruited with Rawle coming in.  Same with Tariq, Seede, Eli Wright.  The post you quoted was in response to someone disagreeing with my notion that Mullin has done a subpar job recruiting because many of the transfer kids were highly rated coming out of hs.  I don't believe transfers have as much potential as a hs kid.  I would be more excited to have Luther Muhammad ranked 79 in his class then Eli Wright ranked 80 in his class because it was determined Eli didn't deserve pt as a freshman.

What transfers that we’ve gotten have you been disappointed with? Your dislike for them seems so weird to me.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2018, 10:44:36 AM »

So a few things.

1. Every transfer is for different reasons. No one can blanket say it's because of playing time nor is playing time an indication of skill. There are system, style, role, and usage that all factor.

2. Potential of HS vs Transfer- Again this is a case by case basis. You could arguably say that production of transfers might be greater due to a year of strength & conditioning and practice. I for one would have loved Luther Muhammed but I don't think Eli Wright was a direct substitute for him. I think it's fairer to say that Greg Williams is and I also think highly of him too.

3. Fantasy vs Reality- St. John's isn't or wasn't getting Justin Simon out of high school nor Mustapha Heron nor Sedee Keita. However they are on the roster now for multiple years. So who cares about their path here?

4. Scholarship balance. We finally have a plan and path to not recruiting a whole new team every 4 years like it's been for nearly the past decade. This is incredibly important to longevity.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »
Get ready

Per Julius Kim
NC State transfer Ian Steere @notorious21_ tells me he will announce his decision at 3PM today

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2018, 03:03:48 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille
4m4 minutes ago
St. John's has landed a commitment from NC State transfer Ian Steere. #sjubb

@NYPost_Brazille
3m3 minutes ago
With no open scholarships available, Ian Steere will be on financial aid this coming semester. #sjubb

@NYPost_Brazille
2m2 minutes ago
Ian Steere was a consensus four-star prospect out of HS. A true center. Played AAU with David Caraher. #sjubb

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2018, 03:09:12 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/11/23/st-johns-lands-n-c-state-transfer-ian-steere/

The 6-foot-9, 250-pound Fayetteville, N.C., native will seek a waiver to play beginning in the 2019-20 season because he played just five minutes in N.C. State’s season-opening 105-55 win over Mount St. Mary’s, scoring four points and grabbing four rebounds.

“I’m pretty confident that I’m going to get a waiver to play immediately in November [2019],” he said Friday by phone. “We’re going to try and get that, but we’ll see what happens.”

Re: Ian Steere- (NC State, PF) 6'9/260 - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »
Awesome. Welcome to sju!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
Nice get! Finally a much needed big boy.

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »
I'll take this transfer route all day. Needed a guy like this, don't really care how we get them. He'll still have 3 years of eligibility.

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »
Amazing get

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
Welcome!

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2018, 09:14:40 PM »
Great get as at worse he is a big body that every basketball team can use and he actually appears to be much more than that.

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2018, 12:20:02 AM »
Great news!!! Welcome aboard Ian! Need some bigs for sure.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:38:12 AM by RedStormNC »