Re: Damien Sears - F- Western Oklahoma State College - SJU Commit
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 03:30:11 PM »
6'7 230lbs JUCO, 12.8 PPG and 8.6 RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N1fW9u27XE

Re: Damien Sears - F- Western Oklahoma State College - SJU Commit
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 03:38:15 PM »
6'7 230lbs JUCO, 12.8 PPG and 8.6 RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N1fW9u27XE
Who knows how good this kid will be but it is really refreshing to see a highlight video with a kid performing back to the basket post moves.  Sears seems to really know how to use his size.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 03:39:04 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

Re: Damien Sears - F- Western Oklahoma State College - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »
Apparently he is a 2 Star recruit.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »
has 2 years left

Per Zach:

Damien Sears tore ACL last June, returned early and made all-region team.

New St. John's commit Damien Sears' coach: "His thing is he’s a bruiser. He’s every bit of 230. He knows how to throw his weight around, uses his body really well, and initiates contact. They wanted somebody to do the dirty work inside, an enforcer type of guy.”

Told St. John's saw Damien Sears during JUCO even at recent live period. Worked fast to land commitment.

ras

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 03:46:09 PM »
A junkyard dog.

wpc77

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 03:46:15 PM »
Will be 21 when he plays in the Fall.  Was at Jacksonville university from 2016-2018.  Was a redshirt for the first season there.  There did this: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/damien-sears-1.html.

Should have 2 years of eligibility

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »
We use to get abused down low.  Hopefully he can bang down low.

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 03:51:10 PM »
Kid looks strong, athletic with a nice inside out game. Anderson doing work.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 04:02:48 PM »
Like it. Checks a few boxes for us. Go get the big kid Thomas and we are off to a great start. Come on Figgy!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 04:19:11 PM »
This might be an unpopular opinion but I love players who shoot 44 percent from the free throw line and foul out of 20 percent of their games. Welcome Damien!

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »
This might be an unpopular opinion but I love players who shoot 44 percent from the free throw line and foul out of 20 percent of their games. Welcome Damien!
I thought you didn't care about recruiting?

Foad

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 04:45:02 PM »
I thought you didn't care about recruiting?

I don't care about who is being recruited. I do care about who commits, aka the players who will play for SJ. Like this marvelous 2-star recruit who shoots 40 percent from the FT line and fouled out every fourth game as a JUCO. Needless to say I'm very excited. Run CTC doing work.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »
We use to get abused down low.  Hopefully he can bang down low.
That's what she said.  ;) :)

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »
Honestly, I thought there were better JUCO talent still available for us to nab.  Now, I'm not sure whether we've put out any feelers or we did but were rebuffed. 

I don't know anything about Sears, and didn't see him on any top 25 or 100 JUCO lists.  I do know he was selected All-Region this season in JUCO, and he also tore his ACL about a year or so ago. 

He does display a decent drop step and seems like a "bruiser" per the video.  I view him as a reserve, but he may surprise me in the end. 

sju89tr

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
Honestly, I thought there were better JUCO talent still available for us to nab.  Now, I'm not sure whether we've put out any feelers or we did but were rebuffed. 

I don't know anything about Sears, and didn't see him on any top 25 or 100 JUCO lists.  I do know he was selected All-Region this season in JUCO, and he also tore his ACL about a year or so ago. 

He does display a decent drop step and seems like a "bruiser" per the video.  I view him as a reserve, but he may surprise me in the end. 

We need bodies and this is a 2 year investment. Get another 2 guys and we are good to go. Rather just go the grad transfer and 2 year juco route the rest of the way. WE have 10 I think right now. Hit the 2020 kids who are left .

goredmen

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 05:44:50 PM »
It's the middle of May, guys. There aren't a ton of quality options still available that a program like us can nab. We still need to fill out the roster and if the staff feels they found a player that fits their vision then can't be mad at it. It's never a bad thing if your 10th, 11th and 12th guys can give you a few solid minutes a game. That hasn't happened with the past 2 staffs

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »
We need bodies and this is a 2 year investment. Get another 2 guys and we are good to go. Rather just go the grad transfer and 2 year juco route the rest of the way. WE have 10 I think right now. Hit the 2020 kids who are left .

It's the middle of May, guys. There aren't a ton of quality options still available that a program like us can nab. We still need to fill out the roster and if the staff feels they found a player that fits their vision then can't be mad at it. It's never a bad thing if your 10th, 11th and 12th guys can give you a few solid minutes a game. That hasn't happened with the past 2 staffs

Y'all, I am very aware of the circumstances of our situation.  I know there are still better or supposedly better JUCO talent still unsigned, and wondered whether we attempted or attempted but was rejected.  It doesn't have to be a top 20 JUCO talent by any means, but still better available talent, nonetheless. 

Regardless, I have no qualms about the signing of Sears, and looking forward to see who else we bring in for the '19 class and beyond. 

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »
Looks like a guy who can rebound, which, going out on a limb, I assume he knows how to box out.
Rebounding is an attitude. Boxing out, knowing where a missed shot may land, positioning, etc., these skills are transferable. And, we need the depth. Hopefully a grad transfer PG is next.