Damien Sears - F- Western Oklahoma State College - ST. JOHN’S

• 38 replies

QuanMan

Re: Damien Sears - F- Western Oklahoma State College - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »
Learning as much as I have about CMA's eye for talent from HogNation's contributors on the 2 sites, I welcome any player that he thinks that is good for his system.

Looks like the PF depth chart is set:

Steere/Sears/Earlington, 3 durable interchangeable bodies for 40 minutes.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 07:49:24 PM »
He redshirted at D-1 Jacksonville for a year and then played 16 games, starting 6.

His foul rate is absurd! He also averaged .9 steals in just 16.3 mpg as a redshirt freshman which is bizarre for a PF.

I like the add. This is the type of kid you go the JUCO route for and they are always there. 15 mpg depth guy for a decent team IMO. The kid knows his role and we haven’t had a PF like that in many years.

I like that he has two years of experience in a D-1 program.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/damien-sears-1.html

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 05:32:44 AM »
This might be an unpopular opinion but I love players who shoot 44 percent from the free throw line and foul out of 20 percent of their games. Welcome Damien!

Do you think if he works hard in practice he will maybe be able to get it up to about 45%? He can pair with Earlington as the worst front court in the big east!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:33:23 AM by Aknel79 »

Poison

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »
This might be an unpopular opinion but I love players who shoot 44 percent from the free throw line and foul out of 20 percent of their games. Welcome Damien!

When you have a competent coaching staff players actually improve while they’re in college.

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
When you have a competent coaching staff players actually improve while they’re in college.

Looking foward to it.

DFF6

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 09:56:47 AM »

If you're right, and LJ comes back, he should be BE player of the year under CMA.

Johnny23

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
If you're right, and LJ comes back, he should be BE player of the year under CMA.

Improvement and BE POY are two entirely different things. LJ has a shot to be first or 2nd team all BE which would be a nice feat.

Foad

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 10:27:10 AM »
Learning as much as I have about CMA's eye for talent from HogNation's contributors on the 2 sites,

Remember when Lavin got hired and that CRGreen guy signed up for the site and droned on and on interminably about how Lavin was a great basketball mind and completely misunderstood and unfairly maligned and that any criticism of him was unwarranted slander by a delusional fan base? That's what these fan boys remind me of. Hopefully they're not as wrong as he was.

Foad

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 10:32:14 AM »
Do you think if he works hard in practice he will maybe be able to get it up to about 45%? He can pair with Earlington as the worst front court in the big east!

Probably another unpopular opinion, but I liked what I saw from Earlington last year.

Johnny23

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »
Remember when Lavin got hired and that CRGreen guy signed up for the site and droned on and on interminably about how Lavin was a great basketball mind and completely misunderstood and unfairly maligned and that any criticism of him was unwarranted slander by a delusional fan base? That's what these fan boys remind me of. Hopefully they're not as wrong as he was.

At least make an accurate comparison. Lavin was gifted the keys to a Ferarri at UCLA. Anderson did it at UAB and Mizzouri, hardly two bluebloods in the sport. But don't let specific details get in the way of your sweeping generalization of the two.

Foad

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
At least make an accurate comparison. Lavin was gifted the keys to a Ferarri at UCLA. Anderson did it at UAB and Mizzouri, hardly two bluebloods in the sport. But don't let specific details get in the way of your sweeping generalization of the two.

I was comparing two fans, not two coaches. Other than that nothing flew over your head.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 01:03:05 PM »
I was comparing two fans, not two coaches. Other than that nothing flew over your head.

Hilarious ... Also, agree on Earlington ...

Johnny23

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 03:07:59 PM »

You were comparing a fan's reaction to Lavin then and how that compares to some fans reaction to Anderson now. Like I said, no comparison between the coaches or their situations. Sit back and enjoy a real head coach.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
You were comparing a fan's reaction to Lavin then and how that compares to some fans reaction to Anderson now. Like I said

No, not like you said, like I said. Which is that I was comparing a Lavin fan boi's whitewashing of Lavin's reputation among the administration and other UCLA fans to a Run CTC fan boi's whitewashing of Anderson reputation among the administration and other UA fans. And I expressed the hope that these UA fans are more realistic about our current head coach than Green was about our former one, because he was wrong about almost everything.

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2019, 10:49:51 AM »
Go look up Coty Clarke at Arkansas. He's a fan favorite to this day. I think that's the impact you might see from Sears.

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »
Another guy who seems like a reach to fill bodies.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 02:08:56 PM »
Another guy who seems like a reach to fill bodies.

Based on what?

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 11:21:35 PM »
Earlington is not a Big East high level Division 1 player. Seems like a nice kid but he is not.

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 06:01:37 AM »
Earlington is not a Big East high level Division 1 player. Seems like a nice kid but he is not.

Would love to see St. John’s have a 10th, 11th, 12th or even 13th man sometime in my lifetime. Maybe he never even becomes a legitimate role player but there are ways to help a team besides producing in most games.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.