Derryck Thornton - PG - USC Grad Transfer

• 72 replies
Re: Derryck Thornton - PG - USC Grad Transfer
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2019, 11:34:57 PM »
How do you know that?

It’s been discussed on this site and it beat writers tweets with the source being, I believe, Simon’s father.

TONYD3

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »
It’s been discussed on this site and it beat writers tweets with the source being, I believe, Simon’s father.
Not what I read from any beat writer.

Foad

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »
Not what I read from any beat writer.

Learn to read better slingblade

"Justin Simon's father Ken said his son was going to test waters initially, but with Chris Mullin gone, made decision to go pro easy. Could've seen him coming back if Mullin was here. #sjubb"

Braziller.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1115763968923054081

Foad

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2019, 08:41:19 AM »
BC had one last year. DePaul zero

So infinity more times then.

Maybe he cares about academics? Duke (#8) --> USC (22) --> BC (38) vs SJU (152)

Poison

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »

I see. So Simon’s decision to go pro is apparently because Mike Anderson, (369-200) and not Chris Mullin (59-73) is now the head coach.

wpc77

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »
So infinity more times then.

Maybe he cares about academics? Duke (#8) --> USC (22) --> BC (38) vs SJU (152)

If that were so, he would have gone to ND, who approached him and were told no thanks.

Foad

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2019, 12:41:48 PM »
If that were so, he would have gone to ND, who approached him and were told no thanks.

Maybe he cares about academics and quality of life. Maybe he's a Bruins fan. Maybe he likes baked bean and chowdah. Maybe he holds a grudge against dook and so doesn't want to play for Brey. You seem to know a lot about this. Do you think he made a completely irrational decision? Because that seems to be what we're left with.

wpc77

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »
Maybe he cares about academics and quality of life. Maybe he's a Bruins fan. Maybe he likes baked bean and chowdah. Maybe he holds a grudge against dook and so doesn't want to play for Brey. You seem to know a lot about this. Do you think he made a completely irrational decision? Because that seems to be what we're left with.

people don't make mistakes?  some posters here make a mistake every time they get out of bed in the morning and log on

redslope

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »
BC is not so odd a choice when one considers he is heir apparent to Ky Bowman who is a likely to be drafted by an NBA team this week. 

wpc77

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2019, 02:05:48 PM »
BC is not so odd a choice when one considers he is heir apparent to Ky Bowman who is a likely to be drafted by an NBA team this week. 

Perhaps likely isn't the right word.  For example, Shamorie is listed by ESPN as the 46th best overall and 4th best point guard in the draft, while Bowman 70th and 11th, respectively.  Meaning that if Thornton had come to St John's, he would be an heir apparent to a player who is likely to be drafted, as opposed to Bowman, who is unlikely to be drafted.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:06:11 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »
I see. So Simon’s decision to go pro is apparently because Mike Anderson, (369-200) and not Chris Mullin (59-73) is now the head coach.

Don't understand why that's hard to figure out? Players commit to coaching staffs and systems. You think if LJ or Mustapha didn't have to sit out a  year they would be here?

Foad

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2019, 05:15:46 PM »
people don't make mistakes?  some posters here make a mistake every time they get out of bed in the morning and log on

Everyone makes mistakes, even me. It seems premature though to brand this decision one and maybe even presumptuous. Any one of a number of factors - some having nothing to do with basketball - could have influenced him. Boston's a great city. The ACC is a great league. BC is a superior academic school. I certainly don't blame him for deciding that St John's - to the extent SJ was a consideration, it being an irrelevant program with a first year head coach - might not be the best fit.

TONYD3

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2019, 05:37:23 PM »
Don't understand why that's hard to figure out? Players commit to coaching staffs and systems. You think if LJ or Mustapha didn't have to sit out a  year they would be here?
Players want to win also. DJ, Paris and the other 8 seniors might not have been thrilled when Norm was let go. They looked plenty happy after they won some games.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:38:17 PM by TONYD3 »